Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Commodore 1084S-P PAL - No picture or sound  (Read 645 times)

Description:

Offline Macross_VF1Topic starter

Commodore 1084S-P PAL - No picture or sound
« on: October 26, 2023, 10:03:32 PM »
New here and I am reaching out to the hivemind for some assistance. So recently my Commodore 1084S-P PAL decided to stop working. I wasn't at the screen when it happened, I was away from it for a bit and when I came back it was just black. It does power on and I can hear a slight buzzing sound from the flyback, but not the whine that seems to be common with failed flybacks.

The strangest part is that not only do I get no picture, I also do not get any sound. I would check voltages but I don't even know where to begin with this, and the schematics found on Zimmers.net doesn't seem to cover the PAL version. I'm well aware that a charged CRT is a potentially deadly device, so I've spent several hours checking out several safety videos on Youtube before even opening up the shell.

Please Amiga.org hivemind, you are my only hope!

Offline Macross_VF1Topic starter

Re: Commodore 1084S-P PAL - No picture or sound
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2023, 05:43:09 PM »
I've been able to find this post on EEVblog and that person seems to have experienced very similar problems as me. In particular I've been able to measure the same low voltages as him, 56v, 11v and 7v, coming from the power board when it is connected to the main board.

The solution for his problem was a new flyback so I desoldered the flyback from my monitor and sure enough the voltages from the power board returned to almost normal. It should be 125v, 26v and 16v but is actually 125V, 24V and 14V, but I figure some small variation is likely ok while the flyback is removed).

https://www.eevblog.com/.../repair/repair-commodore-1084s-p/