Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: 2007: Expanding my Amiga collection  (Read 671 times)

Description:

Offline DigitalQTopic starter

• Show only replies by DigitalQ
    • http://digitalquirk.ca
2007: Expanding my Amiga collection
« on: January 12, 2008, 02:29:52 AM »
We're well into 2008, so I thought it time for me to share with others in the community what I managed to collect with regards to Amiga, as well as how much I paid.

While most of my attention was on the 8 bit machines (Vic 20, Commodore 64, Commodore 128), my focus did start to turn to Amiga; starting with this CD32 system:

I discovered it at a local flea market; I managed to get the entire collection for $60.  The AGA Amiga systems aren't really my flavour, but I couldn't just leave it there in that damp, cold flea market!

It's great fun; I've burned an 888-in-one game compilation for it, and it's great!

Things kicked into high gear when I discovered this mint A2000 at World of Commodore in Toronto; which was mine for the asking price of $50:

While I was there, I picked up this triple kickstart chip, with switch, for $30.  It contains kickstart 1.3, 2.04, and 3.1:

Those are my significant finds.  I also got some sort of '020 accelerator and RAM expander for the A2000, but apparently needs a hardware hack done to make it work, which I'm not entirely comfortable with yet (it was made for earlier A2000 models).  I'm currently underway building up the Amiga 2000; not necessarily maxing it out, but building it to a level that I find is acceptable while maintaining its original image.

It feels good getting back in touch with Amiga.  It's been too long.  I left Amiga to pursue a career in the PC industry; but now that all the good jobs have been outsourced to India, I can finally get back to using a computer I enjoy!

Offline actung_bab

• Show only replies by actung_bab
Re: 2007: Expanding my Amiga collection
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2008, 06:53:16 AM »
very nice amiga 2000 they are nice machines arent they.

:-)
Acthung baby
http://telnet://midnight-blue.dyndns.org
Cnet 4.60 PRO bbs software
Amiga 1200 020 14 mhz mbz 1200 z pcmcia network card 4 meg ram 2 Gb scandisk cf
Amiga 2000 020
Amiga 4000 030 25 mhz broken
Amiga x 4 1200
x 6 Sony Ps 3 Orginal 60 gb 4  port usb 160 gb hd (os 4.1 ready :-)
what can i say i like thse machines
x 3 XBOX 360 1x xbox 360 slim
url=http://avatars.jurko.net][/

Offline QuikSanz

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2008, 06:55:16 AM »
Wow, I wish my A2000 looked that new!

Chris

Offline DigitalQTopic starter

• Show only replies by DigitalQ
    • http://digitalquirk.ca
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2008, 03:25:15 PM »
The Amiga 2000 is my all-time favourite Commodore computer, and always has been.  To me, it was the crown jewel of the "Golden age" of Commodore and of computers in general; a time when Amiga truly was the best computer.  It was also a time when Commodore was finally managed properly under the direction of CEO Tom Rattigan, who didn't know much about computers, but certainly knew enough to listen to people!  I believe that, under his direction, Commodore would still be around today.  That man, with the A500 and A2000 that came out under his direction, brought Commodore to new heights of greatness.  I always drooled and marveled at the various A2000 configurations that came and went over the years, which were then always priced just out of reach for me.

The later Amigas make me think of Gould and how he contributed to driving Commodore into the ground.  I'll "Rescue" one if I see it needs rescuing, but to be honest, when I play my CD32, I hide it away and pretend it's a CDTV.   :-)