Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Developer strikes it rich with iPhone game  (Read 2412 times)

Description:

Offline persiaTopic starter

• Show only replies by persia
Developer strikes it rich with iPhone game
« on: November 22, 2008, 07:49:54 PM »
Developer strikes it rich with iPhone game
By Brandon Griggs
CNN

(CNN) -- With its glassy touch screen, powerful graphics, crisp sound and tilt feature, the iPhone is more than a smart phone for some users -- it's a portable entertainment system.

It's also become a potential gold mine for entrepreneurs who create games for the device. Just ask Steve Demeter, developer of the popular puzzle game "Trism."

A former ATM software designer for a large bank, Demeter created "Trism" in his spare time and pitched it to Apple last spring. The company made the game available for download with the July launch of its App Store, an online provider of applications for its iPods and iPhones.

Priced at $5, "Trism" earned Demeter $250,000 in profits the first two months.

"It's done phenomenal business," said Demeter, 29, who lives in the California's San Francisco Bay area. "I'm very honored that so many people would enjoy my game. I get e-mails from 50-year-old ladies who say, "I don't play games, but I love Trism.' That's the coolest thing."

It can take dozens of professional developers and millions of dollars to create a video game for a traditional console such as a PlayStation or an Xbox. But the iPhone and the App Store have helped democratize game development by opening the field to any software coder with talent and a clever idea, industry observers say.

"A single one of these titles can be turned around for pennies by comparison in just weeks by a single hobbyist working in their off-hours," said Scott Steinberg, publisher of DigitalTrends.com and author of "Get Rich Playing Games." "The overhead and barriers to entry are so low that virtually anyone can afford to take a crack, if not several, at hitting a home run."

Demeter took his crack after attending an iPhone conference in the summer of 2007. He spent months afterward brainstorming, by himself and with friends, about how to create an original game for the device. Once he got the idea for "Trism" in February he spent another four months coding the game on nights and weekends.

The result is a puzzle game, like "Bejeweled," in which players manipulate a colorful grid of triangles. Players score points by lining up three or more like-colored triangles in a row, with an iPhone twist: The triangles rearrange themselves depending on which way the player rotates the phone.

"I did the game myself, basically. I had a buddy of mine who actually came up with the name 'Trism.' I paid him a couple of grand. But other than that it [was] just me," Demeter told CNN. "It's a very simple-to-learn, hard-to-master puzzle game. It wasn't as hard [to develop] as a 3-D, gun-and-battle kind of game. But for the one-man team that I was, it was definitely a challenge."

Demeter quit his bank job two months ago and has launched a company, Demiforce, to develop more electronic games. Now he has a salaried staff, five games in development and two coming out by Christmas, including a spinoff to "Trism" called "Trismology."

"Apple has made it so easy to put [game publishing] in the palms of developers," he said. "You just make it and then you submit it to Apple. If you have a relevant, fun game or application, I don't see any reason why it shouldn't be approved."

Developers earn 70 percent of App Store proceeds from the sale of their games, with Apple taking 30 percent.

The field is getting crowded, though. There now are more than 1,500 iPhone games available from the App Store, up from about 900 two months ago.

"It's a rich and promising vein that several independent game publishers have been able to successfully tap," said DigitalTrends' Steinberg in an e-mail interview. "However, success stories remain the exception, not the norm -- as with any gold rush, what we're presently seeing is a massive number of prospectors looking to stake their claim.

"Many of the overnight successes we've witnessed enjoyed the benefits of timing and visibility, advantages quickly being eroded due to market oversaturation," Steinberg added. "Let's put it this way: I wouldn't tell anyone to quit their day job just yet. As with any Cinderella story, chances of recreating this kind of success are few and far between."

CNN
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

Re: Developer strikes it rich with iPhone game
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2008, 07:50:57 PM »
Now play nice.  No personal insults this time!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline ZeBeeDee

• Show only replies by ZeBeeDee
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2008, 07:51:14 PM »
And this has to do with Amiga's how ..?

This is AMIGA.ORG not apple.com
To err is human ... to BOING divine!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline Flashlab

• Show only replies by Flashlab
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2008, 08:03:20 PM »
@ZeBeeDee

Ditto!
Amiga 4000D Cyberstorm PPC 060@50 604@200 SCSI 130Mb Ram G-Rex Voodoo3 PicassoIV Paloma Ariadne Delfina Lite

Online Flash version of BoulderDash: Offline...

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2008, 08:11:32 PM »
This is the "alternate Operating System" forum!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline ZeBeeDee

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2008, 08:15:33 PM »
So a game for a phone is an 'alternative operating system' ... interesting ...

All I see is iphone, game, apple.com ... nothing to do with an alternative OS me thinks.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline Flashlab

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2008, 08:16:49 PM »
What is the point then of posting a news item from CNN with no further comment? Is there anything you would want to discuss from the item or are you just stirring the pot? Especially your second post in this topic is weird as no-one even replied to your post yet. Almost as if your waiting for a flamewar.
Amiga 4000D Cyberstorm PPC 060@50 604@200 SCSI 130Mb Ram G-Rex Voodoo3 PicassoIV Paloma Ariadne Delfina Lite

Offline redrumloa

• Original Omega User
    • Show only replies by redrumloa
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2008, 08:20:51 PM »

ZeBeeDee wrote:
So a game for a phone is an 'alternative operating system' ... interesting ...

All I see is iphone, game, apple.com ... nothing to do with an alternative OS me thinks.

Alternative OS is pretty all encompassing and the iPhone runs Mac OSX.

Amiga.org is inclusive, not exclusive. Why not be able to discuss mainstream alternatives from an Amiga user's perspective?
Someone has to state the obvious and that someone is me!

Offline ZeBeeDee

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2008, 08:23:33 PM »
sorry red but IMHO the way the original post reads, it's an advert for apple, a game and iphone

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline Tension

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2008, 08:24:49 PM »
Is peria not just simply pointing out that money can still be made from bedroom programming.  I really don`t see what the problem is with his post.

Consider the context.

Offline Flashlab

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2008, 08:32:34 PM »
Maybe he could have pointed out what his idea was in copying a news item from another site instead of us interpreting his original motivations?

Offline ChaosLord

• Show only replies by ChaosLord
    • http://totalchaoseng.dbv.pl/news.php
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2008, 08:35:51 PM »
The "news" article is propaganda.
Wanna try a wonderfull strategy game with lots of handdrawn anims,
Magic Spells and Monsters, Incredible playability and lastability,
English speech, etc. Total Chaos AGA

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2008, 08:41:33 PM »
You guys can kvetch all you like.  It's sounding a little like jealousy.  I'm *not* a proponent of AI's "the Amiga is a phone OS" idea, but I do like money.  The ability to built or port a simple game idea and make $250k in two months is.. well..  enticing to say the least.

Unfortunately, it looks like Amiga Inc may have had the right idea (for making money) but has missed the boat long ago.

Wayne

Offline InTheSand

• Show only replies by InTheSand
    • http://www.ali.geek.nz
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2008, 08:43:22 PM »

ChaosLord wrote:
The "news" article is propaganda.

Exactly! It's just another symptom of the "ooh, shiny!" Homer Simpson-esque obsession some areas of the media have with the iPhone at the moment.

Bedroom coders make money from coding Symbian and Windows Mobile applications all the time - and they don't have to pay for the privilege or have their work approved by a committee.

- Ali

Offline amigadave

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by amigadave
    • http://www.EfficientByDesign.org
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2008, 11:21:30 PM »
"Bedroom coders make money from coding Symbian and Windows Mobile applications all the time - and they don't have to pay for the privilege or have their work approved by a committee"

I am sure they do make a few dollars, but show me just one of them that has made $250,000 in two months.

All this jealous crap I am seeing here makes me wonder why I still visit this website everyday if this is what Amiga users are turning into.

The article shows how one coder from his home can still make some decent money if he has an original idea, or just plain luck, and that should be interesting to any computer enthusiast, be they Windows, Linux, Mac, or Amiga users.

I don't own an iPhone, and it is looking like I won't be getting one soon, so I am not biased or spouting any propaganda.  Wayne is right, there was a time, a tiny fragment of days, weeks, or maybe even months, where A.Inc might have been able to get in on the mobile & cell phone market and made a few dollars, but that time is long past.  A.Inc has no future now.
How are you helping the Amiga community? :)