Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Should we really crack IBrowse 2.4???  (Read 52916 times)

Description:

Offline a-pexTopic starter

• Show only replies by a-pex
Should we really crack IBrowse 2.4???
« on: April 09, 2008, 07:22:54 PM »
ADMINS: I know this post is a provocation, but please read the full post, before deleting it...

Hello Amiga-Community,

now we have the same situation like with MiamiDX. On the one side we have a very, very good product, on the other side the programmers are no more interested in selling it. :-(

Now it is more than 1 year gone and it is still not possible to buy IBrowse 2.4 anywhere!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am writing this post because in my german amiga-forum more than 30 users are willing to buy it, but no reaction from the programmers.

Andreas Magerl (AmigaFuture) and many other people tried to get in touch with the IBrowse programmers, to sell IBrowse 2.4 again with no result :-(

I am really asking me whats going on in the brain from the programmers? There are so many people willing to buy this product without any possibility.

That is the reason why I asked this provocation question about cracking IBrowse 2.4. It seems they are no more interested in a legal product.

Maybe someone from the IBrowse team can comment this? Why are you not answering the emails? Why are you no more interested to sell IBrowse 2.4????

Re: Should we really crack IBrowse 2.4???
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2008, 07:25:12 PM »
And if they are no more interested in selling their product, why they do not release a key for the community! :-(

If someone from the IBrowse team is reading, please contact me, I will buy many keyfiles for my community in germany!!!

Offline Boot_WB

• Show only replies by Boot_WB
    • http://www.hullchimneyservices.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2008, 07:26:29 PM »
Errr, no.

Use the time limited version or the demo for now, continue to be patient and continue trying to contact the developers.

Otherwise, chances are, there will be no Ibrowse v3.

Why kill off development of the best Amiga Browser, and the only native one still in development?
Mac Mini G4 (1.5GHz, 64MB VRam, 1GB Ram): MorphOS 3.6
Powerbook 5.8 (15", 1.67GHz, 128MB VRam, 1GB Ram): MorphOS 3.8.

Windows-free since 2011-2014 (Damn you Netflix!)

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2008, 07:41:09 PM »
This is more a provocation than a real intensions!

But how long can we patient? Writing emails and getting no answer? At the moment you can sell it to the community, they still want to buy 2.4 for 68k. But waiting one or two years more make this impossible...

Offline mfletcher

• Show only replies by mfletcher
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2008, 07:52:14 PM »
All this talk of Cracking software will just cause the original developers of IBrowse to withdraw completely from the community.

If the IBrowse developers do not wish to sell the software any more, that is their right.

I think instead of threatening to crack the software if they do not re-release it, perhaps you should ask them instead of release the source for IBrowse under an open source license. That way other people can pick up the code and keep working on it, and the original IBrowse developers will still retain credit for the work they've done so far.

Offline spihunter

• Show only replies by spihunter
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2008, 08:03:01 PM »
I think instead of threatening to crack the software if they do not re-release it, perhaps you should ask them instead of release the source for IBrowse under an open source licens

How are you going to do that if they dont answer any emails or any attempt to contact them?

I dont think anyone should crack it either but what is up with people not even willing to take money for their product?

Offline kreciu

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2008, 08:27:15 PM »
Hello,

I wouldn't only focus on IBrowse...

I would like to register Prayer 2 (I figured it's open source now but I can't find a "key"...), no answer from author.

The same with MUI3.8, IBrowse no answer.

I understand that there is not so many of US, but there are people who are ready to PAY for software. How many?... enought to sell OS4.0 with nice box and CD ;). I don't need box and CD? Can be download version.

People buying a hardware for $2000 and there is nobody to write a software for it?

BTW. When you look for auctions on ebay there is like 30 or more people willing to pay this money... (I also would like to buy ORIGINAL software and pay for Shark or SAM440 this $700)

BTW2 ;). How many people is using a UAE and could buy SAM440 (with OS4.0) and... I'm tired of that (I always was ;) )

Re-A1200inE/BOX/3.2/AmigaOS3.2/TF1260@66Mhz/256Mb/MediatorTX/R9200SE/SpiderUSB/LAN/SB128/16Gb-CF/DVD-ROM/FDD-HD

Offline Fransexy_

• Show only replies by Fransexy_
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2008, 08:38:02 PM »
I would like to register Prayer 2 (I figured it's open source now but I can't find a "key"...), no answer from author.

Yes, Prayer 2 is open source if you want the full version pick up the source code and compile it
DON\'T TAKE LIFE SO SERIOUSLY AFTER ALL NOBODY GETS OUT ALIVE OF IT

Offline Matt_H

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2008, 08:43:39 PM »
Don't even think about it. Despite the embarrassingly slow pace of development, it's still an active product. Cracking it would not only be illegal (as obtaining the full version of Miami technically still is), but extremely unethical.

The website says "Temporarily unavailable for purchase". They lost their distributor when IOSpirit withdrew from the market, and as much as the developers may deserve some blame for not taking more interest in finding a new one -  for a commercial product that people want to buy, no less - cracking the product is not warranted. A keyfile leaked today will have profound (negative) repercussions on the future of the program. A market this hostile to developers shouldn't expect to hold onto them. Frankly, it's a miracle we have any left. Remember that, legally, there's no such thing as abandonware.

Be polite when contacting the developers. A message threatening to pirate the program is not a good way to draw attention to the problem that it's unavailable. Try asking for a development update on the mailing list. Oliver Roberts, author of the Warp#? datatypes and a member of the IBrowse team, seems to be more forthcoming with information, so try to connect with him.

What are your other options?
-Put up with the demo limitations.
-Use AWeb
-Buy OS4 and use the less-restricted OEM version.

Offline futaura

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2008, 08:47:43 PM »
In my view, this is a completely different situation to Miami(Dx).  In that case, Holger kinda disappeared completely and wouldn't respond to e-mails, etc, let alone accept registrations.  And, IIRC, he was handling his own registrations so it was his choice to stop.

IBrowse on the other hand is still in active development, and in the past a third party has always handled distribution.  It was unfortunate that IOSPIRIT pulled out when they did (i.e. a couple of months after 2.4 was released) because if I had known that in advance, we may have been better off switching to another distributor to tie in the 2.4 release.  On the flipside, Amiga users have had years to buy IBrowse 2.x, so I don't think all the blame can be pushed in our direction.  I remember buying IBrowse 1.x in 1996 and 2.0 in 1999 - that's over 8 years in which people were able to buy IBrowse and those keys from 8 years ago are valid for 2.4 also.

I also refute the claim that we do not answer e-mails - I do, and I know Dave does too.  Most people will know we also post on the mailing list, and on various other Amiga forums, like this one.

Anyway, enough of that stuff.  What matters is the future...  A number of distributors have been in touch with us, and apologies if we haven't replied to some of the smaller (or work-in-progress) ones because we have pretty much decided on who will be distributing IBrowse in the future.  The sticking point is that Stefan has been very busy lately and not involved much in IBrowse, and it is he who needs to sort out the distribution stuff.  Not that this really affects development considering Stefan was involved all that much in the development of IBrowse 2.4 compared to the rest of us (as the history log shows - so, no disrespect to Stefan intended there :)).

Offline kreciu

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2008, 08:49:59 PM »
Do you believe that anybody who us turning Amiga on and off now how to "compile" anything? Do you know how your body/organism respond for a virus infections? O, I forget you are not a doctor of medicine? :-o
Re-A1200inE/BOX/3.2/AmigaOS3.2/TF1260@66Mhz/256Mb/MediatorTX/R9200SE/SpiderUSB/LAN/SB128/16Gb-CF/DVD-ROM/FDD-HD

Offline Matt_H

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2008, 09:03:45 PM »
@ futaura

Thanks for the info update - always appreciated.

Offline kreciu

« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2008, 09:10:54 PM »
On the flipside, Amiga users have had years to buy IBrowse 2.x, so I don't think all the blame can be pushed in our direction. I remember buying IBrowse 1.x in 1996 and 2.0 in 1999 - that's over 8 years in which people were able to buy IBrowse and those keys from 8 years ago are valid for 2.4 also.

Good so I bought couple months ago used Ibrowse so I will try to use a key :).

Offline amigagr

• Show only replies by amigagr
    • http://www.amigahellas.gr
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2008, 09:15:22 PM »

kreciu wrote:
Good so I bought couple months ago used Ibrowse so I will try to use a key :).

...so why are you compain for?
A3040/25 AmigaOS 3.9
A1260BPPC AmigaOS 3.9/4.0
Sam440ep AmigaOS 4.1.2
PegasosII/G3 AmigaOS 4.1.2/MorphOS 2.7/Debian 5.0.7/SUSE 11.1
MacMini/G4 1.5 MorphOS 2.7/OSX 10.5.8
Long Live Amiga

If i am going to have bugs on my system,
at least let me keep the latest versions.
Neil Bothwick

Offline Fransexy_

• Show only replies by Fransexy_
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2008, 09:19:15 PM »

kreciu wrote:
Do you believe that anybody who us turning Amiga on and off now how to "compile" anything?

No, obviously.I just gave you a concrete solution about the problem of Prayer 2 :-)

Do you know how your body/organism respond for a virus infections? O, I forget you are not a doctor of medicine? :-o

Yes, i know.Not a doctor of medicine but a Degree in biology         :-P  ;-)
DON\'T TAKE LIFE SO SERIOUSLY AFTER ALL NOBODY GETS OUT ALIVE OF IT