Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: a foolish inconsistancy  (Read 1710 times)

Description:

Offline Will-i-amTopic starter

• Show only replies by Will-i-am
a foolish inconsistancy
« on: September 03, 2006, 03:26:35 PM »
I wasn't sure where to put this question so if it has to be moved, that's cool with me. I have this Sony running WinME at the moment because it was a hand me down from my sister and my buddy died before he could upgrade it for me. I don't yet have an external HD to back up my files and switch to XP. Nevertheless it is a slow silly machine that I get to use because everybody else here has nice laptops with wireless connectivity. Since I'm the least techy I get the oogy box.

I know ME is nasty and all but shouldn't computers be consistant in their actions, especially in the start up? When Larry got this thing working he had a password requestor come up at the begining, mostly, he said, out of habit for security, but we always just cancel it away. I've never been able to find out how to make it go away at startup. This morning I turn the box on and the various black and white screens pop up with the lists of cards etc. Then it says that Setup is updating the configuration files and asks me to wait. Nobody in the house admits to having done anything to it to change any kind of configuration file. I've only seen it do this when I added something, so I'm confused about this. Normally it would go from the black and white startup screens to the password box. This time it cheerfully skipped the password requestor and went right to the desktop. Can anybody here come up with an explanation? We have firewalls and anti-virus protection with up to date files. The machine was powered down last night so should not have been even vulnerable, but here we have a real variant startup. I can only think of bugs and worms, yet the protection we have says the machine is clean, and besides, what kind of bug cleans up your startup for you?

Do we have a ghost in the machine? Has Larry manifested to finish the job he started? Any ideas?

Offline Zac67

• Show only replies by Zac67
Re: a foolish inconsistancy
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2006, 03:57:45 PM »
Win 9x/ME are single user only (multiple profiles can be activated, but the implementation is horrible), so there's no actual security bound to a user account.

The whole login thing is just to authenticate you to your list of stored network passwords (if any). If you hit cancel, there will be no automatic passwords available. If you enter a new user name (i.e. on that hasn't been used before), the system just adds the new password list for that user and that's it. I guess someone's just tried a new user name. If the password is empty, the user will be 'logged on' automatically the next time the system starts.

To reuse a user 'account' you don't know the password for, just erase his password list 'c:\windows\.pwl'.

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2006, 12:55:56 AM »
Thanks. I actually understand that part. What I can't figure out is why, if I am the only person using this machine, would it occasionally start up without asking for a network password? Not suddenly stop asking forever after, just sometimes it doesn't ask and most of the time it does. I was (perhaps foolishly) under the impression that computers are so useful, in part, because they always spit out the same answer to the same question. There is no randomness in the computer universe, it's all controlled by finite numbers. Thus when you power up a computer, if you have not added a program, file or hardware, it will always act the same upon startup. This silly box occasionally fails to request a password. Now, in the larger scheme of things it doesn't matter a rat's behind, except I wish it would never ask for a password and so far doing what you suggest has failed to eliminate the requester. But I really want to understand what determines the inconsistant nature of the startup? Assuming that no one has changed things after I turn it off and go to bed, why would it boot up in a unique manner the next day? I've actually had people suggest my wife is trying to drive me crazy, but anyone who knows me knows it's way too late for that, and I don't think she'd bother. Still, it wrinkles my frontal lobe that a logic machine would act in an illogical manner.

Is there a program that would keep a list of what is happening inside the machine upon powering up and thus enable me to compare daily startups? Maybe even with some clue as to why it is doing those things? That might give me the answer I seek.

Yeah, I know it doesn't matter and it won't change the way it acts, but except for the growing belief that computers are living beings with wicked senses of humor I have no clue as to why what should be a very fast, very complex abacus turns out to be more of a dice roller with infinite sides to the dice.

Offline recidivist

• Show only replies by recidivist
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2006, 02:15:12 AM »
 Using ME here on a thrift store P3 and grabbed all available upgrades just before MS dropped support.It  works well.

It is possible that some one played solitaire or something on your computer

Do you have automatic updates  enabled?

MS still has their ME help and support page,you might want to try it.

Offline Hyperspeed

• Show only replies by Hyperspeed
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2006, 03:37:04 AM »
Maybe this is all part of foreplay...   your wife messes about with the machine when you're not looking - this in turn drives you crazy!

Woof!

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2006, 02:30:58 PM »
Well, perhaps some program has upgraded itself without me noticing. Personally I find that presumptuous but I did not set this machine up. As far as I know it was set up to ask me first, certainly the virus program asks first and many of the others as well. Since it's an ME POS there aren't any more upgrades available. Now it's starting up with the password requester but I suppose at some random time in the future it will start up without it. Maybe some incense and a prayer is in order.

Re the foreplay suggestion. More than unlikely. Not only is my wife an ultra-geek who does not sully her hands on this crappy machine, I have degenerative disc disease and foreplay is nothing but pain for me followed by days of pain and meds. So that's unlikely indeed. Besides, in my universe frustration and anger is not conducive to thoughts of happy bed time play. You must be younger than I am or maybe haven't been married as long as I have. 8-)

Offline Amiga1200PPC

• Show only replies by Amiga1200PPC
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2006, 04:49:20 PM »
Edited by Admin: Personal Attack

Offline Argo

• Show only replies by Argo
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2006, 11:42:36 PM »
Please don't respond to posts like Wishmasters. If you feel the need to, please report the post to a member of the AO staff rather than ruin someone's topic by dragging it off-topic due to one bad post.

I now return you back to the topic of this thread.

Offline Argo

• Show only replies by Argo
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2006, 11:55:40 PM »
I never really understoode ME. Win 98SE and XP, no problem. ME is like the red headed stepchild in the Windows family. Everything that I had working fine under 98SE seemed hit or miss on ME. I couldn't even get Internet Connection Sharing working on ME. Even when I got to the point of using the step by step idiot guides. This was no problem under 98SE. Oh, and then there were the driver issues. I eventually just rolled back to 98SE.
Like the other have mentioned, the password thing is just a nonissue. I wouldn't worry about it. I had the same thing happen when I breifly had ME installed some years ago. As long as the computer is acting weird after the inital startup; can get online and programs run normally, I wouldn't worry too much.

Offline Hyperspeed

• Show only replies by Hyperspeed
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2006, 12:06:10 AM »
Argo... you censored my Ren & Stimpy cartoon. I feel dirty and unloved...

:-(

Offline motrucker

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2006, 04:41:24 PM »
Windoze ME is the buggiest version ever. The only thing you trust about ME, is that you can't trust it!
My only suggestion is, that you make sure it has all of the major upgrades, and cross your fingers.
Is this machine powerful enough to run XP? I hate to admit it, but Windows XP, with SP2 seems to work quite well.
Good luck.
A2000 GVP 40MHz \'030, 21Mb RAM SD/FF, 2 floppies, internal CD-ROM drive, micromys v3 w/laser mouse
A1000 Microbotics Starboard II w/2Mb 1080, & external floppy (AIRdrive)
C-128 w/1571, 1750, & Final Cartridge III+

Offline irishmike

• Show only replies by irishmike
    • http://www.jmikeneedham.net
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2006, 06:38:19 PM »
How many MBs of files do you need to back up before a reinstall?  If you could burn some CDs that might be better or borrow an external hard drive from a friend... or absolutely worst case senario, you could purchase one of the USB cases for hard drive (normally in the neighborhood of $25 USD -- you have to shop around a little, but it is worth it) and find any hard drive you have lying around and use it to back up your data.  Then I would go ahead and reinstall Windoze... if it must be at the level of ME, I would opt for 98 SE, but otherwise I would find myself a copy of Windows 2000 or if you have XP, the more the better... and do a complete reinstall.

Hope this helps.
\\"When we ask for advice, we are usually looking for an accomplice.\\"
- Marquis de la Grange

Offline The_Editor

• Show only replies by The_Editor
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2006, 07:52:30 PM »
Win 98 series does that all the time..

Forget about it.

It also "Finds new hardware" at the weirdest of times too.   DON'T ever hit cancel when it reports finding new hardware either.  Your'll probably lose your soundcard.. or the drivers anyway.

Win 98 series drops drivers left, right and centre.

I once made the mistake of hitting cancel on the first pc I built for NLE.  Lost all the friggin drivers for the capture card. Still.. It's a good way to learn the system !!

hehe
The Reluctant Pom