Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Arix  (Read 18377 times)

Description:

Offline ferrellsl

Re: Arix
« Reply #14 from previous page: November 19, 2013, 08:13:07 PM »
Quote from: takemehomegrandma;753065
@ferrellsl

I may not know much about ARIX yet (and neither do you or anyone else outside "the loop"), but one thing I know for certain is that you have made a complete fool out of yourself in this thread, acting like a clown from the very beginning, making wild claims and accusations  when no info about it was known, and when real info is slowly starting to be released and when people with real life knowledge of the thing corrects you, you don't back down and stand corrected, no, you persist your claims like only a fool would.

:rant:

Why don't you just sit back and wait?

:confused:

Well, actually I HAVE sat back and waited, only to be shown nothing by the folks behind that ridiculous countdown timer.  How much longer do you suggest we all wait? And at least I've presented an argument while you insist on calling me names.  That's very weak in light of the fact that we were promised some answers when the countdown ended.  Show me some facts......

Offline ferrellsl

« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2013, 08:17:17 PM »
Quote from: OlafS3;753058
You seem really to think you are right. I like ice cream btw. You are not very credible because you bashed on it from first minute and then continued to do so. When there are all informations you can still critisize but not from first minute.

you claim that it is a linux app looking like AROS running on it. So when we look at it there is Poseidon, AHI and other amiga-components, on the screenshot there is the DOpus Magellan icon. All are Linux apps? Explain that with or without master degree...

The ones lacking credibility are Dammy and terminills and I'm sorry if that offends you.  They promised to show us something new and groundbreaking after enduring a lengthy countdown timer.  I think we deserve some answers to our questions but so far all we get is silence.  And based on Dammy's past performance I have a right to be skeptical and critical of his claims.  Again, sorry if that offends you and others, but it's my right to be skeptical here....what better place to be skeptical than at Amiga.org after all the previous scams and failures of the past.

Offline ferrellsl

« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2013, 08:28:01 PM »
Quote from: nicholas;753086
Firstly you are conveniently forgetting the "dual kernel" Amithlon. Secondly Dammy and Terminills haven't created ARIX, (some) of the AROS team have created it, all of them "big name" low level system programmers.

Have you responded to Dr Schulz yet?

ps Your claims regarding MorphOS 3.3 were that it "lacks a useful or STABLE browser" and has an "unacceptable lack of 3D support".

Neither is true.

I've stated there have been dual kernel operating systems in the past, created mostly in labs, but for good reasons they've failed in the real world, that includes Amithlon, maybe not for the same reasons that the others failed, but alas, no one can conclude that Amithlon was/is a success. So I haven't conveniently left Amithlon off the list.  My list is all inclusive when it comes to dual kernel operating systems.

Yes, and that was based on my experience with MOS 3.0 several years ago, and my claims about browser stability AND usefulness in those days still stand as do my comments about the level of 3D support which was, if my memory serves me correctly, consisted of a subset of OpenGL 1.2/1.3.  Not exactly modern.  And the 3D support in MOS and OS4 is still woefully lacking today compared to modern systems.  Nothing has changed.

I've looked for Dr. Schulz on AW but I can't find him.  What's his screen name?  I WOULD like to see some documentation or maybe he would be kind enough to provide some on both AW and Amiga.org
« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 08:34:52 PM by ferrellsl »

Offline ferrellsl

« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2013, 08:45:35 PM »
Quote from: nicholas;753092
You said ARIX would be the "first one in commercial existence", there have been many Amithlon is just one.

Dr Michal Schulz is michalsc over there, he's replied to you in the ARIX Foundation thread.

Ah, you got me there!  Arix would be the second one developed for commercial gain that I'm aware of.  All the others that I'm aware of were open source *nix's or variants and didn't tie into Amigas.

O, thanks for pointing out who michalsc is.  I didn't realize that.  I've admired his work on Aros for ARM (and x86).  I didn't realize he was the brains behind Arix. For some strange reason one might assume that Dammy or terminills was the driving force behind Arix.

---------------------

Checked out the Arix thread on AWorld and Dr. Schulz is providing a wealth of info.  I had been there earlier today but hadn't checked back until you mentioned it.  Great stuff!  And I DO admit that I was wrong about Arix, but can you blame me in spite of all the BS we've come to know and love at Amiga.org?

I recommend that other loud-mouthed skeptics such as myself head over to AWorld and check out the Arix thread there if you're looking for technical info.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 08:59:11 PM by ferrellsl »

Offline ferrellsl

« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2013, 09:01:22 PM »
@nicholas

I'm with you Brother!  I like what I'm seeing.  Sorry to have been so "vocal", but like the saying goes, the squeaky wheel gets the grease!  I will now desist!

Offline ferrellsl

« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2013, 09:12:07 PM »
Quote from: Iggy;753099
WOW!

For a community that usually exhibits more than its share of patience, this is surprisingly fractious.

I understand Nik's reluctance to revel more about this, and am glad I only know a little as i would not have his patience.

But, at least understand this, we have someone (who I personally trust) telling us it exists and that he's used it for awhile.

Isn't that enough to temper the premature negative BS?

You missed my reply #75 on the previous page! http://www.amiga.org/forums/showthread.php?t=66288&page=5

And again, I recommend that other loud-mouthed skeptics such as myself head over to AWorld and check out the Arix thread there if you're looking for technical info.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 09:26:19 PM by ferrellsl »

Offline ferrellsl

« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2013, 10:57:43 PM »
Quote from: koaftder;753110
He has time to write all that but there's nothing on the site after that bizarre countdown thing? Do the folks behind the website have anything to do with the guys doing the development work?

Makes one wonder doesn't it?!  I'm starting to think they're unrelated. ;-)

Offline ferrellsl

« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2014, 05:44:17 PM »
@XDelsuion

Arix will also provide multi-processor support, something still lacking in AROS.

Offline ferrellsl

« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2014, 06:05:58 PM »
@XDelusion

I don't want to speak for the Arix dev team, but if I understand what Michal Schulz has stated about Arix, Arix uses a modified Linux kernel with an AROS API translation layer or "shim" sitting on top of it.  This allows Arix and AROS applications to make full use of multi-core processors.  Michal gave a very detailed and in-depth overview of Arix some months ago where he explained much of how this worked,  I think the threads were over at AmigaWorld if you're curious about the details.

Offline ferrellsl

« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2014, 06:08:41 PM »
@phoenixkonsole

I hope that multi-processor support IS added to AROS in the future.  I believe that's one of the stated goals but I'm not sure if/when we'll see it in the native AROS releases.

Offline ferrellsl

« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2014, 06:24:05 PM »
@XDelusion

Yes, driver support will be greatly improved under Arix but another positive side effect is that Arix will allow AROS application software developers to continue writing code independently of the AROS/Arix operating system developers.  This will allow for mature, robust application development to occur independently of the native AROS OS and driver development.  

Another unintended side effect, for good or bad depending on your viewpoint, is that some people may just opt to use Arix and lose interest in "native" AROS.

Offline ferrellsl

« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2014, 04:07:00 PM »
Quote from: SamuraiCrow;767203
ARIX is a hybrid kernel.  It's just AROS with sections borrowed from Linux.  Or it's Linux with an exclusive AROS compatibility harness.

That's not quite correct.  It's modified Linux kernel.  Arix uses a Linux kernel with an AROS shim/API translation layer sitting on top of that kernel.  This has been explained in depth by Michal Shulz, the lead Arix developer.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2014, 04:09:48 PM by ferrellsl »

Offline ferrellsl

« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2014, 04:07:37 PM »
Quote from: LiveForIt;767207
Sound to me as they have created a wrapper for the Linux kernel models, but that's not so simple, as the it will need a large part of Linux kernel for it to function, it will need to support fork(), and other parts the kernel module might need.

I can't read from this if they need to adapt the Linux kernel modules for Arix or if they use the kernel modules unmodified.

I'm assuming the need to recompile and make small adjustments.

You are correct.