Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Pictures of AmigaOne motherboard and statements from Alan Redhouse  (Read 7898 times)

Description:

Offline downix

• Show only replies by downix
    • http://www.applemonthly.com
Re: Pictures of AmigaOne motherboard and statements from Ala
« Reply #44 from previous page: February 09, 2003, 04:48:05 AM »
As you probably have access to the latest MorphOS updates, can I make out of this that you say that currently MorphOS offers a similar level of 68k Amiga software compatibility as compared to UAE solutions?

You can make of it whatever you will, which is what you will do anyways.

But for the record, MorphOS is running 68k Amiga software now.  This does put it ahead of AOS4, which isn't shipping atm in order to allow a proper comparison of the two platforms.

However, unless Hyperion's somehow managed to hire ubercoders of the netherworld, it's doubtful that they've done better emulation in 2 years than the MorphOS team has done in 4.
Try blazedmongers new Free Universal Computer kit, available with the GUI toolkit Your Own Universe, the popular IT edition, Extremely Reliable System for embedded work, Enhanced Database development and Wide Area Development system for telecommuting.

Offline logain

• Show only replies by logain
« Reply #45 on: February 09, 2003, 06:49:00 AM »
>>MikeB
>>>>You seem to forget that MorphOS has an UAE too
>>No I wasn't ..

Ok sorry, then i misunderstood this sentence: "In which case UAE solutions offer more software compatibility due to chipset emulations".

>>.. and for the record UAE ports are available for almost all better known OSes, including MacOS, AmigaDE and even AmigaOS itself.

Thats true..but just for the record, A-DE is not an OS (and definitly not "better known" )

>>According to community polls a new Amithon emulation solution by Bernie is the most popular, followed by an AmigaOS4/AmigaOne solution.

Is it? I know other polls ;-)

>>Yes, the entire ABOX is built on top of an Alien kernel, above this kernel is a second "reimplemented" Amiga-like Exec kernel.

So when OS5 comes (if ever) you'll also whine about its alien kernel and the second "reimplemented" Amiga-like Exec kernel which runs in a "sandbox"?

>>>>And also dont forget, that A-Box' JIT performance is ways higher than the Linux/WinUAE-JIT..
>>This depends on the hardware as well.

Sure..i was of course speaking about equal systems.

Offline System

• Show only replies by System
    • http://amiga.org
« Reply #46 on: February 09, 2003, 09:13:45 AM »
@ Downix

Last time I checked, however, I didn't ask "what was more popular."

I fail to see your point. *I* was talking about which solution is more popular, even amongst mainly German Aachen show visitors (Peg/MOS are German products, Genesi focussed event). So there is a much larger group amongst our little community, who want to have AmigaOS4 specificly.

A group of Germans would prefer a Pegasos/AmigaOS4 combination, which of course will not happen before Genesi signs a contract. And it should be noted that this was also influenced by Genesi's FUD spread about Mai and Eyetech's products, which may backfire as AmigaOne-XE boards use the new Articia chipsets, unlike still unavailable Pegasos boards.

But considering Genesi's crusade, I doubt that this would become possible any time soon.

Do not forget that you asked: "What more do you want?". Answer "AmigaOS4".

so it looks like AOS4 and MOS are equal in that respect.

The point is that many people want AmigaOS4 specificly, the legacy Amiga software compatibility isn't a decisive argument to many. It would be fairly easy to create a UAE solution, including chipset emulations on top of a Linux, QNX or whatever other kernel, which then takes over the complete system in a similar way like the ABOX currently does.

Or ExecSG, which is also an alien kernel that can emulate the Executive Library.

Correction, ExecSG is a new and improved PPC version of the original Exec kernel. There is no additional kernel running on top of ExecSG.

Offline System

« Reply #47 on: February 09, 2003, 09:36:56 AM »
Ok sorry, then i misunderstood this sentence: "In which case UAE solutions offer more software compatibility due to chipset emulations".

Yes you must have, UAE offers more compatibility with Amiga software than an ABOX. UAE normally does not take over the complete system, like Amithlon and ABOX/(MorphOS) do, however if there was a large demand for this it would not be too difficult to accomplish. You could even run UAE inside UAE if you like...

Thats true..but just for the record, A-DE is not an OS (and definitly not "better known" )

The AmigaDE is an OS, with intent being its foundation. Some think the AmigaDE is something which runs on top of intent, but actually the AmigaDE simply includes intent.

If you meant to say that the AmigaDE isn't currently a desktop targeted OS, then I would agree. But intent can either run hosted as a transparent compatibility layer on top of other OSes or the OS can also be used non-hosted, like is the case with Kyocera's Pocket Cosmo PDA for example.

So when OS5 comes (if ever) you'll also whine about its alien kernel and the second "reimplemented" Amiga-like Exec kernel which runs in a "sandbox"?

First of, AmigaOS5 (64-bit) is still a long way off. And I do not think sandboxes would be implemented in the same way as currently is done with the ABOX, where the sandbox takes over the complete system. And for the record I am not whining... I am trying to be informative!  :-)

Offline The_Editor

• Show only replies by The_Editor
« Reply #48 on: February 09, 2003, 10:06:44 AM »
How much extra is the "Dual G4" going to cost ?

Me is interested !!
The Reluctant Pom

Offline Hammer

• Show only replies by Hammer
« Reply #49 on: February 09, 2003, 10:18:15 AM »
And also dont forget, that A-Box' JIT performance is ways higher than the Linux/WinUAE-JIT..

Bench numbers for 68K Quake I would be nice...
Amiga 1200 PiStorm32-Emu68-RPI 4B 4GB.
Ryzen 9 7900X, DDR5-6000 64 GB, RTX 4080 16 GB PC.

Offline DaveP

• Show only replies by DaveP
« Reply #50 on: February 09, 2003, 10:21:43 AM »

MikeB wrote:

Funny enough lately with every positive AmigaOS4/AmigaOne thread, there seems to be attempts to artificially transform it into a MorphOS propaganda thread.

Here's the worlds smallest fiddle there Mike, and it's playing just for you.

Im not a MikeB fan but he does have a point and there was no need for that.

I go back to the whinging
that certain people did when every pro-MOS/Pegasos topic on ANN and Amiga.org was inundated with similar anti MOS/Pegasos  propaganda campaigns. Everyone got heartily
sick of it then too.

Problem is Downix is that your activities and that of
a few others are now noticiably propagandist and are starting to have the opposite effect of what you
intend because you have overdone it.

Everyone knows who the propaganda corps are and
who the real users with an interest are.  :-P

In fact I don't know why MikeB pointed it out to you
to be honest ... carry straight on ... please. ;-) Every post you make I can almost hear the sound of the
Eyetech cash register going one more time.

If you and your buddies carry on like this the worlds
smallest violin will be all you can afford.  :-D
Hate figure. :lol:

Offline System

« Reply #51 on: February 09, 2003, 10:35:13 AM »
@ DaveP

Im not a MikeB fan

Phew, what a relieve.  ;-)

Every post you make I can almost hear the sound of the Eyetech cash register going one more time.

One thing you can be sure of, I will not go onto MorphOS community websites to tell people that they should buy  Eyetech's solutions instead, or artificially take over positive MorphOS threads. And for the record I have only ever stated that the Pegasos is a well designed motherboard, just like the AmigaOne-XE.

Offline Alkemyst

• Show only replies by Alkemyst
« Reply #52 on: February 09, 2003, 10:51:33 AM »
One thing you can be sure of, I will not go onto MorphOS community websites to tell people that they should buy Eyetech's solutions instead, or artificially take over positive MorphOS threads. And for the record I have only ever stated that the Pegasos is a well designed motherboard, just like the AmigaOne-XE.

I Agree
PowerTower A1200,060/80Mhz,Heatsink&Fan,66MBRam,PowerFlyerGold,50xCDRomdrive,250Zip,2.1GB&34GB HD,internal Scandoubler & FF,19\\"Monitor,Mediator,Voodoo3-3000,PaceSolo 56k ,PortJnr2,ZEKeys-XS,SMON ,Os3.9

Offline downix

« Reply #53 on: February 09, 2003, 05:13:01 PM »
Nobody's said that the Teron boards are bad.  I did bring up the EOL status of some of the chips on it, but of course Mai is aware of that and will likely be solving that in the near future.  I happen to like the feature list of the Pegasos better, and like it's smaller form factor.  But, the Teron is a decent board.  All I asked was what more someone wanted, to get the flames above (yes, I did some flaming as well admittedly).  I could have asked in a better way, to best not put people on the agressive, so sorry about that.  I started a thread in the general boards to better discuss what I really wanted to know, so I'll discuss this more there if anybody would like to, friendly-like if you dont' mind.
Try blazedmongers new Free Universal Computer kit, available with the GUI toolkit Your Own Universe, the popular IT edition, Extremely Reliable System for embedded work, Enhanced Database development and Wide Area Development system for telecommuting.

Offline System

« Reply #54 on: February 09, 2003, 06:22:31 PM »
I happen to like the feature list of the Pegasos better, and like it's smaller form factor.

The Pegasos is excellently designed hardware. If the hardware would come with AmigaOS4/PPCBoot and offers G4 CPU options at a time of proper availability, I would surely consider buying a board in addition to getting an AmigaOS-XE.

My personal preference would however go towards an AmigaOne-XE solution, as I currently prefer to have an additional PCI slot instead of a smaller form factor board.

to get the flames above

I haven't seen any real flames in reply to your messages. My reactions were intended to be informative and there was just some little general criticism with regard to AmigaOne news items resulting into Pegasos propaganda threads.

Offline logain

• Show only replies by logain
« Reply #55 on: February 09, 2003, 06:34:22 PM »
>>MikeB
>>My personal preference would however go towards an AmigaOne-XE solution, as I currently prefer to have an additional PCI slot instead of a smaller form factor board.

To my knowledge, the first 66-MHz PCI-Slot is completely shared with AGPx2. So you can only use 3 PCI  when using an AGP-Card otherwise you'll need the additional PCI for a PCI-GFX-card.

Offline Alkemyst

• Show only replies by Alkemyst
« Reply #56 on: February 09, 2003, 06:58:09 PM »
To my knowledge, the first 66-MHz PCI-Slot is completely shared with AGPx2. So you can only use 3 PCI when using an AGP-Card otherwise you'll need the additional PCI for a PCI-GFX-card.

This is a very very old argument & has been cleared along time ago by Eyetech.

All 4 PCI Slots work even with a AGP Gfx card in place.

Go to the AoneML & check for yourself.
PowerTower A1200,060/80Mhz,Heatsink&Fan,66MBRam,PowerFlyerGold,50xCDRomdrive,250Zip,2.1GB&34GB HD,internal Scandoubler & FF,19\\"Monitor,Mediator,Voodoo3-3000,PaceSolo 56k ,PortJnr2,ZEKeys-XS,SMON ,Os3.9

Offline System

« Reply #57 on: February 09, 2003, 07:11:24 PM »
To my knowledge, the first 66-MHz PCI-Slot is completely shared with AGPx2.

Yes, the FUD/misinformation campaigns by certain individuals in the past have been fairly effective.

There are two buses,

* 3 x 33 MHz PCI on one bus
* 1 x AGP (2x) and 1 x 66/33 MHz PCI on the other

There's nothing wrong with this. What it does mean is that, if you use an AGP grahics card in combination with a *very high bandwidth* PCI card on the *same bus*, the performance of either may suffer from bottlenecked performance. There's nothing here for anyone to spread FUD about, I would recommend to consume most of such statements with extreme scepticism.

Offline Kronos

• Resident blue troll
    • Show only replies by Kronos
    • http://www.SteamDraw.de
« Reply #58 on: February 09, 2003, 07:12:14 PM »
but the AGP is slowed down to 1x .....

@MikeB

Whats so special about PPCBoot ?

Just a cheap replacement as they couldn't get a working OF.
1. Make an announcment.
2. Wait a while.
3. Check if it can actually be done.
4. Wait for someone else to do it.
5. Start working on it while giving out hillarious progress-reports.
6. Deny that you have ever announced it
7. Blame someone else

Offline downix

« Reply #59 on: February 09, 2003, 07:26:31 PM »

Poster: MikeB Date: 2003/2/9 13:22:31
Quote:
I happen to like the feature list of the Pegasos better, and like it's smaller form factor.

The Pegasos is excellently designed hardware. If the hardware would come with AmigaOS4/PPCBoot and offers G4 CPU options at a time of proper availability, I would surely consider buying a board in addition to getting an AmigaOS-XE.
My personal preference would however go towards an AmigaOne-XE solution, as I currently prefer to have an additional PCI slot instead of a smaller form factor board.

Our needs are likely different, as well.  Looking into my case.... *counts* I have 6 cards.  5 of them would be redundant or irrelevent in a Pegasos, while I could only get rid of 1 of them for the A1.  So, the Pegasos is a cleaner solution for my needs.  But my needs are not your needs.

Quote:
to get the flames above

I haven't seen any real flames in reply to your messages. My reactions were intended to be informative and there was just some little general criticism with regard to AmigaOne news items resulting into Pegasos propaganda threads.

That was never my intention, however.  I was asking a simple question about, if what they wanted was to run their AmigaOS software on a PowerPC, why did they not look at an alternative that's available.  That alternative might even run on the A1 at some point in the future (as it has run on an earlier model of the Teron board) so the question becomes even more relevent.