Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: AK-Datatypes In Development  (Read 13474 times)

Description:

Offline Pgovotsos

Re: AK-Datatypes In Development
« Reply #44 from previous page: June 16, 2020, 03:49:41 AM »
I asked before, but it must have gotten lost in the clutter.

Is it expected that this new system will be compatible with all classic datatypes, like the 3rd party warp datatypes, or will it require previous datatypes be updated to conform with it? I would assume so, and hope so, but it is never safe to assume.

Offline chris

« Reply #45 on: June 18, 2020, 11:51:46 PM »
I asked before, but it must have gotten lost in the clutter.

Is it expected that this new system will be compatible with all classic datatypes, like the 3rd party warp datatypes, or will it require previous datatypes be updated to conform with it? I would assume so, and hope so, but it is never safe to assume.

I think that's already been answered as "yes".

I don't really see the point in rewriting datatypes.library.  It doesn't really do very much - all the power is in the superclasses, and you can extend and write new ones of those as much as you like without touching datatypes.library.  If you want to write a video.datatype you can, without datatypes.library knowing or caring what such a thing is.  I wrote a structured art superclass for OS4 so IFF DR2D and SVG (and.. I think that's as far as I got) can be viewed by Multiview.  It works, and programs can (in theory) load such objects retaining the original structure and write them as well (can't remember whether I ever implemented this stuff).  datatypes.library doesn't care, it just looks at the IDs and passes everything down to the subclass, which it also doesn't know about as it was written years before it existed.

datatypes.library does have shortcomings, but none that actually prevent new formats from being supported, so I don't really see what this gains apart from potentially some slightly better APIs (which nobody will use because they won't work on the version everybody has).

(btw, the animation.datatype is horredous, if anything needs rewriting it's that thing)
"Miracles we do at once, the impossible takes a little longer" - AJS on Hyperion
Avatar picture is Tabitha by Eric W Schwartz

Offline kolla

« Reply #46 on: June 19, 2020, 05:26:19 AM »
@chris
I believe animation.datatype has been rewritten for OS 3.1.4.

Anyways, the new feature in *this* datatypes.library and sound.datatype, from what I understand, is ability to present/play a datastream, opposed to current dataype system that won’t process anything until it sees EOF. This was a shortcoming that became very obvious as streaming of mp3s became popular back in the 90ies.
B5D6A1D019D5D45BCC56F4782AC220D8B3E2A6CC
---
A3000/060CSPPC+CVPPC/128MB + 256MB BigRAM/Deneb USB
A4000/CS060/Mediator4000Di/Voodoo5/128MB
A1200/Blz1260/IndyAGA/192MB
A1200/Blz1260/64MB
A1200/Blz1230III/32MB
A1200/ACA1221
A600/V600v2/Subway USB
A600/Apollo630/32MB
A600/A6095
CD32/SX32/32MB/Plipbox
CD32/TF328
A500/V500v2
A500/MTec520
CDTV
MiSTer, MiST, FleaFPGAs and original Minimig
Peg1, SAM440 and Mac minis with MorphOS

Offline chris

« Reply #47 on: June 23, 2020, 09:00:20 PM »
@chris
I believe animation.datatype has been rewritten for OS 3.1.4.

That's good to know.  Does it fix all the shortcomings though?  (the main one being only supporting palette-mapped images)

Anyways, the new feature in *this* datatypes.library and sound.datatype, from what I understand, is ability to present/play a datastream, opposed to current dataype system that won’t process anything until it sees EOF. This was a shortcoming that became very obvious as streaming of mp3s became popular back in the 90ies.

I believe that's present in the updated sound.datatype, and didn't require a new datatypes.library.

It was also possible to stream with the old datatypes.library/sound.datatype, although you could only "play" not capture the data.  I thought this worked without it seeing EOF but maybe not.
"Miracles we do at once, the impossible takes a little longer" - AJS on Hyperion
Avatar picture is Tabitha by Eric W Schwartz

Offline amigakitTopic starter

« Reply #48 on: October 08, 2020, 09:27:34 PM »
After feedback from beta testers work has continued and our developer has just completed a new version:

Fixes:
- a fix for allowing the ascii escape code to be allowed when detecting ascii text
- a fix for creating an object directly using the class and not the usual detection route
« Last Edit: October 08, 2020, 09:31:54 PM by amigakit »
www.AmigaKit.com - Amiga Reseller | Manufacturer | Developer

New Products  --   Customer Help & Support -- @amigakit

« Reply #49 on: October 31, 2020, 11:34:35 PM »
The new AK-Datatypes Prefs have been completed:

Offline NinjaCyborg

« Reply #50 on: January 08, 2021, 01:49:45 PM »
What datatypes needs is support for stream based i/o, progressive loading/rendering, especially on audio and video/animation formats. It would be great also if every datatype had 'save as native' built in, and MultiView could act as a simple file format converter, like Preview on the mac.

« Reply #51 on: February 23, 2024, 04:57:35 PM »
Some good development work in the last few weeks on AK-Datatypes:  AK-ILBM updated, Picture Datatype updated and Datatypes Library updated in their PPC (V54) and 68K (V46) versions.  We are upgrading these ready for the A600GS and also the forthcoming Enhancer Software V2.3

AK-ILBM Datatype V54.19 / V46.19
AK-DEEP Datatype V54.1 / V46.1
Datatypes Library V54.24 / V46.24
Picture Datatype V54.9 / V46.9

« Last Edit: February 24, 2024, 06:24:31 PM by amigakit »