Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Hyperion vs Cloanto  (Read 48935 times)

Description:

Offline Minuous

Re: Hyperion vs Cloanto
« on: September 30, 2018, 03:42:48 PM »
@magnetic:

I don't see how that is the case, one company has written OS4 and improved OS3.1, the other is a parasite company that sells a free emulator.

Hyperion seem to have a stronger legal case which is fortunate because if they lost it would be disastrous for the Amiga community, most likely the end of any further development of AmigaOS.

Offline Minuous

« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2018, 04:26:52 PM »
@SpeedGeek:

I know the case is not about OS4. But if Cloanto win all the damages they are seeking it would surely bankrupt Hyperion. And an extra year of uncertainty hanging over the situation doesn't help the Amiga market either.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2018, 04:30:13 PM by Minuous »

Offline Minuous

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2018, 05:42:37 PM »
@kolla:

Well, Cloanto have no development costs, as they don't write the software they are selling. So it is hardly surprising if they are more profitable. Cloanto leaving the market would make no real difference as they haven't done any significant Amiga development for over 20 years, and I have seen nothing to indicate that any is intended.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2018, 05:45:57 PM by Minuous »

Offline Minuous

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2018, 12:42:01 PM »
There was never any need to remove parts of OS3.9 and turn it into crippleware; no legal action was ever brought against H&P, just Cloanto's FUD.

Anyway I don't know what their latest excuse is since those patents are expired anyway and yet OS3.X is still crippled.

Offline Minuous

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2018, 01:59:31 PM »
@kolla:

I'm not buying it every year just to see if it is still crap. I would not give a cent to those parasites.

If you read the link https://www.amigaforever.com/kb/15-107 which has already been posted in this thread, you can see Cloanto's own list of what is missing.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2018, 02:01:17 PM by Minuous »