Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: What games are you playing?  (Read 5904 times)

Description:

Offline CritAnime

• Previous Life Time Member
    • Show all replies
Re: What games are you playing?
« on: November 25, 2012, 09:51:39 PM »
Got Knightmare out of it's box for the first time in what seemed like years. Only to remember I don't have a floppy drive any more lol. Oh well atleast there are ADF's lol.

Kind of enjoyed playing it. I never played the Amiga version until recently. I played the c64 version though.

Offline CritAnime

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2012, 05:57:17 AM »
Quote from: som99;716384
Well I used to play Fallout 3 & NV and Skyrim on PS3, but after you played a lot like I have and your save file gets to big the PS3 systems keep freezing/lagging and that's not acceptable. My Fallout 3 character has nearly everything done and all unique items but the game crash withing 10 mins of playing now on such a big save. Not OK

Same for Skyrim, start freezing/lagging now when my save is large and ive played a lot also since no DLC is out for PS3 and skyrim I had to drop the PS3 system for new RPGs in favour for flawless PC play.

So had to switch from PS3 to PC on bethesda RPG's, sadly enough since I liked to play using a gamepad on my TV.

So im playing new games mostly on PC now, understandable when you have spent near 1k hours on the fallout and elder scrolls games on PS3 and get let down by not beeing able to play when you get far in.

bethesda's PS3 support has always been crap. I remember Fallout 3 having a glitch that would insta crash it near the brotherhood of steel's main compound. By simply walking in a cartain direction it would crash the game. this was fixed on the xbox version within a week. The PS3 version it had taken them nearly 3 whole weeks. Sucks.

back on the Amiga i have been getting Perihelion going again. However I can not remember all the rune codes for the spells. There is a large list of codes for spells. I had em on paper but it's missing. :huh:

Offline CritAnime

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2012, 11:34:38 PM »
Its an unfortunate part of retro gaming that you will find the magnetic media eventually gives up the ghost. So many disks have become lost due to general use. Even with the most stringent of precautions disketts do eventually die.

Offline CritAnime

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2012, 11:52:11 PM »
Quote from: takemehomegrandma;716999
My PS3 is a really old 40GB one, and I played through Fallout 3 from beginning to the end at least 3 times (1 good, 1 evil and 1 neutral, earning all those trophies for different levels), and I also bought the "game of the year" edition with all the add-on contents, which I also played through, and while there indeed was a few sporadic crashes during all that time of game play, I wouldn't call it "crap" in any way. Well, except that add-on (don't remember its name) where you took a river boat to that costal town/swamp area. That one crashed badly. OK, the first Fallout 3 version I had (an early version) didn't even get through the classroom part in the intro mission, but a DL fix remedied that problem!

:)

That was my point. the first version of Fallout 3, I had the lunch tin special edition, was full of insta crashing bugs. The classroom been a prime example along with the brotherhood of steel main compound. So much so I gave it up and got the xbox version because they were patching that version quicker. However when the game of the year edition came out I got it for the playstation and it was all pretty much fixed. Excpet for Point Lookout, the mod you recall takemehomegrandma, which was glitchy. But even the xbox version was glitchy. :destroy:

for some reason it just seems to take them longer to fix things on the PS3 than it does the xbox in general. In fact why does it seem to be the norm to release very buggy games anyway.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 11:55:50 PM by CritAnime »

Offline CritAnime

• Show all replies
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2012, 12:35:02 AM »
Quote from: takemehomegrandma;717002
True. :(

And even if you back up the disks or DL new images from the many online libraries, it can be a problem to acquire new physical floppies. 3.5" is walking in the footsteps of 5 1/4" in this regard. Can't remember when I last bought a new floppy. It's a dead medium.

But there are some solutions from companies like induvidual computer (thinking of their C64 products with memory cards etc).

And then there are emulators of course.

I agree. Floppies slowly dying out. You can still buy them but I decided it wasn't worth the hassle any more. thats why I bought the HxC and did away with a physical drive. Same with the HDD it was just easier to work with a CF HDD then mess around with a clunky physical drive. To be honest the last few games I bought were defective and I ended up getting more use out of the manual than the disk.

it's not just magnetic mediums that are dying out. As reliable as cartridges are they too are dying out. All it takes is for some moisture to get in, for corded contacts or even a electrical fault in the system (My snes popped it's pico fuse ruining a copy of Desert strike) and the cart is gone. CD's and DVD's can only need one scratch and they are dead too.

Thats why I thankful for preservation projects that work to maintain healthy images of stuff.

Quote from: takemehomegrandma;717003
I think there is a lot of "politics" (or "business"/"sponsorship" if you like) involved. There are several cases where Xbox "mysteriously" got a lot higher priority at some game publishers.

GTA 4 is a prime example; when this much anticipated new version of the once *PS only* series of games was first announced, it was suddenly rumored that it wouldn't be released for PS3 at all, but in reality it *was* released, but with a few months delay.

Why, you ask?

Because of a $50,000,000 MS deal?

Not realistic, some might say. Well, look at the Commercial Success it had, setting at least two new world records in this regard (the best single day sales, and the best 7 days sales).

The tactical/strategic benefit MS/Xbox got from this single (and rather cheap) $50 million deal is probably enormous.

I agree. There is obviously a lot of politics going on with these things. I read Games TM and the amount of stuff that you read is shocking about what goes on in the games industry. in the end it's the consumer that gets stiffed.

On a lighter note I have been enjoying Perihelion. I found a guide that contained all the glyph codes for the spells in the game. I have also been enjoying a much smoother gameplay experience with Frontier Elite II with the 1200. So much space and so little time to pirate.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2012, 12:39:21 AM by CritAnime »