Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Should we really crack IBrowse 2.4???  (Read 53261 times)

Description:

Offline Nearly-Right

• Show all replies
Re: Should we really crack IBrowse 2.4???
« on: April 09, 2008, 09:52:20 PM »
futaura
I remember buying IBrowse 1.x in 1996 and 2.0 in 1999 - that's over 8 years in which people were able to buy IBrowse and those keys from 8 years ago are valid for 2.4 also.

Yes but some people want to buy it NOW, and maybe did not get the chance to buy it when it was available, and they are right that the lack of availability to buy a registered keyfile has been dragging on for far too long.

I have a registered keyfile, but I could imagine how it feels for others who cannot get one, and it would be enough to put people off using the Amiga, especially thesedays when so much is done on the WEB.

Stephan ought to have more pride in keeping his product available for any new customers he can get, as there cannot be that many in any case, so to let them slip by, and walk away is not doing any of us any good. Get it sorted out ASAP.

After all, when IBrowse 3 comes along I would imagine a new keyfile will be required, and an upgrade for even the IB2.x keyfile holders will be required, to get full access to the IB3.x program.

By the way, seeing as there has been little news on the release of IB3.x, what is the progress on that software?

Also, are we likely to see it this side of 2009, or not, just a simple yes or no will do?

A breakdown of where the program is up to would be greatly appreciated, as silence is no longer golden, it's monotonous, and I feel like an old mushroom, kept in the dark and fed on $$it.

Seeing as you do not update the IBrowse pages with any information as to the development with IB3 it is like being a miner expected to hew coal out of the mine with no light to work with, an unworkable situation.

I know you reply to questions about general IBrowse 2.x questions on forums, but we all want to know about the future, IB3.x and where it is up to also.

The last update I can find on the IBrowse website was in January 2007. That is way over a year ago, with NOTHING else reported.

Frankly everyone with the complaint about the IB2.x keyfiles no longer being available, almost pales into insignificance, when you realise there is no official news on the future of what could otherwise thesedays be deemed a doomed/dead browser, though I would hate to think of IBrowse this way.

Get some news out about IB3.x, and get the availability of IB2.x keyfiles sorted out as a matter of urgency, can you afford to lose the few interested new users that you might get that would migrate to IB3.x if they were able to come on board? I think not.

Offline Nearly-Right

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2008, 08:32:58 PM »
Though your points might be right I would suggest you all use a friendlier tone. Maybe mails starting with appreciation for what has been done so far, or expressing the strong wish to purchase the software without using harsh words have a better chance of beeing answered.

I do not feel your comments are justified here to tell me or anyone else off as I do not think there is anyone who has so far made a comment about the IBrowse topic that has demanded anything from the IBrowse team that should not already have been put in place. The IBrowse team have just allowed current development, and support for their current product to gather cobwebs on the WEB, as a result of which they have lost the momentum, and failed to offer a reasonable amount of up to date information about their intended/current COMMERCIAL product, with NO COMMERCIAL PARTNER there to answer the demand for keyfiles. They have not kept the information available, in a reasonable way, of where IB3 might be up to, for all to be aware, and not have to ask these roundabout questions about it's future.

I for one, am particularly grateful to Oliver Roberts {futaura} for ALL his work on IBrowse, and on his work on Warp Datatypes (which I am a registered keyfile holder of), & that also includes all the other developers who have assisted in the release of all the IB2.x versions that we have enjoyed so far. The 2.4 version of course being the BEST SO FAR.

Which now side-tracks & reminds me . . . . why is Oliver Roberts NOT be the keyfile authoriser/distributor?

If he is magnanimous enough to volunteer to do it, for a small percentage of the keyfile fee, if OK'd by Stefan, to distribute/sell the IB keyfiles, as he is surely up to the task of being able to do this. He supplies his own for his own products, and collects the fee for his own keyfile.

I cannot think of another person who I would put my FULL TRUST in than Oliver Roberts to do this at this moment.

He has a website all can access and knows how to collect the fees, this could all be done swiftly and quite simply, if Oliver & Stefan could agree between themslves that it is OK.

I feel sure we would all appreciate a direct reply about this from futaura (Oliver), 1. if it is possible/feasible, 2. Would Stefan be agreeable to it.

I would really like to hear from Stefan about what has held him up with sorting out a distributor for his copyrighted software, but having been disappointed so many times about not having a reply from him, I feel it is highly unlikely to happen.

He seems in some way to have distanced himself away from his own product, which he should be proud of, and of the users who are still waiting to thank him for it, but he never seems to be listening for the praise or wanting to acknowledge his users, which is a REAL SHAME.

I use Firefox on the PC, and liken it to IBrowse, or should I say that the other way around as I use IBrowse a lot more than I do Firefox, and avoid using IE wherever & whenever I can. I really like using IBrowse, and just recently worked out that adding extra user defined buttons on the navigation keyline gave me as additional 5 extra HOTKEYS/FASTLINKS for regularly used sites, which I have been able to add logos to so I know they relate to Amiga sites or other sites I want to lookup quickly & regularly.

There must be lots of other features still hidden in the program that I have not as yet tapped into, but there is so much that it does with the limitations of the CPU speed we have at our disposal, and considering that compared to the Windows environment IBrowse is head & shoulders better for what it is capabale of doing.

I will be here until there is no more IBrowse Amiga that works on the web. I am a dedicated IBrowse user, and PROUD to be so.

Now get on with IB keyfile distribution, and IB3.x development, as quickly as you can. Make us PROUD.

Offline Nearly-Right

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2008, 09:05:36 PM »
by futaura on 2008/4/13 12:07:15

Just makes me wonder really. And just so that I'm clear, these thoughts have absolutely no effect on the current situation - I am fully in agreement that it needs to be sorted out asap, and for that we need Stefan.

I just wonder then, seeing that you are one of the developers, and you cannot manage to contact Stefan to resolve this problem, how long will it take for this KEYFILE/DISTRIBUTOR problem to be resolved, nevermind the dreadfully slow release of IB3.x.

There is no way for a normal IB user to contact Stefan as he does not seem to want to take e-mails from his users' questions, as their is no e-mail address publicly available for him to be asked these questions.

I, for one, am grateful to you Oliver for taking the stance where you keep us as informed as you feel you can, and it is all credit to you, it is just a pity you do not have more control over the program release/distribution at this point, and are unfortunately unable to get Stefan to do what needs to be done, for us all.