Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Rumble in the Jungle 2002  (Read 4030 times)

Description:

Offline MarkTime

• Show only replies by MarkTime
    • http://www.tanooshka.com
Re: Rumble in the Jungle 2002
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2002, 03:50:37 PM »
MorphOS runs on classic Amiga hardware.  That makes it related.  Sure you can say Linux does too, and in that respect Linux is too.

But the fact is, MorphOS has the interest of part of this community in a way Linux does not, and even some Amiga developers are on board.

It'll go away eventually if AmigaOS delivers, and if AmigaOS does not, then thank goodness for MorphOS.

Personally, I want Amiga to deliver, lets hope they do....who in their right mind would assume they will after all that has happend the past 5 years though.

Offline Alkemyst

• Show only replies by Alkemyst
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2002, 07:11:21 PM »
"It'll go away eventually if AmigaOS delivers, and if AmigaOS does not, then thank goodness for MorphOS."

nope if AOS4 & UP does not deliver im going PowerMac.

as i see no road map from Mos that offers anything that intrests me at all. & is owned by ppl who have done nothing for me nore do i trust them.

i have never had any Phase5 products.

& if the name Offical OS with history cant make it in the amiga way of things, i cant see how
MOS could.

MOS would have to do things another way if the AOS does not work out, cos if  just trys to do things the same way it would suffer the same fait.

& i like the amigaway of things & if that what brings it down then so be it
i will not put up with something else by unknows out side of the amiga commun.

& i dont trust Amiga.inc that much atm either but they are not making the Aone or Aos4 the ppl doing that work i do trust.

eyetech & hyperion & i cant see or hear of any amiga user who has been let down by hyperion in the past & from what i have seen hyperion know how to write very efficent code.

as they has gotten things to run on amiga HW that most would of thought could of never been done.

& game coding is a good way to prove your coding skills.

as there is so much going on at  the same time & if its coded bad it chugs along.

sound,AI,3D gfx,control input. all happening at the same time .

i have yet to see hyperion release a bad product so cut them some slack, unlike alot of stuff from
ppl within the MOS crew.

PowerTower A1200,060/80Mhz,Heatsink&Fan,66MBRam,PowerFlyerGold,50xCDRomdrive,250Zip,2.1GB&34GB HD,internal Scandoubler & FF,19"Monitor,Mediator,Voodoo3-3000,PaceSolo 56k ,PortJnr2,ZEKeys-XS,SMON ,Os3.9
PowerTower A1200,060/80Mhz,Heatsink&Fan,66MBRam,PowerFlyerGold,50xCDRomdrive,250Zip,2.1GB&34GB HD,internal Scandoubler & FF,19\\"Monitor,Mediator,Voodoo3-3000,PaceSolo 56k ,PortJnr2,ZEKeys-XS,SMON ,Os3.9

Offline kostas

• Show only replies by kostas
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2002, 09:45:58 PM »
I totally agree with createcoms. I don't intent to fight, but their behavior sucks.

Kostas
Kostas

Offline Wilse

« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2002, 10:29:41 PM »
Hi Createcoms,

I'm pretty much in the same boat as Kenny here:

> Well if Im so misdirected please explain to my
> simple mind how MorphOS is 'Amiga-Related'.

Someone will no doubt correct me if I'm wrong here but this is how I remember it:
A couple of years ago (can't remember exactly) Amiga Active's front cover featured MorphOS. At that time it was being touted as the next gen. Amiga OS, as there were no plans for OS4.
It was 100% Amiga related at that time. (& I was very interested in it)
Then AOS4 is announced (which I was even more interested in) & suddenly MorphOS is not Amiga related?
Come on.....
Don't get me wrong, I'm buying an A1+OS4(got my coupon) but maybe I'll buy MorphOS too. I'll have to wait & see how it shapes up.
Either way, it's definitely Amiga related & was even being considered *as* OS4 at one time.

Cheers,
Robert

Offline seer

• Show only replies by seer
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2002, 10:32:55 PM »
I totally agree with createcoms. I don't intent to fight, but their behavior sucks.

Eh, Createcoms never mentioned the behavior, just pointed out he doesn't think MOS has anything to do with the Amiga..  The behavior of MOS/Amiga/bPlan/Hyperion/erc people has nothing to do with the "fact" if something is or isn't Amiga related.
~
Everything you say will be misquoted and used against you.
~

Offline seer

• Show only replies by seer
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2002, 10:39:05 PM »
It was 100% Amiga related at that time. (& I was very interested in it)
Then AOS4 is announced (which I was even more interested in) & suddenly MorphOS is not Amiga related?

Eh, no, when AmigaInc was bought for the "I don't know how many times it has been sold", to the current owners, MOS decided they were a different OS that happens to have a Amiga OS emulation build in.. (maybe not officialy, but that's is how it seems these days) and the GUI is Amiga like (there are other OSes in developmed (alive and dead, Atheoslooked promising, the main site www.atheos.cx is down tho) that also have (or had) an Amigalike GUI...
~
Everything you say will be misquoted and used against you.
~

Offline Mikey_CTopic starter

• Show only replies by Mikey_C
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2002, 11:16:35 PM »
Oops! Sorry Guys, the URL should indeed have been http://www.seal-amiga.co.uk/woase.

BTW. http://www.forematt.co.uk now has a link banner to buy tickets on the site (Thanks John)

Mikey C
YNWA!

Offline createcoms

• Show only replies by createcoms
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2002, 11:51:45 PM »
Either way, it's definitely Amiga related & was even being considered *as* OS4 at one time.

Right, it's related as far as Apples are, Microsoft is and basically everything in the computer world.  It does however, hold no relevance to the consumer of Amiga products because it isnt the AmigaOS nor is it a product that uses AmigaOS.

And you are wrong with the consideration.  MOS guys were offered a position with the OS4 team but rejected it because they were quite happy with their rebellious amigawannabe MOS system.  At no stage was MOS ever considered for the future AOS.

Offline Coder

• Show only replies by Coder
    • http://www.amiga.nl
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2002, 12:12:18 AM »
@The_Editor

I've told her that Thurrock (Lakeside) is down near there !! So she can get some retail therapy too !!

Go for a romantic weekend and sneak out sometimes. But if you get caught it will be hell.

Coder
Check it out - I found the ass-end!

Offline Kronos

• Resident blue troll
    • Show only replies by Kronos
    • http://www.SteamDraw.de
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2002, 02:40:56 AM »
MOS guys were offered a position with the OS4 team but rejected it because they were quite happy with their rebellious amigawannabe MOS system. At no stage was MOS ever considered for the future AOS.

You should really check your sources !!

Back in early 01 when AInc had their "earthquake" MOS was
seen as the best/easiest way to get OS4 offground and a
deal was agreed. All was fine until a well-known lawyer jumped in
and chamged the contracts (has been admitted by Ben himself).

AFAIK Ben demanded that CGX would be replaced with P96 (why ??)
and that wider HW-support was promised.

Nothing really important, but when that wasn't agreed on the
contract suddenly changed to a point where AInc would gain full
control over MOS (including sources) without giving anything
substantial back.
1. Make an announcment.
2. Wait a while.
3. Check if it can actually be done.
4. Wait for someone else to do it.
5. Start working on it while giving out hillarious progress-reports.
6. Deny that you have ever announced it
7. Blame someone else

Offline KennyR

• Show only replies by KennyR
    • http://wrongpla.net
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2002, 04:01:41 AM »
Fact: MOS looks and feels like an Amiga. Most people using it would not be aware of any difference between it and a classic Amiga, except speed and some small trade-ins for legacy compatibility for new features. It feels more like a real Amiga than UAE does. It is a native AmigaOS, just without the Amiga sticker slapped on the front. I don't think MOS is the route for me, but whether I like MOS or not, I refuse to lie about it.

Have you ever actually *tried* MOS? If not, your whole argument is completely meaningless, in the same way the arguments of people who have never used a real Amiga for many years are meaningless against OS4 and the AmigaONE.

Offline bhoggett

• Show only replies by bhoggett
    • http://www.midnightmu.com
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2002, 06:47:41 AM »
@Kronos

I think it fair to remark that the story, though an entertaining one, is merely a carefully filtered version of the "truth".

The reality is probably that neither side were really prepared to relinquish enough control or give the other side enough to make the deal work. Essentially both sides will have wanted "something for nothing".

Portraying Amiga Inc as a bunch of beggars who were manipulated by the evil Ben Hermans into breaking a deal with the reasonable and generous Ralph Schmidt is pretty laughable.
Bill Hoggett

Offline kostas

• Show only replies by kostas
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2002, 08:21:26 AM »
@seer
Eh, Createcoms never mentioned the behavior, just pointed out he doesn't think MOS has anything to do with the Amiga.. The behavior of MOS/Amiga/bPlan/Hyperion/erc people has nothing to do with the "fact" if something is or isn't Amiga related.

I agree with Createcoms with the things he wrote. Furthermore, I would like to add that their behavior sucks.

Sorry I was not clear enough from the first post Seer.

Kostas
Kostas

Offline KennyR

• Show only replies by KennyR
    • http://wrongpla.net
« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2002, 11:04:34 AM »
For my part I refuse point-blank to defend either AInc or bplan. They both have had, and still do have, personal agendas which not only make it impossible for them ever to see eye to eye again, but I'm pretty sure they aren't in either my nor the Amiga's best interests.

Let 'em fight it out with hardware and software, not words.

Offline Kronos

• Resident blue troll
    • Show only replies by Kronos
    • http://www.SteamDraw.de
« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2002, 11:42:58 AM »
@Kenny

:-x  :-x  :-x  Anotherone lost  :-x  :-x  :-x

Seems I'm soon gone be out of people to disagree with  :-P

Thats something I always demanded, even back in the glory
W3D/Amithlon-battle (a harmless joke/comment was enough to
ignite that bomb  :-( )
1. Make an announcment.
2. Wait a while.
3. Check if it can actually be done.
4. Wait for someone else to do it.
5. Start working on it while giving out hillarious progress-reports.
6. Deny that you have ever announced it
7. Blame someone else

Offline createcoms

• Show only replies by createcoms
« Reply #29 from previous page: September 14, 2002, 01:58:13 PM »
You should really check your sources !!

You do realise that the above is the most common, indirect way of calling someone a liar.

I think the offense caused would be obvious this far down this post.  If not then too bad, body language is the only way left.