Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: A-EON Technology & Ultra Varisys sign $1.2M agreement for new PowerPC hardware  (Read 6477 times)

Description:

Offline LoadWB

• Show all replies
Quote from: haywirepc;750635
I've said it before, I'll say it again, no one is spending such money for power pc boards for "embedded applications" They won't release sales figures, they won't even mention a customer who has used their boards for that purpose.

These boards are for amiga os4, and thats all. Great they run linux too. I can get a 2ghz x86 board for 20$ that can run linux.

Smoke and mirrors...

I have actually seen a few medical devices which are PowerPC based as the embedded supplier has not made the switch to ARM.  I'm guessing there are some industrial applications as well.  (A new x-ray machine I installed not long ago is PPC for the controller.)  They easily make up for it after the cost of the machine, installation, and support contracts.

It's more expensive to build new kit, program new software, then get it certified to regulatory requirements than to stay with the same processes and just file amendments so long as the architecture remains the same.