Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Amiga 600, faulty keyboard membrane  (Read 309 times)

Description:

Offline space_pirateTopic starter

• Show only replies by space_pirate
Amiga 600, faulty keyboard membrane
« on: March 02, 2024, 11:16:57 AM »
Hi, a diagonal column of keys of my Amiga 600 stopped working (F1,2,W,S,X,) Maybe someone with experience could help me identify where the traces of those particular keys go so to identify the fault (I'm pulling my hairs right now).

Also, could this be the problem?

« Last Edit: March 02, 2024, 04:56:12 PM by space_pirate »

Offline Boing-ball

Re: Amiga 600, faulty keyboard membrane
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2024, 01:57:44 PM »
I would cut my losses and just buy a replacement membrane. They aren't that much.

Just make sure you buy the correct one. I.e the green membrane (NOT a blue one as that’s for a different keyboard).

Recommend one of these:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/296228134876?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=_rgzXdwVROW&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=udhysnkvtsy&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2024, 06:27:14 PM »
Thanks, before starting to look more in depth at the problem I was about to buy the blue one, you saved me a headache. However, now that I've been able to narrow down the issue to a single row I won't give up just yet.

P.S. also, I don't know how you were able to find that listing, I had previously made a few searches with various keywords but that particular listing never came up.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2024, 06:30:31 PM by space_pirate »

Offline Boing-ball

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2024, 07:56:28 PM »
Thanks, before starting to look more in depth at the problem I was about to buy the blue one, you saved me a headache. However, now that I've been able to narrow down the issue to a single row I won't give up just yet.

P.S. also, I don't know how you were able to find that listing, I had previously made a few searches with various keywords but that particular listing never came up.

Up to you. But from experience, it is not worth the hassle. Once you repair that trace, you may have more traces fail.

As for the EBay search. Just used the search “A600 Membrane”.
The hard type membranes make the key presses more firmer in my opinion. That and the harder edge connector to push into the keyboard connector is a winner.

All the best.

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2024, 01:17:47 AM »
Up to you. But from experience, it is not worth the hassle. Once you repair that trace, you may have more traces fail.

All the best.

The traces of the non working keys were fine, I checked every centimeter of it, so I came up with an unorthodox solution as a last ditch attempt before buying a new membrane: I cut the connector in half, and... the keyboard works now.

Thanks for the help, should the keyboard stop working again I'll use the link you provided to buy a new one.

Bye

Offline Boing-ball

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2024, 05:17:57 PM »
Good to know..
Personally I would opt for a new membrane. But what ever works 👍🏻