Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Amiga Inc answers your questions (updated)  (Read 39524 times)

Description:

Offline SystemTopic starter

• Show only replies by System
    • http://amiga.org
Amiga Inc answers your questions (updated)
« on: September 14, 2006, 12:18:45 AM »

Offline Tomas

• Show only replies by Tomas
Re: Amiga Inc answers your questions
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2006, 12:57:52 AM »
Thank you for taking the time to answer these questions.

This was definitely a interesting read and i hope we have more communication in the future as well.
I in no way saw what was coming, nor did we foresee how many would react when things got really tough on both the personal and business levels, and I wanted to say thank you directly to those of you who reacted in kind over the death of my daughter and over the personal financial trials and tribulations that followed her death and difficulties that the Amiga situation created.

:cry: I must say i am very sorry for your loss and will offer my greatest condolences.

Offline tomazkid

• Show only replies by tomazkid
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2006, 01:12:41 AM »
Thanks Wayne & Co. for the questions and Bill for answearing them  :-)

Offline weirdami

• Show only replies by weirdami
    • Http://Bindingpolymer.com
I like Bill.
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2006, 01:24:32 AM »
:banana:
----
Binding Polymer: Keeping you together since 1892.

Offline recidivist

• Show only replies by recidivist
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2006, 01:43:21 AM »
First of all my condolences ,albeit  late. Mr McEwen. Such a loss would cause many to seek new directions to keep busy.Yet Bill has stayed with the Amiga.

A couple of other points; Is anyone selling a half-million a year of strictly Amiga product? And what?

After reading the answers I know very little more than before;we are told it is all tied up in legal wrangling,that plans have been made, and something should be appearing on retail sale soon.

I confess to being utterly confused by discussions of value-added,content provider, and most of the answers. I don't even understand what Amiga has to do with making a phone call.In the business where I work dozens of engineers,suppliers,contractors, and delivery people use their phones seemingly only to communicate the spoken word and then put them away until it rings. The fact that many industrial and other sites ban camera equiped phones may have some bearing on this.

I guess  what some? many? of us wanted to hear was "the new Amiga will be introduced in time for Christmas buying or the new  Whizbang game console will feature the Amiga OS in partnership with Whizbang LLC ..."

I thank Wayne for his effort and Bill for answers constained by lawyers; just still waiting for the real dawn of a new day.

Offline AmigaHeretic

• Show only replies by AmigaHeretic
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2006, 01:58:55 AM »
Ok, A couple of things that concern me...

We have been working since last November on locating a hardware partner for new PowerPC based hardware and we have made some slow but successful progress. I hope that this Hyperion issue can be rectified so that we can get it completed, and then we can get the hardware ready to ship.

I have had conversations with the Freidens about this, and once we have the legal situation resolved then we can put that horse before the cart. If we can not do it with OS 4, then I am sure the FIVE can take care of that issue.

We have made offers to Hyperion to resolve this matter that we believe are fair, but we have been turned down on three separate occasions.

Did I miss something in the answers or in the past?  Are there legal troubles between Hyperion and Amiga Inc.?

We are in current discussions with three companies, and I believe that two of them have product and offerings that offer a competitive opportunity for the Amiga community. We are striving to get these deals complete, and until they are signed I am not at liberty to discuss them. I will say that Troika is not one of them, contrary to what is rumbling out there.

Troika not one of them? They seem to be the only one with info on an actual product?

Q. You will see portions of OS 5 being delivered in AmigaAnywhere and then those portions will marry with the rest of OS 5 and it will begin shipping as well.

A. No it will not. We want to see OS 4 ship, but by the time we get everything worked out you may be running version 5. I should mention that while we have only talked about it once, OS 5 has been in development in Amiga by Amiga engineers and staff for over two years. We have made some amazing progress and we are pleased with the results to date.

2 Amiga OSes?!!??!!?  Not another community split I hope.  I have bad feelings about this "OS5"

and last which gave me the most humor...
Over the next 5 years you will see OS 4, 5, and version 6 in the market along with supporting builds and infrastructure across several digital devices.

On the inside of my Amiga OS 3.9 booklet that comes in the CD case it says Copyright 2000.  6 and a 1/2 years later there is still no newer Amiga OS "in the market", but the predictions still come that 4, 5, and 6, are just around the corner.  Laughable.  I don't mean any disrepect to him and I'm sure he's not lying, but that is a pretty bold prediction and one I think everyone in the community would have learned not to make by now.

AmigaHeretic
A3000D (16mhz, 2MB Chip, 4MB Fast, SCSI (300+MB), SuperGen Genlock, Kick 3.1)
Back in my day, we didn\'t have water. We only had Oxygen and Hydrogen, and we\'d just have to shove them together.

Offline Hans_

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2006, 02:00:19 AM »
Thanks Bill and Wayne. This was very interesting and informative. Thanks for staying with us despite all the problems that have come your way.

However, it does bring up even more questions. Mainly about Amiga OS5. According to you, it's been in development since 2004. What is it based on? Any OS3/OS4 code involved? Will existing Amiga API's be part of this OS or is it something totally different?

I'll be watching developments with great interest.

Hans
http://hdrlab.org.nz/ - Amiga OS 4 projects, programming articles and more. Home of the RadeonHD driver for Amiga OS 4.x project.

Offline humppa

• Show only replies by humppa
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2006, 02:03:51 AM »
@AmigaHeretic
but the predictions still come that 4, 5, and 6, are just around the corner. Laughable.

Why laughable?
OS 5.0 has already been released.  :lol:

Offline Dagon

• Show only replies by Dagon
    • http://www.amigasympan.gr/depa
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2006, 02:06:59 AM »
It was nice hearing some news from Amiga Inc. but now I'm perplexed. Is there a transition plan from AmigaOS 4.0 to OS 5.0? Is it possible to see in the future a split between these two OSes? AmigaOS 4.0 to be continued by Hyperion and OS 5 being developed by Amiga Inc (btw is it the TAO OS or a different OS altogether?)
\\"So we must exercise ourselves in the things which bring happiness, since, if that be present, we have everything, and, if that be absent, all our actions are directed towards attaining it\\" - Epicurus

Offline legion

• Show only replies by legion
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2006, 02:09:49 AM »
Any OS3/OS4 code involved? Will existing Amiga API's be part of this OS or is it something totally different?

If OS5 is just TAO's extended JavaVM, further extended, I'm buying a peg.  I'm not even kidding.
Have you hugged your KennyR or Paul Gadd today?

Offline Piru

• \' union select name,pwd--
    • Show only replies by Piru
    • http://www.iki.fi/sintonen/
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2006, 02:12:10 AM »
With regard to the issue that you are talking about, we were notified by third parties that someone had manipulated and altered the ROM's. This is a violation of our IP and they were notified. We have since been told that it was not true and nothing was really done, that it was a manipulated video, not actual code that was changed.

http://www.doobreynet.co.uk/beta/ - manipulated video? really? Anyway, how does hosting a video breach amiga IP?

Quite interesting read (if you filter out the usual marketing talk, which is ~95%). Amiga Inc is having legal spat with Hyperion (did I understand that correctly?), and Troika has no OS4 license (hasn't even discussed with Amiga Inc about it).

/me gets the popcorn!

PS. If someone is interested about the contract draft, take a look at google: os4contractdraft.

Offline humppa

• Show only replies by humppa
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2006, 02:12:56 AM »
If OS5 is just TAO's extended JavaVM, further extended, I'm buying a peg. I'm not even kidding.

Wow, is this a threat?   :lol:

Offline Tomas

• Show only replies by Tomas
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2006, 02:15:45 AM »
It was nice hearing some news from Amiga Inc. but now I'm perplexed. Is there a transition plan from AmigaOS 4.0 to OS 5.0? Is it possible to see in the future a split between these two OSes? AmigaOS 4.0 to be continued by Hyperion and OS 5 being developed by Amiga Inc (btw is it the TAO OS or a different OS altogether?)

It makes no sense to call it AmigaOS 5 if all the code has been replaced. If it is just TAO, then i wont have anything to do with it.

Offline mr_a500

• Show only replies by mr_a500
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2006, 02:19:34 AM »
OS 5.0 started development in 2004 even though OS 4.0 is not finished in 2006? This must be a new software development plan I am unfamiliar with. Normally you finish the earlier version first. :-D

I assume Window Vista must be the version written BEFORE Windows XP then.

Well, I must not be negative. Bill has taken time to write long responses to all the questions. (I just can't see the answers)

Offline legion

• Show only replies by legion
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2006, 02:25:14 AM »
@humppa

Wow, is this a threat? :lol:

Hmmm... lemmee rephrase that:

"If OS5 is just TAO's extended JavaVM, further extended, I'm buying a peg after I punch humpaa in the pancreas. I'm not even kidding."

There, fixed it   :-D
Have you hugged your KennyR or Paul Gadd today?