Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: 64bit OS...  (Read 3788 times)

Description:

Offline mihcael

• Show only replies by mihcael
    • http://brutalamiga.mikendezign.com/
Re: 64bit OS...
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2008, 01:26:59 AM »
AROS 64? :-D

UAE would need to be recompiled(fixed) for 64

Offline Trev

• Zero
    • Show only replies by Trev
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2008, 01:43:38 AM »
@michael

Optimizing UAE's JIT compiler for 64-bit host systems (and vector units) sounds like a worthy project.

Offline Plaz

« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2008, 02:00:38 AM »
...In other words, Vista SP1, only with dubious licensing?

Um... no.  What link did you see? Not the one I posted. Have another look.

Plaz

Offline adolescent

• Show only replies by adolescent
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2008, 07:35:24 AM »
Gotta go with Vista here.  

Windows Server 2003 x64 Edition has the same core as XP x64, so you'll have the same trouble.  (That said, SP2 fixes a lot of stability issues...)

Windows Server 2008 I'd figure would be about the same as Vista but more costly.  Although, features like Hyper-V look nice if you have the need for them.

Solaris x64?  Odd choice, but you can't run WinUAE on Solaris.

Time to move on.  Bye Amiga.org.  :(

Offline darksun9210

« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2008, 08:22:32 AM »
since i went from vista32 to vista64, i've found it to be "as vista should have been (tm)". i've not had problems with graphics drivers and since i upgraded to the latest vista64 drivers, i've had better performance after downloading a modified .inf file from the web for my laptop's go7700.
nor have i had problems running any sofware be it games or whatever. except symantec antivirus "you need to install the correct version for this version of windows" - also known as "we want to charge you more money". so no real loss there.

if you are willing to learn, then solaris is a good way to go, plus you can have another feather in your cap with regards to your leet computer skillz.. ahem... i was thinking of impletmenting some kind of thick/thin client system, where you have solaris running on a backend server, and your front end box, but what you have is a hosted virtual box (running windows) using the local resources so your files/desktop/profile follow you around to where ever you log in (to windows), but if it all goes a over t, you can login to a "blank" virtual windows machine and recover from a snapshot. rebuild a machine in seconds.
trouble is, i can't be bothered. :roll:

and windows server 2008 is just a modified vista SP1 installation, as far as i can tell...

current release of WinUAE on solaris is 0.8.6 i've found so far.

A500 Vampire2/minimegachip/lazarus/indyECS
A600 Vampire2/604n/subway/IndyECS
A1200 PiStorm32+Pi4/subway/IndyAGA
A3k C=040/CV64-3D/Xsurf100+RRoadUSB/Zoram256/acard scsi-ide-CF/IndyECS,
A4k CSMk3-060/CV64-3D/Xsurf100+RRoadUSB/Bigram256/IndyAGA, mediator+pci cards
CD32 TF360/IndyAGA
Plus an SGI O2 & consoles.

Offline tokyoracer

• Show only replies by tokyoracer
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2008, 11:22:26 AM »
I want to know why not Linux? :-?

Personally I hate Vista and would do anything I can to avoid it. Changes are the reason why your x64 OS is crashing is because XP is only designed take upto 4GB of RAM.

Offline gazgod

• Show only replies by gazgod
    • http://www.lincsamiga.org.uk
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2008, 12:00:56 PM »

Hans_ wrote:
I don't think that any 64-bit OS is ready for prime-time yet.

because solaris has only been 64bit for about 10 years!!!!

Ive been running enterprise applications on solaris 64 for years and you reckon its not ready for "prime-time" how much more "prime-time" can you get. when are people going to realise that there a lot more to the world of computing then the cr@p that sits on the desk!!

Gary

Offline Seiya

• Show only replies by Seiya
    • http://www.amigademo.tk
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2008, 12:57:52 PM »

Nostalgiac wrote:
I just got some extra mem... taking my pc from 2 to 6gb :-)

So now I need a 64bit OS.... I tried WinXP64 but that is

maybe you have some hardware problems, because WinXP x64 is more and more stable than other Win OS.
Maybe you have to update with new SP2 x64 eh :)

And with XP x64 WinUAE run very well

Offline darksun9210

« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2008, 01:11:47 PM »
someone said "why not linux?" i say, "why linux?" :lol:

seriously, a computer is a machine. a tool. a device. i want to run games. i want 4+Gb of ram. i want uptodate video drivers. i want to run applications, so i run vista64.
i have another box that runs solaris10 for my Unix fix,
i was going to build an HTPC machine on Debian for MythTV, but i'm lazy, so i'll probably use vista64 mediacentre.
my other half's desktop and laptop run windows XP as she needs cisco VPN/tiumbuktu/remote desktop/microsoft office, and a comfortably familier operating environment.

use whatever is the best tool for the job.

amiga for any excuse i can use to fire them up  :-D

A500 Vampire2/minimegachip/lazarus/indyECS
A600 Vampire2/604n/subway/IndyECS
A3k C=040/CV64-3D/Xsurf100+RRoadUSB/Zoram256/acard scsi-ide-CF/IndyECS,
A4k CSMk3-060/CV64-3D/Xsurf100+RRoadUSB/Bigram256/IndyAGA, mediator+pci cards
CD32 TF360/IndyAGA
Plus an SGI O2 & consoles.

Offline DonnyEMU

• Show only replies by DonnyEMU
    • http://blog.donburnett.com
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2008, 02:14:15 PM »
I use Windows Vista x64. I started in the days when drivers and software issues were rampant. That's all calmed down now and it's fairly stable and there aren't driver issues like the old days.

I never used to have XP64 crash at all, even in a 1 Gig configuration..

If you go with Vista x64 I recommend you run something called Tweak VI by the makers of TweakXP. It will take care of most of the gotchas and tune and optimize your system. You can find this at..

http://www.totalidea.com/content/tweakvi/tweakvi-index.php

the basic free version speeds up Vista immensely and will allow you to manage your resources and optimize your computer..

Tweak VI

Also make sure you have updated to all service packs including .Net framework 3.5 SP1 (which just got release, most of what's the basis for the supposed "Win7" is reportedly in there..
======================================
Don Burnett Developer
http://blog.donburnett.com
don@donburnett.com
======================================

Offline Trev

• Zero
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2008, 05:10:09 PM »
@gazgod

because solaris has only been 64bit for about 10 years!!!!

Ive been running enterprise applications on solaris 64 for years and you reckon its not ready for "prime-time" how much more "prime-time" can you get. when are people going to realise that there a lot more to the world of computing then the cr@p that sits on the desk!!

And Digital/Tru64 Unix and IRIX for longer than that. Chances are, however, that he won't be running Oracle, DB2, SAP, or something else equally as corporatey or scientificy. 64-bit parallel computing has yet to crack the consumer mainstream.

Offline Colin_Camper

• Show only replies by Colin_Camper
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2008, 05:45:49 PM »
@Thread

I agree that Vista64 is good for pretty much everything except audio. It is the most stable OS I have ever run.
I don't know what happened to audio - it's totally borked on vista 32 or 64. I thought they were going to fix it with SP1 but it was just as bad as ever.

As this is an Amiga site I am suprised that noone has mentioned our 64bit OS on x86.  :-?
Colin Camper CCNP MCSE P45 UB40
A4000D

Offline AeroMan

• Show only replies by AeroMan
« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2008, 06:01:52 PM »

Colin_Camper wrote:

As this is an Amiga site I am suprised that noone has mentioned our 64bit OS on x86.  :-?

It was mentioned :-D

mihcael wrote:
AROS 64? :-D

UAE would need to be recompiled(fixed) for 64

Offline NostalgiacTopic starter

• Show only replies by Nostalgiac
« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2008, 08:09:23 PM »
oh my :-)

thanks for all the reactions - let me try to answer some of the why's :-)

- 64bit / 6gb ram
because I have a real need to use VMWare/VirtualBox to run multiple OS's

- Solaris x64
Because I have used Solaris for 10+ years now... and I happen to work for Sun :-) and yes, Solaris has been 64bit for a looooong time, and is working very well indeed - as stable as Stonehenge, and driverwise perfectly supporting my box. Note that if I do go this way, I wil be running WinXP in a VMWare for some more "usual" stuff - I'm not in denial that I won't need some windows.

- Running Oracle etc... urm... in fact I WILL be running Oracle as my box doubles up as a work from home box (either in a windows or a Solaris env, does not realy matter)

- No Linux... for the (for me) obvious reason... there is no "one" Linux, not a single one fullfils its promises - they all do bits and bops, combine them, and I will look again.

- Windows server editions... ah well... I have access to an MSDN subscription - so license cost is zero to me.

- WinXP 64bit: I tried it... had it in dual boot for 4 months now (with 2gb of mem)... no... not stable.

- Windows 2003 server: potentialy as it has proven to be reliable and certainly more stable then xp64

- windows 2008... yes I was planning to turn it into a "workstation" based on that website. Just had no experience with it yet.

- Vista.. duno... it's the logical choise for a desktop. I hated the beta which I tried, then got swayed back by a hardcore unix guy who said vista to be the first Windows version he did not hate.

So far, from feedback here and from my work colleagues, Vista64 seems to hit the buttons - with VMWare/VirtualBox for the "other" stuff as needed.

Sidenote: Hackintosh... yup, but not as my main OS. I'ld love to try it - my day2day laptop is MacbookPro and I love it. I guess eventually I will buy a MacPro but can't afford it right now.

ta
Tom UK

2000/2060/128mb/2320/2gb/C64-3D/Hydra-Aminet on OS 3.9

c128/1541/1750/1351 with Dolphin Dos and eprom burner

Offline cv643d

• Show only replies by cv643d
« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2008, 09:48:19 PM »
Myself I am going to up from 4 to 8 GB and run Ubuntu 64-bit and XP32 in VMWare.

Sure 64-bit Vista is great, mind bogling, the computer never slows down! Running Unrar on 100 GB of downloaded torrents, downloading a torrent at 700 KB/s and working just normal with IE, Photoshop etc at the same time. Its truly a workstation.  

4 cores sure help a lot. But Vista has not been so stable for me. And I have had quite a lot of problems. Plug in your PSP, need drivers (what driver?  :crazy: )

Plug in 320 GB IDE hard drive, can not install, need drivers ( :-? ), goes to Seagates homepage "your hard drive does not need drivers" WTF  :madashell:

I could make a long list, but the truth is out there anyway, (on the net  :rtfm: ).

If Vista feels this fast on quad core + 4 GB, I wonder if the computer is going to take off from my table running Ubuntu with 8GB  :-D  (already running Ubuntu on my P4 server and I am impressed, coming from BSD background before).
Amiga articles
"New shell. It was finished a while back, but I still see bugs, haha" - SSolie

Offline Trev

• Zero
« Reply #29 from previous page: August 12, 2008, 09:51:11 PM »
Well then, you want VMware ESX (yeah, it's Linux-based, but it's not a general purpose environment). Install what you need on top of that.

Or go with Windows Server 2008 Enterprise with Hyper-V.

In either case, you can host WinXP 32-bit for everyday putzing around.