Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: After hearing a bit about the upcoming Windows 8...  (Read 4187 times)

Description:

Offline Kesa

• Ninja Fruit Slasher
    • Show all replies
Re: After hearing a bit about the upcoming Windows 8...
« on: September 29, 2011, 04:26:53 AM »
Quote from: fishy_fiz;661778
Being tht W8 can be controlled by Kinect Im not sure how much effort would have been put in touch screen control (or perhaps the 2 share enough that developing support for one bleeds into how the other would be interfaced with).

Either way Apple has done a good job of destroying the fun for computer enthusiasts. All the gimmicky crap with a shiny interface, etc. intended for computer illiterate bozos. Unfortunately other OS developers have decided that this is a good thing, all the while destroying computer fun for those of us who arent illiterate bozo's. Thank God for AROS and Amiga OS, etc. as while theyre lacking in some ways compared to other options it's not assumed I'll succumb to whatever shiny interfaces dictate to me, nor that have the intellect of a Walrus.

Now, back to the original post..... if youre such a dopus fan, why not just use dopus on Windows?

Speak for yourself. I like shiny things...  ;)
Even my cat doesn\'t like me.

Offline Kesa

• Ninja Fruit Slasher
    • Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2011, 06:05:45 AM »
Quote from: runequester;661704
Why not have computers navigated by wiimotes?
Gimmicky AND unusable at the same time.

What, so talking to yourself (BT and phone) isn't weird enough? Now we have to sit in front of our computers waving our arms around like an air traffic controller?

Offline Kesa

• Ninja Fruit Slasher
    • Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2011, 01:17:11 PM »
OMG! I love Windows 7! For the first time in 6 months i used it today and OMG everything just glows! :rolleyes: Why can't i get my Ubuntu to look this pretty? :confused: It's so unfair :(

OK, i'm switching off now... BEEP! BEEP!

Offline Kesa

• Ninja Fruit Slasher
    • Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2011, 02:15:12 PM »
Quote from: danwood;661967
Totally disagree, as Steve Jobs said last year when he showed the new Macbook Airs, Apple won't do a touchscreen laptop/desktop because your arms ache after a few minutes.

Having used an HP touchscreen machine for a few hours, I can agree, who wants to sit there with your arms stretched out like a zombie all day, especially at work.

Touch is great on tablets/mobiles, it won't reach the desktop though.

I think touchscreens have a place hanging on a wall. I'm starting to see more and more large tvs hanging on walls wherever i go such as my uni, shopping centres and office buildings in general and i think being able to interact with these whilst standing up and not sitting would be very useful.

Offline Kesa

• Ninja Fruit Slasher
    • Show all replies
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2011, 02:55:49 PM »
Quote from: persia;661980
Did I say "or" anywhere in my message.  It's strictly an "and."  90% or more of the time you'll want to use a magic pad or an old fashion mouse, but there are just times when it would be so much easier to just touch the screen to do something, especially in photoshop.  If iOS and OS X really are converging then a touch interface for the iOS programs is really necessary...

I think Apple might not like the idea of using a touchscreen with all that glass they use on the imacs. Imacs are too flashy and expensive to wreck by using your hands. Can you imagine the finger marks and scratches they would accumulate?

Offline Kesa

• Ninja Fruit Slasher
    • Show all replies
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2011, 03:08:50 PM »
Quote from: commodorejohn;661984
Touchscreen Photoshop would be a giant pain in the ass. A mouse and even a good tablet can give me pixel-level precision at 1x zoom, trying to do that with a touchscreen when my fingertip covers half a hundred pixels even on a large monitor? No thanks.

I've seen some interesting things done with multi-touch screens, but I still don't buy the propaganda that they're a million times more convenient than a mouse for general tasks.

Lightpen?