Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Developer strikes it rich with iPhone game  (Read 2413 times)

Description:

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
Re: Developer strikes it rich with iPhone game
« Reply #29 from previous page: November 23, 2008, 05:40:23 PM »

Ilwrath wrote:

Now, coming back around to the article... Sure, it's wonderful you can code an app or game and make a few bucks on a handheld platform.  To me, it's interesting to consider why developers can make money on an iPhone app, and not a PC/Mac/Linux/Console, and what changes that might lead to software development, and platforms in general, in the future.

What is interesting is how Google, Nokia and now MicroSoft have all started services that follow the Apple App store service model...

Apple really stuck luck when it decided to use the iTunes iPod content delivery model for digital music... and they are making full use of the infrastructure to try out new concepts... I notice that Apple have tried to apply the same model to Video downloads, and it has not been even slightly as successful as Music and applications...

Offline kickstart

• Show only replies by kickstart
« Reply #30 on: November 23, 2008, 07:35:59 PM »
This is the alternative OS forum... but... reading about so many people talks more about mac than amiga in an amiga forum is a bit sad, i cant see all of this atraction in a mac, i have one of them, waiting for morphos of course.

Like sad is to play on iphone, where are the buttons on this "phone"? playing touching the screen? yes very mac, cool, fashion but useless.
a1200 060

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #31 on: November 23, 2008, 08:29:07 PM »

kickstart wrote:
This is the alternative OS forum... but... reading about so many people talks more about mac than amiga in an amiga forum is a bit sad, i cant see all of this atraction in a mac, i have one of them, waiting for morphos of course.

Like sad is to play on iphone, where are the buttons on this "phone"? playing touching the screen? yes very mac, cool, fashion but useless.

Just play with your Nokia, and wait until they get Touch Screen working :-)

Seriously, From a technical stand point the iPhone is pretty good... and the app store allows any of us to distribute our apps to any person on earth who has an iPhone... If you don't get how amazing that is... You've never developed software and had to deal with a publisher :-(

Offline kickstart

• Show only replies by kickstart
« Reply #32 on: November 23, 2008, 08:38:59 PM »
I dont play with my phone, well just one game is addictive in a phone Snake in 5110 or 6110 this was really cool in a phone, but its nokia and not apple, apple sell a one button mouse with some useless things and "reinvented the mouse" callin it mighty mouse.

At the eyes of a "normal" user iphone is a cool pda with a shorted phone. Nothing personal with you bloodline just my opinion.
a1200 060

Offline Chubbyrain

• Show only replies by Chubbyrain
« Reply #33 on: November 23, 2008, 10:20:43 PM »
The 'Mighty Mouse' has more than one button ;)

My original response in the original thread, restated is:

I think the iPhone SDK is a great idea and the iPhone itself a growing platform for any person who fancies making a game or app themselves. It's actually a nice phone and I wouldn't part with mine. A lot of the apps for it are 'gimmicky' but that's true of any new platform. As it matures I think we are going to see some interesting stuff.

I am also excited because not since the 'classic' days of the 80's has it been possible to produce and sell your own software and actually have the chance of turning a nice profit. Until now, the biggest platforms were the PC/Console markets and you needed big money and a team of people to produce and sell stuff. I have to credit Microsoft with coming up with the idea first with the homegrown game creation stuff on the X-Box, but Apple once again have polished the idea and given it mass appeal.

I know this is an Amiga site, but let's face it, you can only recycle so much information for a dead platform. Sometimes you have to look at the modern technology mark to get things into perspective. Although I notice a tendency to shoot down anything in flames that isn't an Amiga. It is a good idea to see what else is going on.

Personally I'd rather spend my time writing something for the iPhone than the Amiga, since people will actually pay you for an iPhone app. I may actually download this SDK and have a look.

And yes, I use Apple products and love them. I also use a PC and Commodore stuff.

For those berating Apple for the way they run the apps store, you should be thankful that you never had to deal with Sega and Nintendo when their systems used cartridges!

International Beer Taster