Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Commodore without Mehdi Ali  (Read 15278 times)

Description:

Offline freqmax

• Show only replies by freqmax
Re: Commodore without Mehdi Ali
« Reply #44 from previous page: September 18, 2011, 09:08:34 PM »
Quote from: Matteus;659855
Yeah, the 68020 was available in the mid 80s, they should have made an Amiga with it (12, 16, 20Mhz) around 88-90. :idea: I guess even the less attractive 68EC020 was out by then.

I think the price would make it fail.

Quote from: Matteus;659861
Yeah, makes me think of that video on Youtube where good ol' Rob Hubbard talks about that his music for a game, back in the early to mid 80s, was only 1k long or so. Compared to the amount of RAM we have now. :roflmao:

What you lack in IQ you have to compensate with RAM and MHz hehe.

Guess any new platform with the philosophy to get the best hardware for a given price  has to focus on technically aware people and not the surrounding masses. Ferraris are not for everyone.

The last successes has been in ipod - music, iphone - mobility, ipad - mobile internet. Maybe this can hint on what's the next thing the market will love?

Offline Rob

« Reply #45 on: September 18, 2011, 09:49:47 PM »
Quote from: restore2003;40926
This has probably been discussed before, but what the heck  ;-)

Where would Amiga been today if Commodore did not hire Mehdi Ali as their Chief, and did not cancel the AAA chipset?

:-?

I haven't read the other posts but here's what I understand

Irving Gould wasn't prepared to do the hard work required to make Commodore successful but didn't like the idea of other people getting the credit for Commodore's successes.

Thomas Rattigan got pushed out after he turned Commodore around.  If it wasn't Mehdi Ali ruining Commodore it would have been someone else just like him that didn't understand the business.

Offline freqmax

• Show only replies by freqmax
« Reply #46 on: September 19, 2011, 01:24:53 AM »
So ultimatly Irving is to blame?

Offline pwermonger

• Show only replies by pwermonger
« Reply #47 on: September 19, 2011, 06:14:15 AM »
Tough to say where Amiga would be if only one of the line of people who caused it to fail hadn't been there.

Amiga survived as long as it did because it was so far ahead, but out of the gate it already stagnated with no real advance from 1000, 500/2000 to 3000, a 5 year span of time. While Amiga was staying to mostly the same capabilities both the Windows PCs and Macs were slowly and steadily gaining capabilities and was a continuation of the 'rudderless' careening around that started at Commodore after the 64.

At best if all things had been improved including no Medhi Ali, Amiga now would be in the same state as the Mac where its parent company could only really sustain itself by coming up with products in areas where the clone market isn't. Windows didn't win by being better than anything, it won by being easily and cheaply able to be purchased by a wider market and rode the wave of hardware produced by many manufacturers into businesses and homes.