Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: $77 Amiga one or SAM  (Read 4379 times)

Description:

Offline mongo

• Show only replies by mongo
Re: $77 Amiga one or SAM
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2010, 03:29:59 PM »
Quote from: Fingers;536897

At the risk of incurring many nasty replies, a Chinese firm SHOULD make a SAM copy & even install illegal UBOOT.
PZ.

U-Boot is GPL. Anyone can use it.

Offline koshman

• Show only replies by koshman
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2010, 03:31:44 PM »
Because how many tens of thousands of those Dreamboxes were produced? And how many similar products use the same mainboard? Compare that to the number of Sam systems produced...

I don't get this "argument". What's so special about SAM? Why couldn't it be built on a mass produced mobo? Because we need unique "Amiga HW"? Oh, please...
- Radim

A600 - 68020/33, 10MB RAM, 3.1, 2GB SD

Offline arnljot

« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2010, 03:39:01 PM »
No we don't need a unique board. But we do need something that doesn't have the bios in ugly text mode like most awardBios pc boards do, or similar. Why is it only mac which has survived with a minimal footprint of firmware? grr...

But we do need a mass produced board. That's why I root for A-EON and ACube and hope they manage to sell as many boards as possible to any kind of use, not only amiga use.
A posting a day keeps the sanity away...
http://www.arnljot.com

Offline LoadWB

• Show only replies by LoadWB
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2010, 03:45:50 PM »
Quote from: Fingers;536902
That's a fair point...or is it?

No matter what anyone says, there is a fairly decent market out there for new Amiga hardware & I honestly think that a 50% reduction in retail price would probably bring a much larger percentage in sales numbers to Acube.

Please provide numbers and definitions to support this.

Offline koshman

• Show only replies by koshman
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2010, 03:50:38 PM »
He said that he thinks...
- Radim

A600 - 68020/33, 10MB RAM, 3.1, 2GB SD

Offline Fingers

« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2010, 03:51:32 PM »
Quote from: LoadWB;536910
Please provide numbers and definitions to support this.

Did I not state this to be my own personal opinion? Something *exactly* like this?
"I honestly think"

Remember me saying this?
"However, without knowing the financial workings of Acube's operations, this may or may not be advantageous."

Now, don't be a newsman & underquote me please...LOL

*EDIT* - Thanks koshman...you obviously can read :)

PZ.

Offline Crom00Topic starter

• Show only replies by Crom00
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2010, 04:09:28 PM »
Yes Acube can sell twice as many units with a Lower price. But if they can make the same money selling fewer units at a higher price why bother? They're running a business not a charity.

This is the state of the market. Until someone steps in and takes advantage of this situation to prove that they can make and sell units at a lower price...we're stuck with the current offerings.

Now with Hyperion controllng both Hardware and software we have an apple situation. (one outfit controlling hardware and software) This is better than what we've had until now and I hope this turns out to be a success.

The reality is that aynone outside this forum that still remembers the Amiga and has casually followed its plight comes away with a few thoughts...

A) Amiga users walk a fine line between dedication and insanity
B) The Amiga must be cursed

So when you have a brand whose good points are often overshadowed by the perceptions of it's "looney" users and "horiffic bad fortune" that befalls any owner of the Amiga brand.. Well you kind of throw your arms up in the air and say whateva!!!!

I'm just goona see how this plays out.

Offline desiv

• Show only replies by desiv
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2010, 04:10:50 PM »
Quote from: Fingers;536913
Did I not state this to be my own personal opinion? Something *exactly* like this?
"I honestly think"

He was just asking for numbers to back up your statement.

Perhaps if you had said something like:

In a Fingers Inc. poll, 100% of respondents believed that a 50% price reduction would generate an increase in sales.
(Poll has a margin of error of +- 100%)
desiv
:)
Amiga 1200 w/ ACA1230/28 - 4G CF, MAS Player, ext floppy, and 1084S.
Amiga 500 w/ 2M CHIP and 8M FAST RAM, DCTV, AEHD floppy, and 1084S.
Amiga 1000 w/ 4M FAST RAM, DUAL CF hard drives, external floppy.

Offline arnljot

« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2010, 04:23:51 PM »
Quote from: Crom00;536915
Yes Acube can sell twice as many units with a Lower price. But if they can make the same money selling fewer units at a higher price why bother?

If that was the case, they would. It would build their brand and grow their market for the next machine.

I don't know if they've marketed the machine hard enough to Linux PPC fans...

Offline klx300r

• Amiga 1000+AmigaOne X1000
    • Show only replies by klx300r
    • http://mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca/
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2010, 04:28:53 PM »
@ Crom00

buy it and install OS4.1 on it and let us know how it works out :-)
--- www.mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca ---
  -AspireOS.com & Amikit- Amiga for your netbook-
***X1000- I BELIEVE *** :angel:

Offline Fingers

« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2010, 04:31:18 PM »
Crom00, speaking of forums...are you here? http://eab.abime.net/

See you there! :D

PZ.

Offline Crom00Topic starter

• Show only replies by Crom00
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2010, 05:02:37 PM »
Havent posted there in eons... or should I say... A-EONS...lol

Offline quarkx

• Show only replies by quarkx
    • http://www.amigalounge.com
« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2010, 05:21:48 PM »
Its VERY simple. This device was not produced to be an Amiga. MOST hardware designers that make products for the Amiga want their investment back right away, and because it is Amiga, the greed comes through. If the same product WAS designed with the Amiga name, they would have put it out for $800 or something crazy like that.
Look at the Shark PPC, and the Apple Equivalent, the Apple part $33-$55 (last I saw) you can be darn sure, the Amiga on will cost about $300 .
Its simple 90% of the hardware manufactures are just out to make a quick buck on the Amiga community's back. Trust me, people are gaga over the new X1000 NOW, but a year from now, when people see what a rip off they will charge for it, only a few hundred will sell, and it will fade into memory.
I have Amiga stuff for sale at http://amigalounge.com. You can follow my builds there also.

Offline arnljot

« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2010, 05:32:53 PM »
@quarkx

This pushes my buttons :-)

If the Shark was a Amiga product. Even if it was the same hardware as the Sonnet Cresendo. Do you think it's elves in santas shop who code drivers and software for free?

A coder in Europe can cost as much as €50.000, some are cheaper and some are way more expensive. This guy needs his pay, the hardware engineer who works in any given amiga company also needs his pay. etc etc. And the total cost is then to be recouped through a few hundres or even a few thousand units sold.

I hardly think Jens, Chris or Michael are rubbing their hands and lighting sigars with $100 bills from Amiga hardware sales. The same goes for A-Cube too.

It's simply the scale of things in Amiga land which makes it tough.

Offline quarkx

• Show only replies by quarkx
    • http://www.amigalounge.com
« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2010, 06:11:24 PM »
Quote from: arnljot;536934
@quarkx

This pushes my buttons :-)

It's simply the scale of things in Amiga land which makes it tough.

This is my point, like I have said before, Hardware for other platforms (like C=64 for example) is pennies on the dollar compared to (NEW) Amiga hardware.
A typical example is NIC's, you can get a new NIC for a C64 for about $65. Now take an Amiga big box Nic and all it is a a $10 PCI NIC, with a Zorro Adaptor, and lets charge oh $135 for it. It has been out for years now, and the price has not dropped 1 red cent.
 You can justify it all you want by using excuses such as codding costs, PCB board costs, etc, but the simple facts are that just because it is AMIGA stuff, the prices they charge are stupid crazy. I guess they have bainwashed Amiga users into this for so long, people are buying into it without question.
I see companies are even charging for driver CD'S to registered users of the hardware, and not just a few bucks -but like $35-$40, just to get the drivers. You can't tell me that these companies are NOT taking clear advantage of Amiga Customers. You can jump up and down and make excuses all you want, but if you look at the big picture, you will see the truth.
I have Amiga stuff for sale at http://amigalounge.com. You can follow my builds there also.

Offline Crumb

• Show only replies by Crumb
    • http://cuaz.sourceforge.net
« Reply #29 from previous page: January 07, 2010, 07:18:41 PM »
Why is it only mac which has survived with a minimal footprint of firmware? grr...

Mac's firmware is butt-ugly. SmartFirmware is not smart but it runs rings around Apple implementation in terms of user friendliness
The only spanish amiga news web page/club: Club de Usuarios de Amiga de Zaragoza (CUAZ)