Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Color me suprised!  (Read 2601 times)

Description:

Offline Matt_HTopic starter

Color me suprised!
« on: January 01, 2014, 11:10:19 PM »
When the new Mac Pro was announced, I was ranting here about how it would be unexpandable and impossible to upgrade and Apple proprietary blah blah blah. Imagine my surprise when the teardown revealed mostly the opposite. I still think the lack of internal drive bays and slot(s) is ridiculous, but the value for money appears better than I expected.

Another element of interest is that the system uses megaray connectors, just like on the old PPC Macs and our own AmigaOne XEs. I can't imagine there's any electrical compatibility, but I thought the use of the same physical connector was noteworthy.

Re: Color me suprised!
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2014, 01:26:11 AM »
Quote from: mingle;755960
Is it a coffee percolator or one of those mini waste-paper bins you put on you desk? :-)

Sure looks like it, doesn't it? In 10-15 years when these things are worthless as computing devices I bet we'll see some interesting art projects made out of the cases :)

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2014, 09:14:46 PM »
@ persia

That picture illustrates my point about lack of internal expansion perfectly! Thanks for sharing :)

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2014, 09:53:10 PM »
Quote from: nicholas;756052
To be fair to Apple, an external cage would solve that rats nest of wires and boxes problem.

Unfortunately, I don't see anyone manufacturing any Thunderbolt-interface mini-towers with PCI-E slots and drive bays...