Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Is Software Hut Back In Business?  (Read 4995 times)

Description:

Offline BozzerBigD

Re: Is Software Hut Back In Business?
« Reply #14 from previous page: December 04, 2013, 01:33:03 PM »
Quote from: amigakit;753793
@BozzerBigD

We were trading in the Amiga market for a good few years before we acquired the Eyetech inventory.

I think there is a misunderstanding on how large the Amiga market is in reality.  From a professional Amiga business point of view, in this tiny worldwide market, extra competition is not necessarily good for us.  Margins are already wafer thin and our overheads/running costs are large, remember we have bills, taxes and wages to pay every month.  Our profits get re-invested back into Amiga projects so that we have new items to bring to the community next year.  We depend on every single order we get from our customer base, and appreciate it.
Sorry, I can see that you were already in business before the Eyetech inventory buyout;

From http://www.leamancomputing.com/?page=about
Company History
Leaman Computing was formed and started operations in July 2004.

Offices in Cardiff(UK) were opened in August 2006.

In September 2006, Leaman Computing announces acquisition of remaining stock from Eyetech Group, Limited.

On 6th April 2009 entire business was transferred to Leaman Computing Limited.

However, as far as most Amiga owners are concerned the fact that you had all that Eyetech stock really was the point where your public profile rose.
"Art challenges technology. Technology inspires the art."

John Lasseter, Co-Founder of Pixar Animation Studios

Offline eliyahu

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by eliyahu
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2013, 02:32:12 PM »
Quote from: BozzerBigD;753791
This sort of situation was how AmigaKit in the UK was started! The demise of Eyetech, the British equivalent of Software Hut was turned into a business opportunity as Leaman Computing bought up the stock and started AmigaKit. The rest if history!

Has Eldee Stephens thought about buying up the stock himself and becoming the new AmigaOS reseller/systems builder/peripheral shop for North America? I know there is an AmigaKit branch in San Francisco but this might be good competition for them!
thanks for the enthusiasm, but there's a huge difference between me and amigakit. matthew and the guys at amigakit are the real deal: professional staff, great service, guaranteed kit, the lot. there's no question that, at least for me, they're the first stop for anything anyone needs amiga-related.

i'm just a guy volunteering to help joe get rid of the remainder of his old stock. heck, it's taken me months to inventory the items because i've got a rather demanding full-time job (thank heavens), so just remember i'm just some hobbyist working in his basement in his spare time. there is no way i'd want to do this for a living.

that said i hope folks find the items of interest. i didn't anticipate anyone even finding out about it until i had finished my inventory and pricing work. this stuff literally gathered dust for years, and will be untested, so i don't want to get everyone's hopes up, but i think they'll be a few gems in there. but by all means if anyone needs anything for their classic or next-generation amigas, the first stop should always be the professionals at amigakit, relec, vesalia, amedia, GGS, and alinea.

'softhut redux' is just gonna be the equivalent of an electronic swap meet. :)

-- eliyahu
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here."

Offline motrucker

« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2013, 03:09:34 PM »
We were just talking about the Software Hut Bar B Q's yesterday. Interesting this should pop up just now.
A2000 GVP 40MHz \'030, 21Mb RAM SD/FF, 2 floppies, internal CD-ROM drive, micromys v3 w/laser mouse
A1000 Microbotics Starboard II w/2Mb 1080, & external floppy (AIRdrive)
C-128 w/1571, 1750, & Final Cartridge III+

Offline slaapliedje

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by slaapliedje
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2013, 06:38:45 PM »
Yeah, it's too bad it'd gone silent so long ago, I wanted one of those GVP accelerators, but couldn't afford it for so long... but then they disappeared (or the site was never updated, so I wasn't sure if they were still around) ended up getting a Cyberstorm MK1 68060 off of amibay, and paid a lot for it.

Cool that more stuff is out there to get, someone really needs a better US presence.  Sending hardware off to the UK to get them fixed is rather pricey.  

But my Amiga 4000D is working awesome after Amigakit's work on it!

slaapliedje
A4000D: Mediator 4000Di; Voodoo 3, ZorRAM 128MB, 10/100mb Ethernet, Spider 2. Cyberstorm PPC 060/50 604e/420.

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2013, 07:41:32 PM »
Quote from: TheMagicM;753776
I posted up looking for an Amiga 500.

Well here you go!  ;)

http://www.amiga.org/forums/showthread.php?t=66414
Amiga 500: 2MB Chip|16MB Fast|30MHz 68030+68882|3.9|Indivision ECS|GVP A500HD+|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|Cocolino|SCSI DVD-RAM
Amiga 2000: 2MB Chip|136MB Fast|50MHz 68060|3.9|Indivision ECS + GVP Spectrum|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|AD516|X-Surf 100|RapidRoad|Cocolino|SCSI CD-RW
 Amiga videos and other misc. stuff at https://www.youtube.com/CompTechMike/videos

Offline yssing

• Show only replies by yssing
    • http://www.yssing.org
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2013, 07:59:01 PM »
Quote from: amigakit;753796
We need to get the Prisma Sound Card out first- if that is successful, we will of course look at other viable projects.

It would be so awesome if you could produce a new graphics card.

Offline magnetic

• Show only replies by magnetic
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2013, 10:19:24 PM »
Quote from: BozzerBigD;753791
I know there is an AmigaKit branch in San Francisco but this might be good competition for them!

There is no us branch of Amigakit its a front for the uk operation.
bPlan Pegasos2 G4@1ghz
Quad Boot:Reg. MorphOS | OS4.1 U4 |Ubuntu GNU-Linux | MacOS X

Amiga 2000 Rom Switcher w/ 3.1 + 1.3 | HardFrame SCSI | CBM Ram board| A Squared LIVE! 2000 | Vlab Motion | Firecracker 24 gfx

Commodore CDTV: 68010 | ECS | 9mb Ram | SCSI -TV | 3.9 Rom | Developer EPROMs

Offline Darth_X

• Show only replies by Darth_X
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2013, 10:32:18 PM »
Quote from: eliyahu;753798
'softhut redux' is just gonna be the equivalent of an electronic swap meet. :)

-- eliyahu

Just don't limit yourself to Amibay, that is THE Amiga Horder zone...

ps: I'm surprised no one uses Amazon to sell Amiga stuff...

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2013, 11:31:09 PM »
Quote from: Darth_X;753821
Just don't limit yourself to Amibay, that is THE Amiga Horder zone...

ps: I'm surprised no one uses Amazon to sell Amiga stuff...

I use amazon to sell surplus PC items, processors and server equipment and whatnot, from my office. Payment terms are good and inventory management is nice, but they absolutely *rape* you on shipping charges by setting them artificially low - because everyone who buys stuff on amazon expects low shipping prices, regardless of what the seller actually has to *pay* to ship the item. Ya just can't win! :destroy:
Amiga 500: 2MB Chip|16MB Fast|30MHz 68030+68882|3.9|Indivision ECS|GVP A500HD+|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|Cocolino|SCSI DVD-RAM
Amiga 2000: 2MB Chip|136MB Fast|50MHz 68060|3.9|Indivision ECS + GVP Spectrum|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|AD516|X-Surf 100|RapidRoad|Cocolino|SCSI CD-RW
 Amiga videos and other misc. stuff at https://www.youtube.com/CompTechMike/videos

Offline wrath of khan

• Show only replies by wrath of khan
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2013, 12:20:31 AM »
Some day soon my old a500 will got to amigakit for a clean and a fix.
Can't for the life of me part with that old thing.
Its the first amiga I had from way back in 1990.