Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Raspberry PI  (Read 25009 times)

Description:

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
Re: Raspberry PI
« Reply #29 on: February 29, 2012, 11:14:46 PM »
Quote from: TheDaddy;681901
Some people have even said that children aren't that interested in programming and for a reason, they aren't bothered with what's underneath or inside a machine they just want to use it and play. Time will tell...
That's a bit of a sweeping assumption - programming is taught so little and so poorly below BA-level college classes that it's difficult to say whether kids actually aren't interested or simply have never had a latent interest properly fed. It's like saying kids aren't interested in reading when all you've got is a shelf full of accounting manuals.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline gunni

• Show only replies by gunni
« Reply #30 on: February 29, 2012, 11:28:27 PM »
Quote from: hooligan;681870
BTW can you buy a case for it.. I understand its just the mobo.

Cases are coming with later batches they say. I couldn't get one ordered at 6am this morning, couldn't even get the farnell page 2 hours later. Registered interest on RS eventually, got a dead C64 with keyra that will get a new lease of life as an oversized pi case! :lol:

Offline Gazbonk

• VIP / Donor - Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by Gazbonk
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/cme4dosh/videos?view=0
« Reply #31 on: March 01, 2012, 12:00:03 AM »
Looks very nice & cheap runs debian 6, file can be downloaded from site 797MB.

This could be a cheap option for a small web server on a bookshelf.

May be a few other options for its use as well as the programming side.

Offline kedawa

• Show only replies by kedawa
« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2012, 01:10:50 AM »
It would be a decent enough platform for plug and play game systems.

Offline jjTopic starter

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by jj
« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2012, 08:05:21 AM »
I got one to play aorund with.

it was £30 by then time you added VAT but still.  £30 for what as I see as a piece of history and a very interesting platform to mess around with.

It is powered from a mini usb port.  Everyone has these leads for their phones these days.  You  cna basically carry this thing around anywhere with you
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” - George Bernard Shaw

Xbox Live: S0ulA55a551n2

Registered MorphsOS 3.13 user on Powerbook G4 15"

Offline TheDaddy

• Show only replies by TheDaddy
    • http://www.loriano.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk
« Reply #34 on: March 01, 2012, 10:43:13 AM »
Quote from: commodorejohn;681920
That's a bit of a sweeping assumption - programming is taught so little and so poorly below BA-level college classes that it's difficult to say whether kids actually aren't interested or simply have never had a latent interest properly fed. It's like saying kids aren't interested in reading when all you've got is a shelf full of accounting manuals.

That is what an adviser to the government said, he might be right, let's hope he is not.

Offline tone007

« Reply #35 on: March 01, 2012, 04:22:06 PM »
Quote from: TheBilgeRat;681917
25-35 dollar 700Mhz 256Mb ARM computer the size of a credit card able to be run off 4AA batteries and able to play back 1080P?

I see nothing BUT potential.

Ho hum. http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone-service/cell-phone-details/?device=Motorola+Atrix+(TM)+2+(Refurbished)&q_sku=sku5580225#fbid=bvU-6q8AWxi
3 Commodore file cabinets, 2 Commodore USB turntables, 1 AmigaWorld beer mug
Alienware M14x i7 laptop running AmigaForever

Offline desiv

• Show only replies by desiv
« Reply #36 on: March 01, 2012, 04:26:57 PM »
Quote from: tone007;681968
Ho hum. http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone-service/cell-phone-details/?device=Motorola+Atrix+(TM)+2+(Refurbished)&q_sku=sku5580225#fbid=bvU-6q8AWxi

From that link:
No Commitment Pricing(New)                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 $449.99                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          
2-yr Contract Price                                             $99.99                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            
Refurb Discount                                                                                                                                                                                - $99.98

So, a $35 device is "Ho hum" compared to a $450 device (that can be had for only $100 with a 2 year contract or free for a refurb with a 2 year contract...

er..  You're trying to prove the point that it's a great device/deal then???  ;-)

desiv
Amiga 1200 w/ ACA1230/28 - 4G CF, MAS Player, ext floppy, and 1084S.
Amiga 500 w/ 2M CHIP and 8M FAST RAM, DCTV, AEHD floppy, and 1084S.
Amiga 1000 w/ 4M FAST RAM, DUAL CF hard drives, external floppy.

Offline tone007

« Reply #37 on: March 01, 2012, 04:29:11 PM »
You left off the .01 final cost of the phone but regardless, "Ho hum," because there are plenty of people walking around with devices more powerful than this in their pockets.

Cheap doesn't make it awesome.

edit: the more I think about it, the more it reminds me of a $99 Android tablet I had, minus the screen, exact specs.  What's a touchscreen go for, about $60-$70?

Sounds like that tablet wasn't a bad deal either.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 04:40:02 PM by tone007 »
3 Commodore file cabinets, 2 Commodore USB turntables, 1 AmigaWorld beer mug
Alienware M14x i7 laptop running AmigaForever

Offline persia

• Show only replies by persia
« Reply #38 on: March 01, 2012, 04:51:42 PM »
Yes, it's an Android tablet without the touchscreen and wifi.  But Android doesn't encourage programming, it encourages surfing.  Yes, you can put a keyboard on it but people psychologically see it as a tablet.  They aren't going to think about programming.  Android isn't designed to be developed on, it's designed to be developed for.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

Offline desiv

• Show only replies by desiv
« Reply #39 on: March 01, 2012, 05:26:31 PM »
Quote from: tone007;681970
You left off the .01 final cost of the phone but regardless,

No I didn't, I just rounded down.

Quote from: desiv
or free for a refurb with a 2 year contract...

And free (or $0.01) "WITH A CONTRACT" is not even close to free...

Yes, it is closer to a cheap tablet.
But my cheap tablet (which I love) doesn't connect to my TV.

It's a different target device....

desiv
Amiga 1200 w/ ACA1230/28 - 4G CF, MAS Player, ext floppy, and 1084S.
Amiga 500 w/ 2M CHIP and 8M FAST RAM, DCTV, AEHD floppy, and 1084S.
Amiga 1000 w/ 4M FAST RAM, DUAL CF hard drives, external floppy.

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
« Reply #40 on: March 01, 2012, 06:04:49 PM »
Quote from: tone007;681970
You left off the .01 final cost of the phone but regardless, "Ho hum," because there are plenty of people walking around with devices more powerful than this in their pockets.

Cheap doesn't make it awesome.
No, but cheap makes it accessible, and that's entirely the stated point of the project. Tablets and smartphones are designed for media cattle to click through movies and Facebook, not to allow kids to learn programming. For that purpose your average tablet is about as useful as an Etch-A-Sketch, and quite a bit pricier.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline koaftder

• Show only replies by koaftder
    • http://koft.net
« Reply #41 on: March 01, 2012, 06:41:11 PM »
I don't see the point of this thing. I'd bet money most of these will just wind up collecting dust after getting a weeks worth of being messed around with. Kids are not hurting for computers (in developed countries anyway). To the average kid, this thing will be about as interesting as a Chia Pet once the novelty wears off.

Offline HenryCase

• Show only replies by HenryCase
« Reply #42 on: March 01, 2012, 06:54:47 PM »
Quote from: koaftder;681998
I don't see the point of this thing. I'd bet money most of these will just wind up collecting dust after getting a weeks worth of being messed around with. Kids are not hurting for computers (in developed countries anyway). To the average kid, this thing will be about as interesting as a Chia Pet once the novelty wears off.

Depends on your market. In terms of a cheap PC for education, this gives kids something they can experiment with programming on, and that can become part of the school curriculum (therefore it won't get dusty as they'll be doing homework with it).

As for the general population, if you're not interesting in building something with it, then the most obvious use is as a cheap HTPC. If you've not played with one before, then perhaps you'll change your mind when you do. Recommend checking out XBMC. XBMC can do more than I could reasonably hope to succintly summarise, but to get a feel for what it feels like to use a highly polished media centre, try watching this (this is just one skin for XBMC, there are others):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLzdLOO3sYI
"OS5 is so fast that only Chuck Norris can use it." AeroMan

Offline maffoo

• Show only replies by maffoo
« Reply #43 on: March 01, 2012, 07:03:21 PM »
I managed to order one of these from Farnell last night by using searching by the product code (2081185.) I thought it would come up with an error at some point, but it let me place the order :) The projected delivery date is the end of April.

I have no idea if they will be able to get it to me by then, but it's worth a try :)

What's annoying me about the whole thing at the moment is the fact that people are already putting their preordered Raspberry Pi on Ebay at massive markups (there's one on there for £99 at the moment :pissed: )

Offline dammy

• Show only replies by dammy
« Reply #44 from previous page: March 01, 2012, 10:02:25 PM »
Quote from: TheBilgeRat;681917
25-35 dollar 700Mhz 256Mb ARM computer the size of a credit card able to be run off 4AA batteries and able to play back 1080P?

I see nothing BUT potential.

Although this is more expensive by $100 or so, I don't see why it didn't sell that well to the Geeks: https://www.genesi-usa.com/store/details/11
Dammy

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Arix-OS/414578091930728
Unless otherwise noted, I speak only for myself.