Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: New Computer Movie  (Read 1255 times)

Description:

Offline SysAdminTopic starter

• News posting Auto Agent
    • Show only replies by SysAdmin
    • http://www.a-eon.com
New Computer Movie
« on: July 31, 2013, 11:05:19 PM »
I know many here are not Steve Jobs fans.  Steve Jobs was shown the original prototype for the first Amiga and said there was "too much hardware" and he took a pass. He was in the midst of work on the Macintosh at the time and was reportedly worried that the Amiga would surpass his plans. Can you imagine what the Amiga would have become if someone like Jobs was in charge of it? The Amiga had great visionaries that created it like RJ Mical and Jay miner but it didn't have  a Jobs type character to promote it. It only had the simi-worthless Commodore management/marketing department.

Anyway the new movie about Steve Jobs is looking like it might be good.

http://jobsthefilm.com/

I'm betting the Amiga won't even get a mention in this movie at all. History is written by the winners.
Posts on this account before August 4th, 2012 don\'t belong to me.

Offline mikrucio

• Party Mix \'87
    • Show only replies by mikrucio
Re: New Computer Movie
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2013, 11:16:42 PM »
Bah ill pass.

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2013, 11:24:35 PM »
Like we needed more iCult veneration and mythmaking. Feh. Woz was the real genius.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline Gulliver

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2013, 01:14:01 AM »
Quote from: commodorejohn;743295
Like we needed more iCult veneration and mythmaking. Feh. Woz was the real genius.

I cant agree more. Jobs was just an agressive and successful manager, but not much more than that. The real genius was Woz.

Offline Duce

• Off to greener pastures
    • Show only replies by Duce
    • http://amigabbs.blogspot.com/
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2013, 01:16:49 AM »
Better off watching Pirates of Silicon Valley.  While no doubts there's a lot of embellishment in it as well, it's a fairly good film.  Same goes for Cringely's PBS Documentary, Triumph of the Nerds:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFL9IyJ_qHk

Or just read iWoz - it's more entertaining and informative than the Jobs book if you're into Apple history.

Some of Woz's comments on this new movie aren't too kind:

http://gizmodo.com/5978777/woz-says-kutchers-steve-jobs-movie-scene-never-happened
« Last Edit: August 01, 2013, 01:27:00 AM by Duce »

Offline agami

• Show only replies by agami
    • Twitter
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2013, 02:28:02 AM »
It's a biopic, not a documentary. The storyteller can take certain creative liberties and choose his or her own palette to colour the tale.

I have a tremendous amount of respect for an engineer of Woz's calibre, we had our own uber geeks in the Amiga hardware and software engineering teams so we recognise the skills. But Woz would achieve far less at HP or any other place he may have moved on from there. We know it wouldn't have worked out at Commodore.

It may not be apt to label Steve Jobs as a sales/marketing genius, but he was more often than not a visionary with some moments of sheer brilliance thrown into the mix, but it was his arrogance and the conviction of his own beliefs that made the difference.

It's actually better to read an impartial view in Malcolm Gladwell's 'Outliers' where you find that neither Steve on his own would have made an impact. A Jobs like personality was definitely missing from the Amiga equation. In many ways it was doomed the second a large corporate machine bought it out.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2013, 02:30:08 AM by agami »
---------------AGA Collection---------------
1) Amiga A4000 040 40MHz, Mediator PCI, Voodoo 3 3000, Creative PCI128, Fast Ethernet, Indivision AGA Mk2 CR, DVD/CD-RW, OS 3.9 BB2
2) Amiga A1200 040 25MHz, Indivision AGA Mk2 CR, IDEfix, PCMCIA WiFi, slim slot load DVD/CD-RW, OS 3.9 BB2
3) Amiga CD32 + SX1, OS 3.1

Offline commodorejohn

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2013, 02:43:06 AM »
Quote from: agami;743312
It's a biopic, not a documentary. The storyteller can take certain creative liberties and choose his or her own palette to colour the tale.
As Woz says in that article, though, there's a big difference between taking liberties for the sake of storytelling and being entirely untrue to the characters. It doesn't matter if I really think Ghandi would've been more interesting if he countered oppression with Sagat's moves from Street Fighter, it would still be dishonest of me to portray my version as representative of the real person.
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline Aussiholden

• Show only replies by Aussiholden
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2013, 03:30:11 AM »
If any of the facts are true about Jobs in the movie " Pirates of Silicon Valley ", then I think the Amiga boys would of gone way worse than what they admitted they did in the Amiga Documentary " The Deathbed Vigil "

Offline Drummerboy

• Show only replies by Drummerboy
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2013, 03:40:44 AM »
I never was a Steve Jobs or Apple fan, but always is interesting this kind of things.

I read any recent article where The Woz was talking about this movie and he said something, Steve Jobs not was the Hero as want show in this movie.
Amiga 1000, 500, 600, 2000, 1200, 4000...

C= VIC 20 / 64 /SX64/ 128

Atari 600XL (SIC Cartdridge)
Atari 800XL (SIO2SD unit)

Jay Miner`s Atari 2600 - Wood front -

\\"Amiga, this Computer have a Own Live\\"--\\"Silence When the Drums are Talking\\".... DrummerBoy

Offline commodorejohn

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2013, 04:18:19 AM »
Quote from: Drummerboy;743315
I read any recent article where The Woz was talking about this movie and he said something, Steve Jobs not was the Hero as want show in this movie.
Shhh! Don't tell the iCult!

Offline bbond007

• Show only replies by bbond007
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2013, 05:29:38 AM »
to get into role, emulating Steve Jobs stupid diet landed Ashton Kutcher in the hospital as he nearly exploded his pancreas.

Offline kamelito

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2013, 07:41:22 AM »
Woz was the genius engineer behind the Apple I and II but without Jobs he would have probably have stayed at HP.
Jobs was a genius too but not in engineering but he knows enough about that to deliver great products.

Kamelito