Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Timberwolf Progress Update  (Read 21224 times)

Description:

Offline AmigaNG

• Show only replies by AmigaNG
Re: Timberwolf Progress Update
« Reply #119 from previous page: August 17, 2011, 04:39:53 PM »
Quote from: Piru;655073
Generalizing like that does wonders in building ever wider disparity.
Sorry, remind me what camp are you from? :) and takemehomegrandma with his blue butterfly avatar and magnetic with his sig saying bPlan Pegasos2 G4@1ghz Triple Boot:Reg. MorphOS /Ubuntu GNU-Linux /MacOS X

I dont mean to generalises and I'm sure there are a lot of MorphOS users who like or at the very least respect other Amiga community efforts its just a shame that some cant. That is all I'm trying to ask for, greater repect for peoples efforts.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 04:42:34 PM by AmigaNG »

Offline Piru

• \' union select name,pwd--
    • Show only replies by Piru
    • http://www.iki.fi/sintonen/
« Reply #120 on: August 17, 2011, 04:47:08 PM »
Quote from: klx300r;655075
yup always the same old usual suspects but it's tolerated & actually expected here at this site unfortunately, so why are you surprised:confused:

There are several individuals who I'd rather see stfu permanently. Yet, for some reason I don't see it a failing of this site (well most of the time at least).

If this freedom feels overwhelming there are alternatives which are far more restrictive of what you can say or criticise...

Offline Norway

• Show only replies by Norway
« Reply #121 on: August 17, 2011, 05:05:24 PM »
Quote from: Piru;655079
There are several individuals who I'd rather see stfu permanently.

Yes, lets hope so.

Offline jj

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by jj
« Reply #122 on: August 17, 2011, 05:31:36 PM »
Piru grow up.  The so called  Frieden brothers and hyperion are ****ing gods and nobody should say anything bad about them or what they do.  Your just ****ing jealous you are not a coding god like these people.  I would happily have one of the  Frieden brothers in my mouth and the other in my arse whilst wearing an AOS4 t-shirt.  I wouldn't even boot your crappy OS on my machine.
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” - George Bernard Shaw

Xbox Live: S0ulA55a551n2

Registered MorphsOS 3.13 user on Powerbook G4 15"

Offline itix

• Show only replies by itix
« Reply #123 on: August 17, 2011, 06:47:24 PM »
:-D
My Amigas: A500, Mac Mini and PowerBook

Offline lsmart

• Show only replies by lsmart
« Reply #124 on: August 17, 2011, 07:58:32 PM »
@JJ: For entertainment value - You have to imagine Piru talking in the voice of Sheldon (Jim Parsons) from The Big Bang Theory. I recently watched 4 seasons of BBT in a row and couldn´t help to recognize the tone.

As for Timberwolf - I think it is a very important and significant project and can´t wait to see the finished thing.

Offline bernd_afa

• Show only replies by bernd_afa
« Reply #125 on: August 17, 2011, 08:01:30 PM »
Quote from: AmigaNG;655058
Yes it is quite amusing and sad that you morphOS fans seem to feel the need to pick out flaws and issues with a product you clearly not interested in. And when Odyssey came out how many of you had a nice discussion about all the feature that Fab hard work has done for you
http://www.amiga.org/forums/showthread.php?t=58734
3 posts, and notice how many OS4 fans jump on and bashed the project or tried to derail the thread?

this post from jorkany

""""
I just got the FireFox 6.0 update for OS X.

Hows that FF 4.0 rewrite of Timberwolf coming along?
""""

is only a troll post, if he know not that the friedens have tell they want only release firefox 4 as far i remember, and not more.but you cant asume that all read this statement.

I have the feeling the OS4 side is oversensible

instead of write your long post, a short link to that message tell the user that the friedens need not do more than 3.6.

Maybe some day(maybe when X1000 is release) they tell oh we can not do 4.x we do only 3.6 .the bounty rules say thats ok, because it is not modified to current situation

""""
http://www.amigabounty.net/?function=viewproject&projectid=44

This bounty shall not cover anything beyond the released version, ie. Version 3.6 or later versions of Firefox.
"""""

but with very small programming knowledge can see that its a bad port, when a working Port can not easy update to newest Version.
normaly once a OS is support, newer version of such a platform portable Software as firefox can compile in newest version by a user with little programming and compiler knowledge.
maybe its possible there happen some small problems, here can a expert developer help, but normaly this are only small things, that can fix in some days.

I think a browser for AOS is useless to attract new users, when he can not easy update to newest Core Version, and coders that do the Port miss talent to do such a port.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 08:06:34 PM by bernd_afa »

Offline Derfs

• Show only replies by Derfs
« Reply #126 on: August 17, 2011, 08:29:59 PM »
Quote from: bernd_afa;655098
*snip*

instead of write your long post, a short link to that message tell the user that the friedens need not do more than 3.6.

Maybe some day(maybe when X1000 is release) they tell oh we can not do 4.x we do only 3.6 .the bounty rules say thats ok, because it is not modified to current situation

""""

This bounty shall not cover anything beyond the released version, ie. Version 3.6 or later versions of Firefox.
"""""

ignoring, as always, your grudges against them, if you are going to quote, at least get it correct

The version to be ported is the most recent 4.0 version including the latest stability fixes. At the time of writing this, the most recent 4.0 version is 4.0.1. Any subsequent stability fix will be applied.

Later versions of Firefox (4.1 and beyond) are not covered by the bounty.

also

The source code of the port will be made available only as far as the MPL requires it, i.e. all modified source code files will be available for interested parties, but new files will not. This is in accordance with the requirements of the Mozilla Public License.

how can people justify being angry for someone following the MPL? if anyone is unhappy that this is allowed, then I take it you have aired it with Mozilla themselves?

sounds more like this thread has aired everyones personal grudges, while the rest of us wait until there is something final to use and test, and then pass comment.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 08:32:15 PM by Derf »

Offline HotRod

• Show only replies by HotRod
« Reply #127 on: August 17, 2011, 08:35:26 PM »
Quote from: jorkany;654112
From statements the Friedens have made in the past, unless they were lying. At least they haven't gotten to the point where they say they want people to die in a fire, like Rigo.

Edit: And like TMHG mentioned, actions. This Timberwolf browser is a good example - the Friedens don't plan to make it open source, and I'm sure they would be the first to say "We did something and you didn't so you don't deserve it, port it yourself". Meanwhile you've got people like Fab, kase1, and Karlos who actually do write code across platforms. Where do you think the split in the communities comes from? Primarily from the Friedens and Hyperion. I never see the AROS, MOS and Amiga guys arguing about each other, it's always OS4 vs. Everybody else - and it's all down to the crappy attitudes of the gang at Hyperion. Take off the blinders.

Talking crap behind someones back is being a pathetic coward and it doesn't matter how you look at it, that's what you are when you lower yourself to that level. It doesn't matter what they've done, who got the right to act like a jerk and at the same time point fingers at others? Grow up and stop acting like a jealous little child. If you want to downtalk them send them an e-mail and do it like a man. At least they got a chanse to defend themselfes, not that I think that they will care.

Offline takemehomegrandma

• Show only replies by takemehomegrandma
« Reply #128 on: August 17, 2011, 08:46:19 PM »
Quote from: AmigaNG;655078
Sorry, remind me what camp are you from? :) and takemehomegrandma with his blue butterfly avatar

What's the problem?
MorphOS is Amiga done right! :)

Offline stevieu

• Show only replies by stevieu
    • http://myspace.com/stevieu83
« Reply #129 on: August 17, 2011, 08:59:51 PM »
Yawn.

Yet again, a thread (which should generally be positive and contain *constructive* criticism) is turned into a whining egotistical biatch fest.

Yadda yadda yadda.

Oh well, nothing new there. :)

Steve

Offline Hattig

• Show only replies by Hattig
« Reply #130 on: August 17, 2011, 09:05:40 PM »
So is this thread going to get locked for being a total waste of time because of the trolls and ungrateful want-it-alls?

Offline billt

• Show only replies by billt
    • http://www.billtoner.net
« Reply #131 on: August 17, 2011, 09:25:04 PM »
Quote from: bernd_afa;655098
""""

"""""

Eh? From what I see at the amigabounty website describing the Timberwolf project:
The version to be ported is the most recent 4.0 version including the latest stability fixes. At the time of writing this, the most recent 4.0 version is 4.0.1. Any subsequent stability fix will be applied.

Later versions of Firefox (4.1 and beyond) are not covered by the bounty.

Yea, it's not the latest Firefox for mainstream platforms anymore. But I don't know where you get your 3.6 from. Oh, and,    Last update:20110430 07:59

but with very small programming knowledge can see that its a bad port, when a working Port can not easy update to newest Version.
normaly once a OS is support, newer version of such a platform portable Software as firefox can compile in newest version by a user with little programming and compiler knowledge.

They never said they would not do continuous updates due to horrendous effort. Maybe they just don't want to guarantee the time for all future updates being tied to this particular bounty. From what I understand of things, the 5 and 6 updates are not really tremendous changes compared to 4. They decided to go 5 instead of 4.n and 6 instead of 4.(n+1) etc. now, and no longer reserve major numbers for truly large changes to the program. I wouldn't expect an update from 4.01 to 6 to be a tremendous effort. If they're able to make 4 at all, then surely they would be capable coders to make 5 and 6 from that. Where has anyone said that the version limit on the bounty as had some time in the past been described in your quote, or as is currently from my quote, been linked to your suggestion that "not easy update to newest version"?
Bill T
All Glory to the Hypnotoad!

Offline magnetic

• Show only replies by magnetic
« Reply #132 on: August 17, 2011, 09:33:41 PM »
Well I was always under the belief that Freidens should have stayed with FF 3.x and got that into a usable productive beta state.  However, FF4 has way more features and should be cool (if it ever gets out of an "alpha" state as Piru said) That being said its also much more bloated resource wise....

As far as what some other tosser said throwing my name around about bashing OS4. I care just as much for OS4 efforts as anything. I actually want to run os4 on my peg2, but could see no real reason to until lately. And even better now, if I purchase it when update 3 comes out i'm going to have spend another $150 us when 4.2 comes out?? wtf?
bPlan Pegasos2 G4@1ghz
Quad Boot:Reg. MorphOS | OS4.1 U4 |Ubuntu GNU-Linux | MacOS X

Amiga 2000 Rom Switcher w/ 3.1 + 1.3 | HardFrame SCSI | CBM Ram board| A Squared LIVE! 2000 | Vlab Motion | Firecracker 24 gfx

Commodore CDTV: 68010 | ECS | 9mb Ram | SCSI -TV | 3.9 Rom | Developer EPROMs

Offline Derfs

• Show only replies by Derfs
« Reply #133 on: August 17, 2011, 10:50:21 PM »
Quote from: magnetic;655114
As far as what some other tosser said throwing my name around about bashing OS4. I care just as much for OS4 efforts as anything. I actually want to run os4 on my peg2, but could see no real reason to until lately. And even better now, if I purchase it when update 3 comes out i'm going to have spend another $150 us when 4.2 comes out?? wtf?

AOS4.1 came out in 2008, AOS4.1 for peg2 came out in 2009, and if AOS4.2 comes out in 2012 thats minimum 3 years. how long do you expect them to wait?

if you are in that much doubt if you should buy it, then dont, and wait for 4.2.

Offline utri007

« Reply #134 on: August 17, 2011, 11:01:59 PM »
I proven many times that MorphOs users are actually more interested AOs4 than their own system.

This thread is good example when we compare it this http://www.amiga.org/forums/showthread.php?t=58734

True fan writes something like that:

Piru grow up. The so called Frieden brothers and hyperion are ****ing gods and nobody should say anything bad about them or what they do. Your just ****ing jealous you are not a coding god like these people. I would happily have one of the Frieden brothers in my mouth and the other in my arse whilst wearing an AOS4 t-shirt. I wouldn't even boot your crappy OS on my machine.  

If I do understand this right, he wants to have something to his arse and mouth and woun't boot Pirus's Os? Piru is skilled coder but MoronOs isn't his product.

Their desperate feelings are understable, after thei released MOs to apple's products they have get 3 new users. This also proves that Hyperion's choise to get their own custom hardware is good choise.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 11:19:40 PM by utri007 »
ACube Sam 440ep Flex 800mhz, 1gb ram and 240gb hd and OS4.1FE
A1200 Micronic tower, OS3.9, Apollo 060 66mhz, xPert Merlin, Delfina Lite and Micronic Scandy, 500Gb hd, 66mb ram, DVD-burner and WLAN.
A1200 desktop, OS3.9, Blizzard 060 66mhz, 66mb ram, Ide Fix Express with 160Gb HD and WLAN
A500 OS2.1, GVP+HD8 with 4mb ram, 1mb chip ram and 4gb HD
Commodore CDTV KS3.1, 1mb chip, 4mb fast ram and IDE HD