Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: 64bit OS...  (Read 3784 times)

Description:

Offline Trev

• Zero
    • Show only replies by Trev
Re: 64bit OS...
« Reply #29 from previous page: August 12, 2008, 09:51:11 PM »
Well then, you want VMware ESX (yeah, it's Linux-based, but it's not a general purpose environment). Install what you need on top of that.

Or go with Windows Server 2008 Enterprise with Hyper-V.

In either case, you can host WinXP 32-bit for everyday putzing around.

Offline NostalgiacTopic starter

• Show only replies by Nostalgiac
« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2008, 10:02:45 PM »

cv643d wrote:
Myself I am going to up from 4 to 8 GB and run Ubuntu 64-bit and XP32 in VMWare.

Sure 64-bit Vista is great, mind bogling, the computer never slows down! Running Unrar on 100 GB of downloaded torrents, downloading a torrent at 700 KB/s and working just normal with IE, Photoshop etc at the same time. Its truly a workstation.  

4 cores sure help a lot. But Vista has not been so stable for me. And I have had quite a lot of problems. Plug in your PSP, need drivers (what driver?  :crazy: )

Plug in 320 GB IDE hard drive, can not install, need drivers ( :-? ), goes to Seagates homepage "your hard drive does not need drivers" WTF  :madashell:

I could make a long list, but the truth is out there anyway, (on the net  :rtfm: ).

If Vista feels this fast on quad core + 4 GB, I wonder if the computer is going to take off from my table running Ubuntu with 8GB  :-D  (already running Ubuntu on my P4 server and I am impressed, coming from BSD background before).

thing is... I tried Ubuntu 7.x on my hardware, also tried Suse 11.0 - didn't recognise all stuff... Sol x86 did ok, so did (the dreadful beta of) vista 32bit - hence I'm so much in doubt... :/

vista in my VM does ok, and as far as I can tell I can switch of a lot of the "urg" stuff like the new startmenu and aero.

On the other hand I love Solaris as a server OS; not so much as a desktop :-(

Tom UK
2000/2060/128mb/2320/2gb/C64-3D/Hydra-Aminet on OS 3.9

c128/1541/1750/1351 with Dolphin Dos and eprom burner

Offline AeroMan

• Show only replies by AeroMan
« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2008, 01:18:19 AM »
I`m a little disapointed with Ubuntu also. It never worked well with my video (the screen got a bit streched in some modes), QuickTime movies never worked nice and I had some strange problems recognizing my second HD with Windows.

Last week it just stopped working, so I`ve reformated the hard drive, and made one partition with good and old Kurumin and another with AROS.

Kurumin always worked nice on my machine, and AROS in the hard drive is way better than in the live CD

Offline InTheSand

• Show only replies by InTheSand
    • http://www.ali.geek.nz
« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2008, 07:52:57 AM »
I've been pretty pleased with 64-bit Ubuntu - admittedly the recent 8.x version rather than the old 7.x. At least 64-bit applications are plentiful on Linux...

But I also have a Vista 64-bit machine - fairly happy with that most of the time, apart from some of the older bits of hardware that are no longer supported (but ironically work fine under 64-bit Linux!)

- Ali

Offline stefcep2

• Show only replies by stefcep2
« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2008, 09:07:00 AM »

InTheSand wrote:
I've been pretty pleased with 64-bit Ubuntu - admittedly the recent 8.x version rather than the old 7.x. At least 64-bit applications are plentiful on Linux...

But I also have a Vista 64-bit machine - fairly happy with that most of the time, apart from some of the older bits of hardware that are no longer supported (but ironically work fine under 64-bit Linux!)

- Ali

I have Ubuntu 64 bit and have pretty much everything working.  But i cannot feel any performance advantage compared to 32 bit Ubuntu. I thought media encoding would be faster, but dvd and mp3 encoding speed is identical.