Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Network: Win98 to WinXP to AmigaOS to Linux - HELP  (Read 1093 times)

Description:

Offline Oldsmobile_MikeTopic starter

Network: Win98 to WinXP to AmigaOS to Linux - HELP
« on: June 22, 2003, 01:53:24 AM »
Hi there,

Hopefully posting this in the right forum, and that somebody here can help me 'cause my home network setup I'm trying to put together is a heck of a mess!   :-P

First I've got 3 machines right now that I'm trying to put together, one XP, one 98, and one A1200 with 3.1.  (the Linux machine I'll add later.)  Before I even get to the A1200, for which I've already got a Linksys EC2T working (but no Samba, etc., yet) I'm stuck with the two windows machines.  They're networked, and sharing files, all via Linksys hardware, but I can't get them to share the internet connection - my sister's AOL  :-P  Tried my arse off getting this ICS internet connection software to work, but no success yet.  Sure, once I get DSL this shouldn't be a problem, but in the meantime, can anybody tell me how to share an AOL connection over the network?

Thanks, Mike
Amiga 500: 2MB Chip|16MB Fast|30MHz 68030+68882|3.9|Indivision ECS|GVP A500HD+|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|Cocolino|SCSI DVD-RAM
Amiga 2000: 2MB Chip|136MB Fast|50MHz 68060|3.9|Indivision ECS + GVP Spectrum|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|AD516|X-Surf 100|RapidRoad|Cocolino|SCSI CD-RW
 Amiga videos and other misc. stuff at https://www.youtube.com/CompTechMike/videos

Offline BouncingAyatollah

• Show only replies by BouncingAyatollah
Re: Network: Win98 to WinXP to AmigaOS to Linux - HELP
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2003, 05:00:09 PM »
AFAIK Internet Connection Sharing can be "problematical" for some people, especially with Win98, some people have endless problems both with install and, well getting it to work!

Have you thought of trying a small proxy server instead? There are several good free ones available for Windows that are very easy to use:

http://download.com.com/3120-2001-0-1-0.html?qt=proxy&author=&titlename=&desc=&dlcount=&daysback=&swlink=&os=&li=49&dlsize=&ca=

(URL supposed to be all 1 line)

Having said this, I know abolutely NOTHING about the trials and torments of AOL :-) (I was speaking to TWO people last night about their horrors...)
\\"Whose souls, albeit in a cloudy memory, yet seek back their good,
but, like drunk men, know not the road home.\\" -- BOETHIUS

Offline DethKnight

• Show only replies by DethKnight
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2003, 07:13:57 PM »
(the Linux machine I'll add later.)

If it were me, I would set up the linux box first, configure it as a router maybe (multiple netcard headache) or just buy a $50 dollar 4port router

I'd keep the 98 box and the amiga on the "backend" , and you can fight about the XP or linux box being the DMZ

wanted; NONfunctional A3K keyboard wanted

Offline iCreate

• Show only replies by iCreate
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2003, 10:25:48 PM »
Did you try the home networking wizard in XP or didi you attempt to setup manually?

Offline Oldsmobile_MikeTopic starter

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2003, 04:17:35 AM »
Hi,

Thanks for your help, but I finally broke down and just got an EarthLink account for the Win98 machine, and it's working fine (leave my sister her rotten AOL!  ICS never worked, either manually or via the wizard)   :-P   I've heard EarthLink works good with Amiga, too - will probably try this in the next day or so - shame when it's sitting right next to me - not enough time!!

This'll do 'till I get the DSL, Samba on the Amiga, etc...
Amiga 500: 2MB Chip|16MB Fast|30MHz 68030+68882|3.9|Indivision ECS|GVP A500HD+|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|Cocolino|SCSI DVD-RAM
Amiga 2000: 2MB Chip|136MB Fast|50MHz 68060|3.9|Indivision ECS + GVP Spectrum|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|AD516|X-Surf 100|RapidRoad|Cocolino|SCSI CD-RW
 Amiga videos and other misc. stuff at https://www.youtube.com/CompTechMike/videos