Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Would you pay $100 for an updated Classic AmigaOS?  (Read 6376 times)

Description:

Offline GulliverTopic starter

Would you pay $100 for an updated Classic AmigaOS?
« on: June 30, 2009, 12:19:04 AM »
Would you be willing to pay $100 for an updated Classic AmigaOS? What features would you request for it to implement, enhance or bugfix? (Please do avoid senseless crap about DVD players for a poor 68k cpu, be realistic about what you can actually expect).

For example, in my case i would defintely pay $100 for the following integrated AmigaOS enhancements:
-DHCP support on a TCP-IP stack
-A CSS capable web browser that works on AGA/RTG
-A decent file decompression program WITH FILE COMPRESSION support
-An updated easier to use HDToolbox program
-A video player that supports FLV, WMV, MPG, QT and AVI, much like RiVA did with MPG, supporting both AGA and RTG
-A decent CD/DVD filesystem handler that supportd UDF, Multisessions, Dual layer DVDs
-An integrated CD/DVD burner application
-New Filesystems support: NTFS(Win7), HFS(Mac), ext4(linux) and one for efficient flash storage
-New and highly optimized BMP, PNG and TIFF datatypes
-A fully working version of MUI or an AROS optimized zune port

Thats it

Offline Trev

• Zero
    • Show only replies by Trev
Re: Would you pay $100 for an updated Classic AmigaOS?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2009, 12:32:26 AM »
Isn't this what AmiKit, AmigaSYS, and others aim to do? No one in the cumminity has access to OS3 source code in a way that allows them to distribute updates, so we'd need Amiga, Inc.'s license to move forward. I don't think anyone considers that a serious possibility.

Offline Dragster

• Show only replies by Dragster
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2009, 12:32:39 AM »
Hi, intesting question... personally, I'd pay that money for an updated AmigaOS4.x for Classics... it makes more sense to me.

Quote from: Gulliver;513880
Would you be willing to pay $100 for an updated Classic AmigaOS? What features would you request for it to implement, enhance or bugfix? (Please do avoid senseless crap about DVD players for a poor 68k cpu, be realistic about what you can actually expect).

For example, in my case i would defintely pay $100 for the following integrated AmigaOS enhancements:

Let's see...

-DHCP support on a TCP-IP stack

Miami?

-A CSS capable web browser that works on AGA/RTG

Netsurf 68K?

-An updated easier to use HDToolbox program

Why? It already supports large drives.. and it's easy to use!

-A video player that supports FLV, WMV, MPG, QT and AVI, much like RiVA did with MPG, supporting both AGA and RTG
Hmmm... prolly, unfortunately those are low quality formats... no sense to me now since 68K (even a 060) doesn't have enough power...

-A decent CD/DVD filesystem handler that supportd UDF, Multisessions, Dual layer DVDs
AllegroCDFS? CacheCDFS? AFAIK, It does support UDF.. dunno about Dual layer DVDs though

-An integrated CD/DVD burner application

Why would you pay for this when you have makecd for free?!

-New Filesystems support: NTFS(Win7), HFS(Mac), ext4(linux) and one for efficient flash storage

Well, the are already drivers for reading NTFS and ext(X).. you can read MAC volumes with a mac emulator...

-New and highly optimized BMP, PNG and TIFF datatypes
Well, there is warp datatypes, pretty good.. low cost, PNG one is outdated though, I don't know about the rest... there's the other option , the AK ones... which afaik, are free and updates regularly!

-A fully working version of MUI or an AROS optimized zune port

I'd probably pay for this last one for OS 3.x.. but.. I'd definately be more interested in OS 4 update/bug fix release.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2009, 12:41:29 AM by Dragster »
Amiga 1200T 603/240, 060/50, SCSI II, Plextor 40/12/40S SCSI CDRW, Plextor 40X SCSI CDROM, Fujitsu 36GB 10KRPM SCSI HD, Pioneer 305S SCSI DVD, BVisionPPC, 256 MB FASTRAM, PowerFlyer EIDE, Scandex external scandoubler, ZIV busboard, Algor USB, Wireless, repulse audio...Peg II Quadruple boot: OS4.1FE/MorphOS 3.9 regged, OpenSUSE11.1 & Debian Squeeze, Powerbook G4 1139 MorphOS3.9, A4000D CSPPC/PIV/DENEB OS3.9/4.1FE, A4000T CSPPC/CVPPC/SCSI, etc.. 2

Offline djbase

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2009, 12:46:06 AM »
AOS3 is dead. It would be just a waste of money and time. But there is AROS since years which is OS3-API compatible so I wonder why nobody ever did an 68k Port for the classics? I am sure it would give the classic users what they need and won't get with AOS3.
AMIGA 1200 | Vampire 1200 II | 128 MB RAM | Indivision AGA Mk3 | 256 GB SD | AmigaOS 3.2.2
AMIGA 600 | Vampire 600 II | 128 MB RAM | Indivision ECS Mk3 | 256 GB SD | AmigaOS 3.2.2

Offline Jose

• Show only replies by Jose
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2009, 01:11:56 AM »
No. It would be interesting specially if a 1Ghz 68K came out, but unfortunately it's not gonna happen....
\\"We made Amiga, they {bleep}ed it up\\"

Offline Trev

• Zero
    • Show only replies by Trev
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2009, 01:30:10 AM »
Quote from: Jose;513885
No. It would be interesting specially if a 1Ghz 68K came out, but unfortunately it's not gonna happen....

Elbox's mythical Dragon might reinvigorate things as well, but to move beyond nostalgia, it would have to do something--anything--that a less expensive, state of the art Windows, Linux, Mac OS, or game system doesn't already do better.

6LoWPAN? (An up to date port of Contiki could do that.)

A general purpose natural speech recognition user interface in multiple languages?

Natural and seamless, general purpose parallel processing?

An operating environment that blurs the lines between local and distributed (cloud, clustered, whatever) computing? An operating environment on top of a virtual machine (pay attention: Sun/Oracle and Microsoft know damned well what they're doing with Java and .NET, and hypervisors/virtual machine monitors, while established, provide logical partitioning and nothing more) that transparently locates and consumes remote execution resources?

Offline Matt_H

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2009, 02:00:25 AM »
MUI 3.8 can still be registered, though I would pay money for MUI 3.9 or 4.0 to be backported to 68K.

Offline Hans_

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2009, 02:26:34 AM »
Quote from: Gulliver;513880
Would you be willing to pay $100 for an updated Classic AmigaOS?

No I wouldn't. I have Amiga OS 4.1 and I wouldn't go back to a 68k machine.

Hans
http://hdrlab.org.nz/ - Amiga OS 4 projects, programming articles and more. Home of the RadeonHD driver for Amiga OS 4.x project.

Offline Jeff

• VIP / Donor - Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by Jeff
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2009, 02:35:33 AM »
I might have until I had a chance to play with OS4.1 on the Flex. I'm hooked all over again.

Offline HammerD

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2009, 03:14:37 AM »
Yes I would definately pay.  We should really organize an official update.
AmigaOS 4.x Beta Tester - Classic Amiga enthusiast - http://www.hd-zone.com is my Amiga Blog, check it out!

Offline amigadave

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by amigadave
    • http://www.EfficientByDesign.org
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2009, 03:22:22 AM »
I have donated to AmiKit, which I really like and have no regrets for doing so, and I have requested to have an easy install script that would optimize as many of its features and programs as are possible, to run on my A4000 w/060/50MHz & 604e/233MHz, but its author has not agreed to provide such an optimization and script and has left that task to others, which I regret, but accept that he has other priorities in his life and I appreciate what he has done to create and maintain AmiKit, the best, or one of the best enhancements of the WinUAE emulator program.

I will probably check out AmigaSYS some day, which does have an optimized version for Classic Amigas.  I have also checked on the progress of volunteer efforts to create a Boing Bag 3 for AmigaOS3.9 installations.  But to answer the original question, Yes, I would probably pay $100 for an update to AmigaOS3.9 for 68060 Amigas depending on what was included with it and how it was provided.  I don't see much sense in creating it for stock 68000 Amigas, and I am skeptical that it would be worthwhile on anything less than a 68030/40MHz, or 50MHz w/68882 and at least 32mb of Fast RAM.

It would have to be a step up from what is available already in several different places (mostly for free) and it would have to have a good install script so that I would not have to fight with its installation for days, weeks or months.  

I could see it taking advantage of and being bundled with the IndivisionAGA4000 and Deneb cards to make a very useable and fun again Amiga, but then I am one of those old timers that still believes that a lot of fun can still be had with a fast 68060 and/or PPC accelerated Amigas.
How are you helping the Amiga community? :)

Offline amigadave

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2009, 03:30:03 AM »
Quote from: Jeff;513890
I might have until I had a chance to play with OS4.1 on the Flex. I'm hooked all over again.

Hey Jeff, bring that SAM440flex to AmiWest 2009 in October so I can see how you have it set up and compare it to my Efika running MorphOS2.2.  I would love to meet you there this year, it is going to be a great time for all that attend.  Even better than last year!

Offline Cammy

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2009, 03:44:19 AM »
I would pay for an updated IBrowse that has CSS support, and I'd pay for MUI 3.9/4.0 too.

Netsurf probably wouldn't be very responsive on an AGA 030 A1200, but IBrowse really is.
A1200 030@28Mhz/2MB+32MB/RTC/KS3.1/IDE-CF+4GB/4-Way Clockport Expander/IndivisionAGA/PCMCIA NIC
A1200 020@14Mhz/2MB+8MB/FPU/RTC/KS3.0/IDE-CF+2GB/S-Video
CD32 020@14Mhz/2MB+8MB/RTC/KS3.1/IDE-CF+4GB
A600 030@30Mhz/2MB+64MB/RTC/IDE-CF+4GB/Subway USB/S-Video/PCMCIA NIC/USB Numeric Keypad+Hub+Mouse+Control Pad
A500 000@7Mhz/512kB+512kB/ROM Switcher/KS3.1+1.3/S-Video

Get AmigaOS

Offline amigadave

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2009, 04:08:12 AM »
Quote from: HammerD;513892
Yes I would definately pay.  We should really organize an official update.

Better yet, let us keep it UNOFFICIAL and away from Amiga Inc.

I would rather see a group of developers provide a cohesive and well thought out Boing Bag 3 type of update to AmigaOS3.9, which I don't think would need any involvement from the actual holders of the AmigaOS copyrights, who ever that may be this week.

That way the money would most likely actually get to the developers who provide the new updates to the OS.

Offline trekiej

« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2009, 04:52:21 AM »
Would a workbench replacement be an advantage for OS3.9?
If the WB was replaced could OS3.9 have the bells and whistles of OS4.0?
Amiga 2000 Forever :)
Welcome to the Planar System.