Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Should we really crack IBrowse 2.4???  (Read 53255 times)

Description:

Offline Terse

• Show all replies
Re: Should we really crack IBrowse 2.4???
« on: April 10, 2008, 01:18:44 AM »
I agree with the above poster.  Until I saw this thread I had assumed that iBrowse was dead.  It does not look in any way different than any other dead project/product that maintains a web page (example: MagicWB)

I don't have a NIC, but if I did I would not have hesitated to use a hacked copy of any Amiga Browser with the understanding that all have been abandoned completely with a final parting message of "don't worry - we'll be back for ordering real soon!"

Offline Terse

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2008, 06:00:03 AM »
@ iBrowse guys
I can't shed any light on the US situation, but if it helps I can tell you my story.  I began looking for a NIC when I saw the iBrowse 2.4 announcement and didn't obtain one until a few months later (got outbid a few times.)  I eventually got a hydra card, but also had to shop for a tranciver.  I got one a few weeks after that.  I then went to buy iBrowse but the site had been closed for only about a week.  If you search this web site you may even be able to find a bitter rant from me about the situation.  I was out about $100 for the hardware.  I then sold the pair at a slight loss on eBay, any perhaps that person is now looking to buy iBrowse...

@A-Pex
I looked at your website a1k.org
It's pretty slick.  It's also very clear that your users are not anything like the typical Amiga users here.  I see your users are actively hacking together new hardware and banning together to complete grassroots projects.  None of that happens anywhere else.  Your fustration stems from the fact that you really are not a normal type of Amiga user. A "normal" Amiga user is a sad and slow moving animal that would rather lament for years and years about the state of things.  A normal Amiga user sees no problem with waiting 3 or 4 _YEARS_for a web site to begin selling new licenses for a dead product.
That's actually why I stick around here.  It's like watching a train wreck every day.  I can't turn away.

Offline Terse

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2008, 04:58:54 AM »

Krusher wrote:
Who cares. If developers don't take money to licence someone, give it a rest. It's their decision. Cracking it is just demotivating any developer. Relax people, why the sudden need for a full fledged browser on the Amiga platform? Just use Firefox for now. I grew up with terminal emulation software on the Amiga, never touched any webbrowser until WinUAE came around.

You assume that everyone has the same browsing needs t(or lack thereof) as you.
Even so, the real question of cracking is moot.  Many (most?) Amiga enthusiasts may not even be on these forums and therefore will find iBrowse by navigating to the homepage for iBrowse, read the "latest update" from Jan '07 and rightly assume the product is abandoned.  Leaving a page up, posting "lastest news" that is over a year old and then never coming back is the norm for abandoned Amiga projects.  In another year or two the page will dissapear alltogether.

Offline Terse

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2008, 06:22:45 AM »

a-pex wrote:

swift240 wrote:
Take no notice IBrowse team your doing what you can where no one else is.

Really, take a look on http://www.reg.net/, I bought some days ago my DV-Player key. Why is this not possible for IBrowse?

I say this, if those who moan about this, then why don't they do better?

I can not program, but I am a good marketing guy, I offered my help and 1500€, what can I do more???

But you are maybe right, I will STOP!!! I have my original key since many, many years, but I tried to get some keys for the users in my forum.
I tried to help the users and I got many flames and bad emails, so I will stop.  :crazy:

You have to admit it's kind of funny that your group is able to remake a run of brand new Amiga motherboards, then a run of 68030 accelerators for the motherboards, then an all new form factor ethernet card for the new motherboard and as soon as the run is finished the main application you have for the hardware is removed from the market!  

You should get together and make a run of PPC boards for your Amiga 1000s and then watch as OS 4.0 gets yanked from the market a few weeks before they ship!