Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: I don't get it.  (Read 14597 times)

Description:

Offline vidarh

• Show only replies by vidarh
Re: I don't get it.
« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2010, 06:45:15 AM »
Quote from: haywirepc;566345

Want to see a HUGE userbase for amiga os again?
X86 it. Limit the supported hardware to a few specific network/video and sound cards. Do that yesterday, make it dual boot with windows, and sell thousands of copies for 50$ each. Watch your userbase skyrocket while
your making money. Make your innovative software BE the new custom chips you crave so much, and stop worrying about hardware.

Who would buy these hypothetical thousands of copies? AmigaOS does not have enough compelling features to make up for its many shortcomings for people who are used to mainstream OS's.

Returning ex-Amiga users like me come back *despite* major problems such as lack of SMP or memory protection or the dire lack of applications.

I think AROS already takes most of the *small* market segment that is willing to put up with these kind of shortcomings just to use an AmigaOS like OS on generic x86 hardware. That's not to say than an x86 version can't work.

Amiga needs more than just the OS - it needs to come as a "package". Take a leaf from Apple, effectively, since Apple today embody a lot of what worked for the Amiga too originally: Sell a *platform* that as a whole is desirable to a user segment, to the point that raw performance numbers or cost becomes less important.

Most users don't "get" what an OS is all about. They buy a package. They want their computer to just work.

Offline Gulliver

« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2010, 07:42:33 AM »
I just dont get it how these two companies, Hyperion and Aeon, plan to survive in this depressed worldwide economy, and generate revenue in a segment inside a niche market, with their current business plan.
Are they for real?

Offline runequester

• It\'s Amiga time!
    • Show only replies by runequester
« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2010, 07:45:47 AM »
Quote from: Gulliver;566354
I just dont get it how these two companies, Hyperion and Aeon, plan to survive in this depressed worldwide economy, and generate revenue in a segment inside a niche market, with their current business plan.
Are they for real?

I imagine thats why there's also cheaper OS4 systems available, even though nobody seems to realize this.

Offline itix

• Show only replies by itix
« Reply #32 on: June 22, 2010, 07:48:35 AM »
@Karlos

Good thought. But I dont think it is just camps vs camps thing. Camps are also internally fragmented. If you look at AmigaWorld.net you find out OS4 users are also fighting themselves. It was similar in MorphOS community in old dark ages when MorphOS 2.0 was nowhere seen.

The old Amiga community was never anything else but endless fights. Usually Amiga users defamating other platforms and disillusioned Amigans arguing back. And not only just that but also internal fights especially in late 90s.

Amiga is the fight club :-P
My Amigas: A500, Mac Mini and PowerBook

Offline runequester

• It\'s Amiga time!
    • Show only replies by runequester
« Reply #33 on: June 22, 2010, 07:49:46 AM »
Quote from: itix;566356
@Karlos

Good thought. But I dont think it is just camps vs camps thing. Camps are also internally fragmented. If you look at AmigaWorld.net you find out OS4 users are also fighting themselves. It was similar in MorphOS community in old dark ages when MorphOS 2.0 was nowhere seen.

The old Amiga community was never anything else but endless fights. Usually Amiga users defamating other platforms and disillusioned Amigans arguing back. And not only just that but also internal fights especially in late 90s.

first rule of amiga is don't talk nice about amiga ? :)

Offline kolla

« Reply #34 on: June 22, 2010, 07:53:03 AM »
B5D6A1D019D5D45BCC56F4782AC220D8B3E2A6CC
---
A3000/060CSPPC+CVPPC/128MB + 256MB BigRAM/Deneb USB
A4000/CS060/Mediator4000Di/Voodoo5/128MB
A1200/Blz1260/IndyAGA/192MB
A1200/Blz1260/64MB
A1200/Blz1230III/32MB
A1200/ACA1221
A600/V600v2/Subway USB
A600/Apollo630/32MB
A600/A6095
CD32/SX32/32MB/Plipbox
CD32/TF328
A500/V500v2
A500/MTec520
CDTV
MiSTer, MiST, FleaFPGAs and original Minimig
Peg1, SAM440 and Mac minis with MorphOS

Offline KarlosTopic starter

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
« Reply #35 on: June 22, 2010, 07:54:17 AM »
Quote from: itix;566356

Surely you've just broken the first rule by talking about it :lol:
int p; // A

Offline KarlosTopic starter

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
« Reply #36 on: June 22, 2010, 07:57:52 AM »
Quote from: redrumloa;566303
What I don't get the exclusivity some desire, especially but not exclusively on the red side. Some seem to think an ultra high price is a right of passage and keeping an ultra low user base is somehow a good thing. EVERYONE should want to grow all the communities, not run off prospective users.

This, I can appreciate. When I said "it's going to be expensive", it wasn't a defence of the price, just a statement of fact. I doubt that many people can justify 1500+ UKP for a hobby machine.
int p; // A

Offline slayer

• Show only replies by slayer
« Reply #37 on: June 22, 2010, 08:14:01 AM »
It's because it is not controlled...

PEOPLE NEED control unfortunately... I saw a similair thing with brands of beer,,, people would always comment about why I'd drink a certain beer and condemn me for it but I never cared why they drunk there choice...

I only care of AmigaOS and I only want to speak about AmigaOS... I am not interested about what people are doing on other OSs etc etc... You won't see me even mutter a damn thing about any other OS... why? because I'm not interested what the jones have up the road or what they are doing with it...

Even as a kid I never wanted to try someone elses games machine or anything similair... I didn't even want someone elses potato chips... my logic was, if I wanted a bloody chip I'd cruise off down the road and buy my own...

The only thing I can think of is it has taken so long for AmigaOS to actually go anywhere from 3,9 etc that all Amiga Forums have evolved in to what we see today... If Morphos and Aros and whatever else was out there was like me and just carried on using AmigaOS or even going to the PC or MAC is they wanted (lets face it, these other OSs haven't really gotten anywhere anyway... since my ignorant about this you'll have to forgive my generalisation but I think even you understand what I mean here) Everyone would be pushing for the same thing... but alas we aren't...

Now instead of just letting AmigaOS be they defend there OS by condemning AmigaOS and theres nothing to stop them because there is NO PRO Amiga minded Admins anymore... because of the decay over the many years...

So nothing is ever going to change around here...

But like I said, a new breed of Pro AmigaOS Only forums will emerge and there will be Control... amen...
~Yes I am a Kiwi, No, I did not appear as an extra in \'Lord of the Rings\'~
1x AmigaOne X5000 2.0GHz 2gM RadeonR9280X AOS4.x
3x AmigaOne X1000 1.8GHz 2gM RadeonHD7970 AOS4.x

Offline kolla

« Reply #38 on: June 22, 2010, 08:41:06 AM »
@slayer
You facist you! ;)
(and this is a joke with reference to a thread on amigaworld.net)

I like amiga.org exactly because here it is allowed for people to pick at one another to a certain degree without mods going bananas over it. And also the info/nonsense ratio is much higher here than on certain other sites.

As for "Pro AmigaOS Only forums" - what do you mean with "Pro"? Forums that are only "pro" AmigaOS (as opposed to "contra"), or do you mean professional forums only for AmigaOS?
B5D6A1D019D5D45BCC56F4782AC220D8B3E2A6CC
---
A3000/060CSPPC+CVPPC/128MB + 256MB BigRAM/Deneb USB
A4000/CS060/Mediator4000Di/Voodoo5/128MB
A1200/Blz1260/IndyAGA/192MB
A1200/Blz1260/64MB
A1200/Blz1230III/32MB
A1200/ACA1221
A600/V600v2/Subway USB
A600/Apollo630/32MB
A600/A6095
CD32/SX32/32MB/Plipbox
CD32/TF328
A500/V500v2
A500/MTec520
CDTV
MiSTer, MiST, FleaFPGAs and original Minimig
Peg1, SAM440 and Mac minis with MorphOS

Offline Gulliver

« Reply #39 on: June 22, 2010, 08:50:11 AM »
Quote from: slayer;566365
But like I said, a new breed of Pro AmigaOS Only forums will emerge and there will be Control... amen...

Control? better call it censorship!

Offline pVC

« Reply #40 on: June 22, 2010, 09:00:19 AM »
Quote from: Karlos;566276
It seems that the X1000 announcement has sent the forum into a timewarp backwards to 2003 or so. I've not seen so much amiga "sectarianism" for a long time.

So, the X1000. It's going to be expensive. We all pretty much understand that. What I don't quite get is why this seems to be such a catalyst for the old Red v Blue nonsense.

I don't think it's all that black and white (or red and blue) now. I don't believe it's all about jealousness, marketing or persuading.

What I feel, that there's much disappointment in the air, which confilcts with enthusiasm. Everyone was waiting something big and well made comeback finally, but things have started to slip in other direction lately.

People would have wanted better prepared presentations, better thought feature and design issues, timeline which doesn't slip, more ready products when brought to public, etc. Something which can be shown at once to big public with an impact which would get some visibility in the mainstream too. Now there's danger that it all can end up like other forgotten half-baked tries in the past and that causes bitter comments on all sides, which can easily be interpreted to something else.

Me as a current MorphOS and classic Amiga user don't have anything against good product from "the other side". Heck, if it would be good enough, it could even attract MorphOS devs to port their OS to it too. And what would be better than new machine capable to run both OSes :-)

MorphOS users are Amiga users by heart and even if the situation is competitive nowadays it still hurts to see our old beloved Amiga name in non-professional attempts, which might even only get some laughs outside the community. Things could get pulled together still, but there's already some damage made for this attempt too.
Daily MorphOS user and Amiga active.

Offline koaftder

• Show only replies by koaftder
    • http://koft.net
« Reply #41 on: June 22, 2010, 09:48:48 AM »
Quote from: Karlos;566276

Am I alone in wondering what all this recent nonsense is about?

It's something new and the company pushing it made fucking absurd claims and spun the hype machine to some warp factor beyond comprehension. More amidrama, folks will buy it, get screwed and time will bury it under a layer of delusion. The cycle continues.

Offline DAX

• Show only replies by DAX
« Reply #42 on: June 22, 2010, 10:30:50 AM »
Quote from: koaftder;566378
It's something new and the company pushing it made fucking absurd claims and spun the hype machine to some warp factor beyond comprehension. More amidrama, folks will buy it, get screwed and time will bury it under a layer of delusion. The cycle continues.
Koft go back to moo bunny will ya?

@Karlos
As for why I'll tell you why, MOS and KOFTS stay clam and silent as long as there is no movement in AOS4 camp whatsoever, as soon as something happens they feel threatened and take action in order to demonstrate how in the light of this new events they are still "za s*it", and all the hell break loose.

Offline DAX

• Show only replies by DAX
« Reply #43 on: June 22, 2010, 10:37:12 AM »
@pVC
I know there are a lot of nice guys in the MOS community (you, Itix, Guruman just to name a few) but there also those that can't wait to jump at the register forum to denigrate the effort, and depict it in the worse possible way.
How does that help? Why you felt comppeled to do it?
I'll tell you why and it has to do with persuasion my friend, they just don't want OS4 to get attention and try to ruin it as much as they can.
There is no other reason than fear.

Offline koaftder

• Show only replies by koaftder
    • http://koft.net
« Reply #44 from previous page: June 22, 2010, 10:51:21 AM »
Quote from: DAX;566383
Koft go back to moo bunny will ya?

Umm, no? Go "back" to moobunny? Amiga.org is where I roost. I've made a few dozen posts on the moo, 1600 posts here. I see you joined here in JUN 2010 and have 88 posts. Maybe you should crawl back to where ever you came from. Don't though, forums need meat.