Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Amiga 2000 with Trumpcard 2000. SCSI CDROM not working  (Read 1543 times)

Description:

Offline theghoulTopic starter

• Show only replies by theghoul
Amiga 2000 with Trumpcard 2000. SCSI CDROM not working
« on: August 27, 2021, 04:15:40 PM »
Hello all.
Long time member and lurker. Thanks for all the helpful content over the years.

I'm having a problem trying to get my TrumpCard with SCSI2SD to recognize a SCSI Toshiba CDROM.

The SCSI2SD works fine, but the CDROM is showing up: "CD0: ????"

I swapped in a GVP SCSI and the verified that the CD drive and cable are fine. They show up and work as expected.

I have the controller terminated and the CDROM terminated with the SCSI2SD stuck in the middle unterminated.

I'm also using AmiCDFS and the correct device (I think)   "IVS_SCSI.device"

Lastly I tried copying the device "IVS_SCSI.device" to DEVS and referenced it with "DEVS:IVS_SCSI.device" and it just doesn't show.

I'm not sure what to try next. Do CDROMS work with this old card? The Rom version 4.9.

Images attached. Thx.

Offline Ral-Clan

• Show only replies by Ral-Clan
    • http://www3.sympatico.ca/clarke-santin/
Re: Amiga 2000 with Trumpcard 2000. SCSI CDROM not working
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2021, 02:30:37 AM »
Have you upgraded the ROM to the latest version?'

I own the external sidecar version of this device for the A500 and unless you have the latest ROM you can run into problems. Some on ebay was selling burned ROMs a few years back. Might want to check there.

One old thread I found:
http://forum.amiga.org/index.php?topic=52003.0

Googling IVS Trumpcard Amiga ROM turns up many more discussions about this. The binary is floating around on the internet.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2021, 02:36:14 AM by Ral-Clan »
Music I've made using Amigas and other retro-instruments: http://theovoids.bandcamp.com

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2021, 02:42:44 AM »
Looks like I may already have the latest.  V4.9

:-\

Offline Ral-Clan

• Show only replies by Ral-Clan
    • http://www3.sympatico.ca/clarke-santin/
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2021, 01:40:22 PM »
Hmmm...I know I have an external SCSI CD-ROM drive working on my Amiga with Trumpcard 500. There is a 105MB hard drive inside the chassis.

Things to suggest (worth a try):

- turn on the Amiga with a CD-R in the tray instead of empty.
- change the order of the SCSI devices
- Have you checked that the LUNs (Logical Unit Numbers) don't conflict? This actually shouldn't be a problem if the devices are set to different SCSI device numbers. I'm not even sure you CAN change the LUN on a CD-ROM drive.
- try a different CD drive if you have one

I vaguely recall that this card was reported to be problematic with some removable media drives (that were made after the invention of the card).
« Last Edit: August 28, 2021, 01:50:27 PM by Ral-Clan »
Music I've made using Amigas and other retro-instruments: http://theovoids.bandcamp.com

Offline Motormouth

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2021, 04:17:48 PM »
Are all the devices you are using "internal"?  If not sometimes there can be issues using internal and external devices at the same time.

Is the scsi board  terminated (ie with resistor packs) itself?  If it is it may only "like" either all internal drives or all external drives.  If the resistor packs are socketed, I suggest trying to removing them to unterminate the board itself, (ie let the SCSI signal propagate from internal to external cable).  Make sure that the last devices or the end of other internal and external cables are terminated.  Make sure the scsi board itself is terminated if you are using only internal or only external drives.

If the SCSI card itself has soldered on resistor packs (which I think my trumpcard pro's are),   I would try all external devices, or internal devices. 

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2021, 08:13:22 PM »
Hmmm...I know I have an external SCSI CD-ROM drive working on my Amiga with Trumpcard 500. There is a 105MB hard drive inside the chassis.

Things to suggest (worth a try):

- turn on the Amiga with a CD-R in the tray instead of empty.
- change the order of the SCSI devices
- Have you checked that the LUNs (Logical Unit Numbers) don't conflict? This actually shouldn't be a problem if the devices are set to different SCSI device numbers. I'm not even sure you CAN change the LUN on a CD-ROM drive.
- try a different CD drive if you have one

I vaguely recall that this card was reported to be problematic with some removable media drives (that were made after the invention of the card).

Yeah, I tried that just now.
* Turned it on with a CD-R and Pressed CD. No dice. (see image)
* Changed the order of the scsi drives. Made the CDROM first  (see image)
* It wont let me modify the LUNS
* Tried another working SCSI CDROM from my other 2000. Still nothing. Even with a pressed cd and a CDROM

This is a head scratcher. MY GVP SCSI and 2091 recognizes the drive just fine. Its just this Trump card

You mentioned that you have an external drive on your Trumpcard 500. That's good to know. I thought maybe this thing was too old recognize CDROMS. lol
« Last Edit: August 28, 2021, 08:20:54 PM by theghoul »

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2021, 08:16:49 PM »
Are all the devices you are using "internal"?  If not sometimes there can be issues using internal and external devices at the same time.

Is the scsi board  terminated (ie with resistor packs) itself?  If it is it may only "like" either all internal drives or all external drives.  If the resistor packs are socketed, I suggest trying to removing them to unterminate the board itself, (ie let the SCSI signal propagate from internal to external cable).  Make sure that the last devices or the end of other internal and external cables are terminated.  Make sure the scsi board itself is terminated if you are using only internal or only external drives.

If the SCSI card itself has soldered on resistor packs (which I think my trumpcard pro's are),   I would try all external devices, or internal devices.

Everything is internal. The trumpcard termination resistors looked soldered in. I tried turning on the termination for the SCSI2SD card and rebooting. Still no dice.

I enclosed the image from the SCSI2SD setup util. Do I need to setup the "Device 2" as the CDROM? I do not recall doing that on my other SCSI cards.

« Last Edit: August 28, 2021, 08:18:02 PM by theghoul »

Re: Amiga 2000 with Trumpcard 2000. SCSI CDROM not working - FIXED!
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2021, 05:54:03 AM »
Fixed it.

Just in case anyone is still struggling with adding a CDrom, I ended up removing AmiCDFS and went with AsimCDFS. Asim has a better install procedure and it mounted the CD right away. Picture below.

So, Amiga 2000 + Trumpcard 2000 + AsimCD 3.7 + Panasonic SCSI CDRom = Good to go!

Thanks for the tips guys!  :)

Offline mechy

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2021, 04:16:23 AM »
Glad you got it working. Just FYI the Trumpcards are very slow,the A2091 and GVP beats them out for speed in every case i have ever seen. I have the IVS vector accelerator,a great card but its integrated trumpcard scsi is terrible slow..