Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Barry Altman and Commodore USA  (Read 60413 times)

Description:

Offline HammerD

Re: Barry Altman and Commodore USA
« Reply #44 on: September 03, 2010, 03:31:31 PM »
Quote from: Iggy;577449
This could fail too. Most new business' fail. It doesn't mean he hasn't got the right to try. Especially if he's negotiated the rights to use the trademarks and the only funds hes risking are his own.

The last attempt to resurrect Indian Motorcycles in the US failed. Someone else will probably try it again in the future. These things happen.

What if he succeeds?

Iggy, did you ask him anything about:

1) How many employees C= USA has?
2) Does he plan to do any SOFTWARE DEVELOPMENT for AROS? Or in any other way to support and promote it?

He's bought the C= name, the Amiga name rights, and plans to sell x86 boxes in old C= style cases and throw on bundled OS's.   Not very exciting and not interesting if he doesn't plan to support and augment AROS development.
AmigaOS 4.x Beta Tester - Classic Amiga enthusiast - http://www.hd-zone.com is my Amiga Blog, check it out!

Offline jj

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by jj
« Reply #45 on: September 03, 2010, 03:32:54 PM »
To throw my view in here.

Anyone who thinks windows sucks is blinded by Microsoft hatred.  Anyone who thinks MacOS is king is deluded.

Anyone who thinks Amiga can make any sort of comeback outside of ourr small niche hobby market is deluded.

Enjoy things for what they are.  And for god sake try out MorphOS if you can.
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” - George Bernard Shaw

Xbox Live: S0ulA55a551n2

Registered MorphsOS 3.13 user on Powerbook G4 15"

Offline RRunner

• Show only replies by RRunner
« Reply #46 on: September 03, 2010, 04:41:50 PM »
Quote from: JJ;577536

Anyone who thinks windows sucks is blinded by Microsoft hatred.  Anyone who thinks MacOS is king is deluded.

Anyone who thinks Amiga can make any sort of comeback outside of ourr small niche hobby market is deluded.

Well said...
-=>The RoadRunner<=-
A2000 030/40Mhz, 8Mb RAM, 1GB HD
AmiKit

Offline hooligan

• Show only replies by hooligan
    • http://www.mikseri.net/hooligan
« Reply #47 on: September 03, 2010, 04:43:58 PM »

Agree on ALL accounts. I might add, anyone who thinks Linux-variants are for casual computer-user are deluded as well ;)

Offline runequester

• It\'s Amiga time!
    • Show only replies by runequester
« Reply #48 on: September 03, 2010, 04:44:34 PM »

actually, I think windows sucks because it can't do what I need it to do.

Offline Franko

• Show only replies by Franko
« Reply #49 on: September 03, 2010, 04:57:11 PM »

Have to agree here...

I am blinded by Microsoft Hatred and proud to be... :)

I use a Mac for the internet and it certainly has left me deluded... :)

I do think the Amiga could make a comeback if it was in the right hands... :)

I enjoy my Amiga for what it is... :)

Tried Morphos and it sucks... :)

Offline dammy

• Show only replies by dammy
« Reply #50 on: September 03, 2010, 05:00:38 PM »
Quote from: tone007;577461
Not really sure what you're getting at, but the Terons, X1000s, and SAMs actually do something different than a generic x86 PC and have a place, running OS4.1.  Call them whatever you want, but they're required hardware if you want OS4.1.

Yet they are still not "Amiga"s, nor could they be legally or ethically called an "Amiga".   No special chipset, just a SoC that anyone can buy and breadboard their own system with.  So what's the difference between them and x86_64 except you pay a huge price to run OS4 on a PPC mobo that is inferior.

Speaking of difference between PPC and x86, more news from http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9182103/Update_Mozilla_mulls_end_of_support_for_PowerPC_Macs and http://my.opera.com/desktopteam/blog/2010/08/30/tea to see where PPC is headed.
Dammy

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Arix-OS/414578091930728
Unless otherwise noted, I speak only for myself.

Offline mongo

• Show only replies by mongo
« Reply #51 on: September 03, 2010, 05:22:07 PM »
Quote from: dammy;577549
Yet they are still not "Amiga"s, nor could they be legally or ethically called an "Amiga".   No special chipset, just a SoC that anyone can buy and breadboard their own system with.

Yeah. Give that a try sometime and let me know how it works out for you.

Offline tone007

« Reply #52 on: September 03, 2010, 05:51:20 PM »
So what's the difference between them and x86_64 except you pay a huge price to run OS4 on a PPC mobo that is inferior.

Read veeery carefully.  

Call them whatever you want, but they're required hardware if you want OS4.1.

The x86 will not run OS4.1.  This is the difference.  This is why the PPC systems exist, whether or not they're "Amigas," they run AmigaOS.  Obviously, if you don't want to run OS4.1, you don't buy one of the overpriced PPC systems.
3 Commodore file cabinets, 2 Commodore USB turntables, 1 AmigaWorld beer mug
Alienware M14x i7 laptop running AmigaForever

Offline mongo

• Show only replies by mongo
« Reply #53 on: September 03, 2010, 06:12:18 PM »
Speaking of difference between PPC and x86, more news from http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9182103/Update_Mozilla_mulls_end_of_support_for_PowerPC_Macs and http://my.opera.com/desktopteam/blog/2010/08/30/tea to see where PPC is headed.

Two web browsers dropping support for 5+ year old Macs is supposed to tell me about the future of PPC how exactly?

Offline dammy

• Show only replies by dammy
« Reply #54 on: September 03, 2010, 06:13:06 PM »
Quote from: tone007;577555
Read veeery carefully.  

The x86 will not run OS4.1.  This is the difference.  This is why the PPC systems exist, whether or not they're "Amigas," they run AmigaOS.  Obviously, if you don't want to run OS4.1, you don't buy one of the overpriced PPC systems.

Maybe not today, tomorrow you never know.  I know, with PPC sinking fast below the surface, not too many people will put the time and effort into a PPC emulator or improve the one that is out in the wild already.   However, last I heard,  doesn't MOS have a OS4 emulator?
Dammy

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Arix-OS/414578091930728
Unless otherwise noted, I speak only for myself.

Offline IggyTopic starter

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #55 on: September 03, 2010, 06:15:17 PM »
Quote from: HammerD;577535
Iggy, did you ask him anything about:

1) How many employees C= USA has?
2) Does he plan to do any SOFTWARE DEVELOPMENT for AROS? Or in any other way to support and promote it?

He's bought the C= name, the Amiga name rights, and plans to sell x86 boxes in old C= style cases and throw on bundled OS's.   Not very exciting and not interesting if he doesn't plan to support and augment AROS development.

Now there's a couple of good questions. I've been trying to think of them myself without getting blindsided by my own sentiment.
First, no the company does not have a lot of employees (but then neither does A-eon). Altman's other business does have a large warehouse, office space, and employees to help move stock.
At this point, I don't think he needs that many people.
He is interested in AROS, and must have tried it since he mentioned that sound doesn't work properly on his current system.
He also asked my how long I thought it would take to get AROS up to the level where it could be sold in a commercial product. That question's difficult to answer. I'm not comfortable with the idea, since I feel that selling AROS in its current state might lead to product returns.
Altman does seem interested in seeing AROS move forward. I think he's a little  wary since he approached one developer about the sound drivers and was quoted a pretty large sum.
But if whomever is in charge in the AROS project were to contact him, they could probably establish a relationship.

Now, as to the one post that stated that Winboxes could do want they wanted. If you can't do it under Windows, what platform can you do it under? And what is IT?
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline tone007

« Reply #56 on: September 03, 2010, 06:21:28 PM »
Quote from: dammy;577564
Maybe not today, tomorrow you never know.

Maybe you don't, but I think most people have a pretty good idea that OS4.1 won't be ported to x86 by tomorrow!  As for years down the road, who knows, doesn't make any difference to people who want to do this stuff today.

However, last I heard,  doesn't MOS have a OS4 emulator?

Maybe.  Linux has a Windows emulator too.  Still not OS4, and still running on PPC (sorry, x86!)
3 Commodore file cabinets, 2 Commodore USB turntables, 1 AmigaWorld beer mug
Alienware M14x i7 laptop running AmigaForever

Offline runequester

• It\'s Amiga time!
    • Show only replies by runequester
« Reply #57 on: September 03, 2010, 06:21:29 PM »
Quote from: Iggy;577567

Now, as to the one post that stated that Winboxes could do want they wanted. If you can't do it under Windows, what platform can you do it under? And what is IT?

The needs:
Centralized software installation and updating system for everything.
Ownership of my software.
Stability and a system that does not degrade with use.
Good support for multiple users on the same system, with me being able to define capabilities of each user very specifically.
Little to no need for reboots.
Can modify, distribute and hack without legal trouble.
Can change window managers and UI's depending on need and whim.
Not needing multiple software solutions running to ensure basic security.

The answer for me is linux.

I don't really want to derail the thread with the whole OS wars thing, but linux does what I need from it. OS X and windows fails multiple of the above criteria.

Offline Nlandas

• Show only replies by Nlandas
« Reply #58 on: September 03, 2010, 06:32:02 PM »
Quote from: TheGoose;577425
Wow , he's a savvy business man because he knows "Commodore" still has brand recognition! Golly I never thought of that, Wow.

Almost like a double rainbow!

Iggy. No.

OMG, It's starting to look like a triple rainbow.

I love double rainbows.......
I think, Therefore - Amiga....

Offline GobanToba

• Show only replies by GobanToba
« Reply #59 from previous page: September 03, 2010, 06:32:41 PM »
Quote from: tone007;577555
Read veeery carefully.  

It seems to me PPC systems exist at this point solely because of Hyperion's refusal to port to x86.  You're using PPC soley because you're at the whim of Hyperion.

It seems Hyperion has been at a cross-roads several times.  Recently here again with the X1000.  Hyperion had a choice as they have so many times before.  Spend there resources moving toward $3000 old technology or port to modern hardware.  They have been faced with this situation and every time they choose the expensive old hardware over moving toward something that had a future.

It's almost surreal that these guys keep sticking with this method.  If these are the types of choices they make in hardware why would you trust their software programming choices?

I certainly don't feel Friedens get to choose what Amiga becomes, nor do I feel Amiga Inc., get to dictate what Amiga becomes, nor H&P, and that is why I think AROS is the true Amiga Operating System.  I hope they get a license from AI to call it "Amiga Workbench" soon.  

If a case has a name saying Commodore Amiga, super cool with me.  A case is not why I use Amiga though.  AROS spirit is why I use Amiga.