Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: A-EON Technology & Ultra Varisys sign $1.2M agreement for new PowerPC hardware  (Read 6481 times)

Description:

Offline wawrzon

Quote from: SamuraiCrow;750632
@haywirepc

The boards still run Linux and have industrial use as such.

yes, i think this is the deal. Linux can well take advantage of multiple cores and these systems if they actually give at least some performance boost (except for vector maths) in comparison to x1k they may actually find some interst in the linux world. what puzzles me is why they still attempt to dazzle it as "amiga" related. i think aeon (varisys) with their hardware would do much better without os4 balast. i wonder if there will ever be any public confirmation from varisys on These affairs.

Offline wawrzon

Quote from: haywirepc;750635
I can get a 2ghz x86 board for 20$ that can run linux.

freescale, varisys or even some other players may see some advantage in a long therm attempt to reestablish ppc platform as desktop or embedded (linux) platform. trevor seems for whatever reason genuinely motivated to drag os4 along, probably he just does not give up so easily.

Offline wawrzon

Quote from: nicholas;750708
Why would an x86 board have to be custom?

because it is the standard answer when mentioning x86 port os4 fans mindlessly repeat. someone must have told them that. wonder who.

Offline wawrzon

Quote from: yssing;750718
Going x86, wont magically give us a wide range of hardware to run on, it won't port new software, it won't expand the userbase..

nothing more wrong than what you tell.. as usuall..

Need proof? Look at Aros, look at any kind of obscure OS for the x86. Those OS's still needs drivers and devoted development.

aros doesnt even sports the "name", you all os4 fans are so crazy after. if it was "officially" called "amiga os" you likely would hapilly run after it, as for instance hondo admits. and then i bet all these "obscure oses" on x86 are a magnitude bigger in therms of involved users than any amiga ng alternative. see the point? not that you ve not been told it before..

Switching to x86 will not give us one more bit of software, unless some one ports it.

Need proof that cheap hardware won't expand the userbase, look at morphos.

see above..

If you do want free OS and free software, go for linux, I am not holding you back.

you dont need to hold me. linux and aros are at my disposal if i need them.

I on the other hand, do not mind paying for hardware and software.

neither me if it had any value...

lets say id genuinely like to see custom amiga hardware like in the 80/90 enabling one to do the things others couldnt, even if it would cost a little more. ive made this calculation at the time. but id dont buy in custom hareware for the sake of it to be custom. simple, right?

Offline wawrzon

Quote from: yssing;750762
My point is still valid, but when aros dominates the scene, then I would have to reconsider.

does it really matter so much, who wins? and do you really think os4 really rules for now?

But as you say aros is not the official amiga OS.

so what? are you a label victim? and if it really matters to you, how official is os4 in fact? what do you base your criteria "officiality" on, and, frankly, isnt it a little philistine and servilistic to think in those cathegories instead to make choices based on own Imagination and free will?

Offline wawrzon

Quote from: bloodline;750798
And with AROS68k coming as the default OS for WinUAE, my guess is that AROS will eventually (once compatibility has improved) dominate the 68k scene too!

id hope so, but still there is not enough attention about how to actually attract the genuine amiga users and fix the bugs. if aros was actually usable on (higher end) amiga hardware as substitute for the original system without all these caveats i must spell when introducing it, it would definitely be quite popular by now. alas..