Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The Os 3.1.4 Thread  (Read 240023 times)

Description:

Offline hth313

• Show all replies
Re: The Os 3.1.4 Thread
« on: June 26, 2019, 08:29:17 PM »
And while I am posting - someone tell Damien over at EAB that it is the only site I am banned, unlike what he likes to believe.

Done.

Offline hth313

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2019, 06:02:24 PM »
« Last Edit: June 27, 2019, 06:10:09 PM by hth313 »

Offline hth313

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2019, 05:46:12 PM »
Github would be even better, you can have releases there too.  ;D

Offline hth313

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2019, 08:22:46 AM »
I had no idea Costel maintained Aminet, interesting to know.

Gitlab is nice too and you can also use it on your own server. I used mentioned Github as I am more used to it.

In any case, this reminds me of the product company I worked at a few years back. We developers made a release and then marketing did their stuff. Writing press releases, talking about sports, taking coffee breaks and god knows all they were up to, not always getting the release out the door asap it felt like. We seldom communicated release dates as it was notoriously hard to predict it, we developers slipped in late corrections, had to re-test and marketing had their rituals. It was better when we could hand out nightly builds to customers in need, as we could skip most procedures.

The "funny" part was that marketing did not even want a lot of releases as they could not handle it. We developers had lots of automation, so we could quite easily crank out new releases, but it was a different story in marketing.

Offline hth313

• Show all replies
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2019, 07:54:19 PM »
The bonus code is the part after 512K of any 2.x or 3.x superkickstart file.

During startup it is copied onto the last 4K of the actual kickstart image, the MMU is configured so that this RAM image loaded appears in the ROM location and write protects it. Then the system resets and your soft kicked image is now the “ROM”. As long as you do not fiddle with the MMU in a bad way it stays there and appears to be the ROM so ordinary resident tricks should work the same as with a real ROM.