Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Building Pegasos Superbundle!  (Read 5495 times)

Description:

Offline greenboyTopic starter

• Show only replies by greenboy
    • http://PhiNiXi.com
Building Pegasos Superbundle!
« on: April 22, 2003, 11:33:12 PM »

Spam and cross-posting, all in one neat bundle ;  } :  ANN: Genesi Sponsored Software Bundle

Essentially, Genesi and Phoenix are leveraging MAJOR FUNDING to procure rights to, and get further development for, an assemblage of a huge bundle of software to be offered to all Pegasos customers.

We welcome your input on what [types of] titles to include so that we can make this Superbundle a fantastic value that covers as many categories of use as possible! We are making new contacts daily to get rights, and continue to receive developer pledges that will fill many categories/niches.

Through other avenues such as  Phoenix mail lists and at MorphZone we have also gotten many suggestions, and been made aware of still more titles and Aminet treasures - people are even helping make the contacts and getting us in touch with the authors/owners of ones they would like to see included. The list is expanding - even beyond the ambitious scope we first envisioned!

We hope to make the most comprehensive commercialware and freeware FULL VERSION bundle ever seen in the community, and plan to offer it for a nominal fee to ALL Pegasos owners! We hope you find this information of some note, and we'll further plan and implement based on your feedback : }
<-- greenboy ---<<<<

Offline gary_c

• Show only replies by gary_c
    • http://www.cunningham-lee.com
Re: Building Pegasos Superbundle!
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2003, 02:41:40 AM »
Well, this does make it easier to convince spouses that Yet Another Computer in the house isn't a totally crazy idea. :-)

-- gary_c

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2003, 02:59:54 AM »
Sounds like an excellent idea.  I can't wait to see what's included.

Offline Paul_Gadd

• Show only replies by Paul_Gadd
    • http://elunatic.host.sk/start.html
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2003, 03:26:39 AM »
Good idea, nice to see that Buck and Co are moving along.

Offline bbrv

• Show only replies by bbrv
    • http://www.genesi-tech.com
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2003, 06:05:53 AM »
Hi Paul, yes we are moving along because we have the support of many other people.  Our move to associate with Phoenix has been a good stroke.  Greenboy, Clash and Gary have been very active and tireless in their effort.  We appreciate everything they do and are doing.  It is true the Phoenix mailing lists are very busy and we are getting plenty of people involved and lots innovative thinking (especially with guys like Ants around!!!).

From the broader community, we are also grateful to people like Wayne, Targhan and David Scheibler (JL too!).  The websites associated these good people along with ANN and amiga-news (thanks Christian and Petra) have greatly aided us in getting the word out and we are starting to see solid and broad development moving ahead.  It IS "exciting."   ;-)   We even posted here yesterday (see MorphOS Forum and then you will figure out where to go....;-)  )!

The disunity will pass soon enough.  The only competition we have now is ignorance.  When people understand what we are doing and begin to participate 99% of the time they begin to move ahead with the rest of us.  We are hearing so many of the past rumors now it is laughable.  If people still want a heaping helping of FUD about Genesi there is still plenty around, but we are finished with it.  Forget it!   :-)   It is not about MorphOS vs. AmigaOS anymore or even the Pegasos vs. the AmigaOne.  We do not have time for these silly arguments.  We are too BUSY!   :-D   We hope all Pegasos/MorphOS users will just avoid these discussions.  They are a waste of time.  If there was something true to all the aqusations something would have happened long ago or at least we would have seen some proof -- any proof!!!  

We would rather be focused on development, porting applications, making new deals and getting products into the marketplace.  We should just keep to our efforts and best of luck to them with theirs...

We have a core team now.  We have enlisted the support of many and for the first time in years developers in this community are getting paid.  The Pegasos I is about the future, not the past.  We wasted alot of time with bad components, but we have a solution now and it looks VERY good.  The April patch works flawlessly and the Marvell northbridge is a quantum leap farther ahead.  The Pegasos II will/is attracting plenty of interest and we need to make sure there is a full suite of things to do with it!!!  This software bundle is going to be an awesome collection of applications that will stake a mighty claim for the community in the broader IT market.  The Pegasos I owners will benefit from these preparations.  We are grateful to them for their support and involvement.  We know how to say "THANKS!" and we will.

OK, now that greenboy got us all fired up this morning we have to go get ready for a busy day....;-)

Pass the blue pills please!  YeeeHaw!

:-D

Raquel and Bill :-)

P.S.  We will have free MorphOS T-Shirts to give away again this coming weekend in Calella de la Costa (40 km from Barcelona) at CatCon2K3 and in the Czech Republic at the Amiga Show.  Contact Martin at kuchinka@volny.cz for details on the Czech Amiga Show and Carles at catconparty@yahoo.es for what's happening in Spain!  8-)

:-o The MorphOS T-Shirt Counter reads "2765" now...:-o  

Offline Damion

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2003, 08:34:31 AM »
Great news indeed.

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2003, 09:00:09 AM »
it makes me  happy to see something finally developing into a real system after so many years of nonsense.... I'm happy for ya Bill... deliver a solid product...and the users will follow... remember that... this is just the beginning ... Amiga.org and the Amiga community as a whole may soon  come alive with new users as time passes... I will be happy to see it happen..

Offline KennyR

• Show only replies by KennyR
    • http://wrongpla.net
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2003, 01:02:21 PM »
Not a flame or a troll, just a reminder: please think about concentrating on getting that elusive 3D support for the Radeon that 90% of Pegasos owners use, then you'll have a lot more freedom to pick and choose software bundles.

Offline Wilse

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2003, 01:26:39 PM »
Hi Bill:

We would rather be focused on development, porting applications, making new deals and getting products into the marketplace. We should just keep to our efforts and best of luck to them with theirs...

Well said! this is exactly how it should be.

Offline lempkee

• Show only replies by lempkee
    • http://www.amigaguru.com
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2003, 02:20:12 PM »
maybe i am missing out on something here, but how on earth will u make the developers interested if this is supposed to be a bundle ?

i dont know if this is all about making a totally new bundle or if its about using old software in a new package, but i as a developer know one thing, we wont work for free anymore and beyond that a mere 300 copies sold of the software wont even cover the costs of holding a team put together, most of em would move away from it in less than a week/month...

but if u can pull this off bill then i will be amazed but most of all i would like to see the same optimistic sense after the release of this and get out more right after it, as everyone can pull of 1 bundle...but when its 2...thats where the problem comes, as thats when all the devlopers notice that there basically was no money in it at all and just alot of waste of time.

but ofcourse any morphos user would love this , and hopefully all the developers also, and that they will follow it after the release even.

srry for not beeing optimistic about it in anyway since i know how much everything sells on amiga/pegasos and basically the numbers would scare anyone off the plattforms, atleast if u are a developer and most of all a poor developer.

the pegasos 2 sounds like a nice idea, hopefully it will be out in enough quantities and for a reasonable price (i have no doubts about that) but most of all i hope it would attract more people to buy it, and most of all i hope that everyone's reputation wont be killed or hurted if it ever comes and same goes to the os4 team etc.

no more wars, no more fights ... keep us together and there might be a market within the end of 2004, until then we will have to live with ports from pc/mac/linux and lots and lots of pd/shareware tools, i dont see how anyone would join in from the industry to make a mos nor os4 development unless there is more than 10.000 owners of the actual hw's and 99% of em beeing legal in all of it..

signed ..a developer that has met the wall in the amiga community ...1 too many times.

Whats up with all the hate!

Offline bbrv

• Show only replies by bbrv
    • http://www.genesi-tech.com
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2003, 05:57:53 AM »
Hi lempkee, Wilse, and others,

Just a few comments in respose...

1. We have seen the Voodoo3 running 3D on the Pegasos already.  Mark Olsen is doing that work and he is close to a release.  It is coming.

2. We know that getting anywhere in the future means getting to tomorrow.  In other words, 300 is a number on the way to 1000.  We know we can go no further on the hardware side for the moment so we are focused on trying to pull together applications in the meanwhile.  This is really just a indication of more subtle organizational changes.

3.  What are those changes?  Here are a couple of examples: a) a new office for bplan in Frankfurt, b) a new QA team based in Paris with specific objectives and direction, c) a detailed CVS/source management program not only for MorphOS, but for all the other OS distros we seek to support on the platform, and d) a completely reorganized web presence with an order management center based in Luxembourg.  PriceWaterhouseCoopers set up our corporate structure -- now we have to implement the plan.  ;-)

4.  Getting Phoenix integrated into the process while respecting its independence and creativity.

We could go on, but you get the idea.  These plans and MUCH more are underway.

We had 162 emails when we came home last night after a LONG day.  Granted some of those were junk, but many of those emails were writen by new Pegasos users seeking solutions for one challenge or another.  As the daily scoll forward continues we see one answer and then another in response.  Ultimately, we see a continuous dialogue that moves to a solution.  People in Australia, Canada, or Italy getting answers from Pegasos owners in Norway, Germany or Spain ...  That is the whole idea of a Community and it is taking shape -- step by step.  This spirit and interaction needs to be in place and we need to have a corporate organization structure working too if we want to start adding digits successfully to our installed base.  The process is in play and it is starting to produce very encouraging results.  

As Daniel Miller has often suggested in his encouragement of our efforts to get hardware and software out EVEN if it is not perfect and into the hands of users: innovation and creativity factor will spark NEW developments.  We see it.  It is working  --  again day by day, one user at a time. :-)

Anyway, thanks for the encouragement mips, gary_c, Wayne, Paul, -D-, Wilse, KennyR, and lempkee.  We are off for another busy day...;-)

...and a BIG thanks to greenboy and Phoenix!

Raquel and Bill   :-)

Offline Quixote

• Show only replies by Quixote
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2003, 06:40:55 AM »
bbrv bellowed:
Pass the blue pills please!  YeeeHaw!
;-) "You take the blue pill, the story ends.  You wake up in your bed and you believe whatever you want to believe.  You take the red pill and you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit-hole goes."

--Morpheus,  "The Matrix"

8-) Sorry, couldn’t resist.

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2003, 06:57:53 AM »
I think a few apps (my two cents) that the Pegasos could use would be

Miami integrated

AWeb

writer/text editor (any)

Pagestream

3D App (not one of the ancient ones for classic amiga preferrably just a port of blender or something at least semi-modern)

a planner app like PDA"s have except for desktop

a music/media management app

the general direction computers in the 'alternative' or 'custom' niche are taking is that well polished look/feel and an easy to use and very manageable expierence.

I think OSX has done it nicely and I realise MOS has a long way to go to be like OSX but it could be better at certin things and with an integrated pack of games/etc it might be pretty cool.

I think BBRV will be TV Stars soon to :P TechTV will love the Pegasos/MOS when it comes out... announce ahead of time when you're going on there Bill.

Offline Targhan

• Show only replies by Targhan
    • http://www.geocities.com/targhan_aga
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2003, 08:13:33 AM »
@lempkee

I can definately sympothise with your sentiment.  Failure, after mishandling, after mishap, after failure, time and time again, has really worn the hope away from so many people within this community.  How many people in the Amiga community are here now only for the community, not having touched the AmigaOS in years?  Indeed, it is very difficult to be optimistic after so many let-downs.

I can be as big of a nay-sayer as the next guy, but I think this platform is moving.  According to a previous posts by greenboy, they (Genesi) have strong financial backing.  According to the increasing usability of the MorphOS/Pegasos platform, they've been applying that backing directly to a platform for our community--not to some hair-brained scheme for a better cell-phone.

@Raquel and Bill:  Thank you for your kind words.  I'm sure that the guys from all the sites you frequent will feel the same way.  

@the topic:  Printed Manuals.  Yes, I realize this sounds silly.  I agree that each and every application counts for our starving community; however, each new person coming into the community will discover a greater and greater lack of printed support material than the person before him or her.  It's just needed for a growing platform.

I hope to see all three kinds of applications.  The golden trio: ported software, new software, and updated "classic" software.
Regards,
Targhan

Offline Targhan

• Show only replies by Targhan
    • http://www.geocities.com/targhan_aga
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2003, 08:26:27 AM »
Ack! I forgot to add the most important bit..

Recovery software

BackUp Software (Maybe a custom DMS + BurnIt)

Networking software

Regards,
Targhan