Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Graphic Advventure - Dying Game Genre?  (Read 3549 times)

Description:

Offline ottomobiehl

• Show all replies
Re: Graphic Advventure - Dying Game Genre?
« on: March 25, 2003, 06:45:04 AM »
Graphic adventure games are also my favorite.   Well worth the money.

Maybe game delveloper could use all of our advanced hardware (and OSs)  to make the stories "more" non-linear and bigger.

Also I think that they should stick to traditional 2D animated (cartoon?) style instead of the new 3D style.  Just my 2 cents.

Offline ottomobiehl

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2003, 07:17:04 AM »

/me misses good ol' 80's arcade games...

Ah yes, the 80s arcade games were the best.  Lets not forget about C=64 games of the 80s.  Bruce Lee is still one of my favorites followed by Zak McKraken, and Maniac Mansion.

Even the old 1541s and their incredibly slow load times had their purpose.  Those were the times for bathroom breaks and beverage runs. :-D

Maybe I'm old fashioned but if I want 3D I'll play Bards Tale 1, 2 or 3. :-P

Offline ottomobiehl

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2003, 05:46:32 AM »
Well, I have never actually owned a C64, I was (and still am) an Amstrad CPC freak.

I am ok with people who enjoyed (and still enjoy) the 8-bit computers of the day.  In my mind all us are kindred spirits be it C=64, Amstrade, Apple 8-bit familey, etc.  I still have my C=64 and play with it every now and then.

I believe the limitation of the systems back then forced a lot of game developers to be creative with gameplay and storys so games back then had a lot of personality. :-)

Of course with such a talented pool of game developers the Amiga came out at the right time to combine the better (superior?) graphics with exellent game development.  I think that is why the Amiga holds a soft spot in my heart and probably a lot of other peoples hearts too.

Of course this is just my 2 cents worth.  Thank you. :-D

Offline ottomobiehl

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2003, 09:27:14 AM »
Were has the creativity gone? The originality, the ability to create engrossing game universes. Were is the Elite of the 21st century? I'll tell you were, dead and buried under the hundreds of has been titles like Tombraider, who helped create this 3D genre for games - to our detriment mind you.

My Opinion is that the creativity has shifted.  During the 80s and the early 90s we had talented story tellers who where also talented programmers as most games had a handful of programmers working on that.

Now we have creative programers who make wonderful environs and such but we lost the creative story tellers.  The emphasis seems to make the next version of the same type of game.

Also back in the 80s most game companies where small business that ran like families so there was a human element attached to the games.  Now it seems that mega-corporations and congomerates own game companies and the human touch is lost (sounds kinda like the movies industry too.  :-P  )  They just throw millions of dollars at a project and market the hell out of them in order to make millions more.

The demo scene and a lot of the shareware is made by small groups of people who love making games and believe in what they do.  In most cases these tend to be the most satisfying games to play.

I am not one who would stand against anyone making money but making games is an art.  And art comes through vision, passion, blood, sweat, and tears.  :-)

I let my wallet do my talking.  I am more willing to spend my hard earned currancy on a small budget shareware project that is good quality than the assembly line crap most "game" conglomerates dish out. ;-) (not that all games that come from the corporate side are bad.)

Sorry to rant but I like a good game.  Just my 2 ...er...15 cents.

Offline ottomobiehl

• Show all replies
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2003, 10:06:47 AM »
Hey JJ

U can't slate one machine. either console or computer, against each other when it comes to playing games.

Naw, I wasn't being machine specific but you are right about playing the game you like on the machine you like (i.e. nes, snes, playstation, etc.)  Each have games that I have enjoyed playing.

I have never played or think i ever will adventures that really imersed me into the world as monkey island 1 and 2.

Monkey Island 1 and 2 are great and I played them often.  They are kinda like a good book that you go back and read often or a place you enjoy where you can go and visit again and again.

Offline ottomobiehl

• Show all replies
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2003, 05:05:40 AM »
@Kermito

I would love to see a remake of classic C64 games like Project Fire Star or Caveman-Ughlympics...

Creativity is the thing missing from most of the recent games. I really admire the people from squaresoft that make those brilliant RPG in a low level hardware as some people think the PS2 is compared to PC like xbox, but I don't believe that a good game requires the latest state-of- art technology.

I agree with you 100%.  Perhaps game developers should develop thier games on basic stripped down systems to hammer out gameplay and originality then give them the killer systems to add the eye candy.  Maybe we can get some original/fun games like we used to have instead of the cookie cutter mass produced stuff we have now. :ranting:

Just a thought...

Offline ottomobiehl

• Show all replies
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2003, 08:17:05 AM »
aftel all, what are the final fantasy (7, 8 and 9...not the 10... i didn' t see it) if they aren' t graphic adventure, with a little battle from time to time ? What is Exile (Myst 3) if not a graphic advenure, at this exception that the graphic is an environement ?

Perhaps these games take some of the best (or worst) elements of graphic adventures and use them in thier own games.

I have only played a couple of Final Fantasy games (7, and 8) and they seemed to be just linear ploted RPGs with pretty,  prerendered backgrounds (no I haven't played the new one for PS2.)  I enjoyed playing the games  but after solving them they lost their replay value to me.