Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Hello!  (Read 1604 times)

Description:

Offline blongdenTopic starter

• Show only replies by blongden
Hello!
« on: January 23, 2023, 12:54:22 PM »
Hi everyone,

My first ever Amiga was an A1200 back in ~1993 with the Desktop Dynamite boxed set. I think this was the intro for the 1200 in the UK, at least I vaguely remember having to wait a few weeks for it to come into stock at our local independent computer shop in Perth, Scotland, the name of which escapes me now (though I'll have to see if I can dig around and find out which one it was). I decided at the time that I could wait for the hard disk as they would need to install it, which would take a week or so, so desperate was I to take it home... I did eventually get a 128MB (3.5" IDE, squeezed into the case!) which I installed myself, then later added a Blizzard 030@50Mhz with 8MB FastMem expansion. I had a multiscan monitor too which I could run at 800x600, though I can't remember what one it was I have a photo somewhere of the side profile. Another thing to work out, eventually.

Anyway, I found myself reminiscing about that amiga recently and discovered the amiga community not only still exists, but is actually fairly active! I'm amazed at the mods that are availabile in 2023 for the humble A1200. I managed to acquire a 1200 on ebay (rev 1B motherboard - not ideal - but ok for now). I'm torn between a faithful rebuild of the machine I had between 93 and about 98 when I (sadly) parted with it, vs what I would have absolutely wanted for that computer if I had clung onto it (looking at you, Vampire...!)

The journey so far has been a rebuild of the original keyboard, all cleaned and put back together. Replaced the broken floppy drive with a gotek emultator which I have stripped apart and 3d printed mounts for, just awaiting longer cables so I can hook up the rotary selector and dial to a 3d printed panel that I can mount to the top of the case - no cutting the case allowed! Also added a 8GB CF drive. I am currently waiting for new 3.2 ROMS and OS, mouse adapter for a USB mouse (the original is just as awful as I remember it). I need to make a decision on the expansion board, and I backed the Checkmate 19" monitor kickstarter which I want to use with the 1200. In the meantime I've also ordered a RGB -> Scart cable and will repurpose an old LCD TV.

It's been fun so far, and the times I have actually been a position to boot up the amiga, workbench continues to make me smile. Looking forward to having a working machine again!
« Last Edit: January 23, 2023, 03:36:32 PM by blongden »

Offline BozzerBigD

Re: Hello!
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2023, 03:11:56 PM »
Welcome! That sounds quite a journey! I too am enjoying refurbishing a model 1B A1200. What is the issue with this particular revision in your opinion?
"Art challenges technology. Technology inspires the art."

John Lasseter, Co-Founder of Pixar Animation Studios

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2023, 03:46:39 PM »
The only thing so far is that I can't mod it to have an internal USB for a mouse (Need a 2B for that). Other than that it's absolutely fine so far. I'm not actually sure what the differences are between the revisions and I've not been able to find a write up. The 1B has the wire that provides a clean clock signal for budgie (apparently they never fixed it, that wire became part of the motherboard on the 2B).

Quite an interesting read, incase you ever wondered! https://www.tsb.space/knowledge-base/amiga-what-are-those-board-jump-wires/ :)

Offline BozzerBigD

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2023, 05:19:59 PM »
Interesting! Thanks. I recommend the 9-pin optical laser mice from AmigaKit or the laser adapter kits for old 9-pin ball mice from AmigaStore.eu
« Last Edit: January 23, 2023, 08:22:53 PM by BozzerBigD »
"Art challenges technology. Technology inspires the art."

John Lasseter, Co-Founder of Pixar Animation Studios

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2023, 10:46:12 AM »
I looked at the laser adapter kits but I think they were out of stock. I'll keep an eye on it though. I've order a 9pin -> USB for now though so hopefully one of the mice that I own will work ok with it!