Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: More GNU/Linux Distros Silently Drop PowerPC  (Read 8224 times)

Description:

Offline johnklos

• Show all replies
Re: More GNU/Linux Distros Silently Drop PowerPC
« on: March 29, 2010, 04:01:59 AM »
I suppose it's good that OSes such as NetBSD are available. Our philosophy is that portability is good for everyone - if you write good, correct code, it'll compile and run on all architectures, but if you only test on one architecture such as x86, you'll miss bugs and have issues due to assumptions; not only is there no reason to remove architectures, but there are very good reasons to keep them. As long as the toolchain is kept up to date and as long as a port has at least a few people checking it out now and then, we keep it.

We still support VAX, for instance. It keeps us honest - if the latest OS becomes unbearably slow on VAX for some reason, fixing it helps everyone.

One of the problems with GNU/Linux is that Linux (the kernel) is not designed to be portable - portability is often fixed as an afterthought. GNU (the OS) is pretty portable, but distros these days are often not volunteer groups with lofty goals - they're mostly businesses with a vested interest in having ways to distinguish themselves from other distros, so they're full of non-portable, gratuitously added code so they can add bullet points to their "feature" lists. There's no good reason, for instance, that the entire source tree for an entire distro can't be made to compile and run on a different architectures, particularly fast ones such as PowerPC, and especially distros which had recently had support for said architectures. It implies that someone recently introduced some poorly written gratuitous code since the last version.

Offline johnklos

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2010, 12:07:26 AM »
Quote from: tone007;550171
..but you won't support the DSSI card in my MicroVAX!  I guess I could hunt down a SCSI controller...

Did you try uncommenting the DSSI line in the GENERIC kernel config?

#shac0          at mainbus0             # DSSI controller

I don't know what the exact status of it is, but it'd be interesting to hear.

Offline johnklos

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2010, 11:58:19 PM »
Quote from: the_leander;553642
@Kolla

How does Gentoo compare against say, NetBSD?

In NetBSD:

Code: [Select]
setenv CVSROOT :pserver:anoncvs@anoncvs.netbsd.org:/cvsroot
cvs checkout -P -rnetbsd-5 src
cd src
mkdir obj
./build.sh -m amiga -O obj tools
./build.sh -m amiga -O obj release

(this works on BSDs, most GNU/Linux distros and many other POSIX systems, not just NetBSD)

I'd love to hear how one does the same in Gentoo. GNU/Linux has gotten quite messy, so if Gentoo is different than that's great to hear.