Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Should we really crack IBrowse 2.4???  (Read 53260 times)

Description:

Offline stefcep2

• Show all replies
Re: Should we really crack IBrowse 2.4???
« on: April 10, 2008, 01:15:59 AM »

...The sticking point is that Stefan has been very busy lately and not involved much in IBrowse, and it is he who needs to sort out the distribution stuff.

).

You here this time and time again.  Just how busy are the lives of these software writers (its not just Ibrowse), that it takes them YEARS to do anything about distribution of their software?

The way I read it, its not that Stefan's been trying to set up a suitable distributor and failed. No, he's finding it hard to find the time to even try.  I find it hard to believe that anyone who had any sort of priority or desire to distribute their software would have so little time in their lives to do so.  What would it take, really?  An email to a distributor,  areply from the distributor, a deal and some space on a website. Actually the developers should be commended on their patience as well.

Don't get me wrong I appreciate that the software is there and being developed still, even slowly, and yes I am a registered user, but don't ask me to believe its due to a lack of time either: its due to a lack of desire on Stefan's part, Stefan should just come out and say it.

Offline stefcep2

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2008, 12:44:22 PM »

Boot_WB wrote:
@ Thread

I understand the frustration, but do you think a load of attitude is going to
a) encourage the Ibrowse team
or
b) Make the Ibrowse team see the Amiga community as full of ungrateful W@*kers.

These people are doing this for nothing, in their own precious free time (yes, we all have a life away from the Amiga), on top of having full time jobs.

Get a grip, check the attitude, and think about what approach is likely to yield results: ungrateful yapping about "what they owe their customers" (all of whom have already received the product they paid for - upgrades are offered as a free bonus) or friendly encouragement.

@TJlazer - frankly mate, your facts are incorrect. If you own a keyfile for v2.1, then the same keyfile will work for 2.4 without any modification. If you have had to download a bootleg keyfile then you obviously have not paid for a 2.x keyfile in the first place.
The v2.4 distribution is available on the Ibrowse website, so basically, your words say that you are just stealing their software.

Regards

Rich

I don't agree with this.

No-one's saying: "Hey Ibrowse team , I demand that you write me a Firefox-beater, for nothing, because I deserve it because I paid you something a long time ago".  He's saying: "Ibrowse team, guys you have had long enough to do something about making your software available to purchase.  No excuses: "too busy" is a lot of BS when it takes maybe a few hours to do but you've done nothing to make it available to buy for YEARS.  NO-ONE is THAT busy."   People are doing the honourable thing by asking to PAY for the software AS IT IS.  Given the fact that most users are hobbyists (like the developers) this is commendable. If they can't be bothered to make the software available for purchase then they should just say so and then things take their natural course, whatever that maybe.

Offline stefcep2

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2008, 04:48:34 AM »
Its a ludicrous situation:  purchasers are saying:"We wish to buy your product."  The seller replies:"I won't sell it to you because I refuse to spend the hour of my time that would be required for me to sell it to you". Only Amiga makes it possible.

Getting to the original question, no we shouldn't crack it, because that would be stealing, its Stefan's product.  Will it be cracked?  Of course.

Offline stefcep2

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2008, 05:29:05 AM »

User frustration is inevitable and understandable, but support, not threats, is better in the long run. I already suggested a way for developers to keep users interested and engaged, so it'd be nice if users might return the courtesy by not trying to hasten the demise of a program so they can get it for free. :roll:

What better support can a developer, who's basically not doing it for the money, get then a user saying :"yes I like your product, I think you've done such a good job, so much so that I WANT to pay you MONEY for it"...

Offline stefcep2

• Show all replies
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2009, 11:10:30 AM »
I am fairly certain that Stefan posted on Amigaworld.net(?) about an OS 4 thread in the past month, so I think it can be said he's still an Amiga developer.  i thought about hijacking the thread and asking about an Ibrowse key, but eventually thought better of it..