Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Fun with Kickstart 1.4 (A3000)  (Read 6112 times)

Description:

Offline LocalH

• Show all replies
Re: Fun with Kickstart 1.4 (A3000)
« on: August 14, 2004, 04:10:14 AM »
The reason you got two different Kickstart revisions is because you were actually running two different Kickstarts. Early A3000's used a hardware 1.4 ROM to boot to the OS selection menu which then would softkick either 1.3 or 2.0. When you booted with the SuperKickstart, you were running the Kickstart on that disk, obviously, whereas when you got the 1.4 bootup screen you were actually running the hardware 1.4 ROM.

Offline LocalH

• Show all replies
Re: Fun with Kickstart 1.4 (A3000)
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2004, 01:29:38 AM »
The various betas are floating around on P2P networks, although they are in other collections like TOSEC (IOW, there is no 'Kickstarts - Beta' collection). 1.4a15 and 1.4b1 are in the TOSEC Kickstart and Workbench collections, and there are some miscellaneous 2.0 builds buried within the TOSEC Amiga Applications collection. I am currently in the middle of compiling some Amiga screenshots for a friend's site, so in the process I will make a list of all the current Kickstart and Workbench prototypes I have (I will say this - there are more proto Kickstart images than there are Workbenches to go with them - so I just test many of the 2.0 Kickstarts with the earliest 2.0 I could find, which was the A3000-bundled version), and whether the ROM is a standard Kickstart at $F00000 (512K)/$F80000 (256K), or a 'special' one meant for softkicking with either Kickit or Rekick. It would be nice if WinUAE natively supported Kickit/Rekick images, but for now i just boot with 1.3, CTRL-D out of the startup-sequence, and run Kickit to load the softkick image.

There is no extras disk that I know of for 1.4a15, all I have is Workbench. 1.4b1 does come with four disks, one of which has Kickit and the $200000 Kickstart image, one is the Workbench, one is Extras, and one is Autodocs+Includes.

Edit: Also, for the record - when booting 1.4b1 (as listed in the filename), the boot image says "1.4 Alpha 18".