Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Arix  (Read 18515 times)

Description:

Offline nicholas

Re: Arix
« Reply #104 from previous page: November 22, 2013, 11:08:41 AM »
any OS developer who thinks that "less than 100% compatibility/stability" is OK and actually something to *aim for*, shouldn't be taken seriously as well!

You might want to rethink that statement as MorphOS isn't 100% compatible with Amiga software. ;)
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline takemehomegrandma

• Show only replies by takemehomegrandma
« Reply #105 on: November 22, 2013, 02:24:14 PM »
@vidarh

Well then, this sounds like a plan! Go ahead! :)

@nicholas

Quote from: nicholas;753268
You might want to rethink that statement as MorphOS isn't 100% compatible with Amiga software. ;)

Maybe you meant to say that some Amiga SW isn't 100% compatible to a system that's missing Amiga HW?

;)
MorphOS is Amiga done right! :)

Offline number6

« Reply #106 on: November 22, 2013, 02:56:09 PM »
Quote from: takemehomegrandma;753272
@vidarh

@nicholas

Maybe you meant to say that some Amiga SW isn't 100% compatible to a system that's missing Amiga HW?

;)

No. Reread the Morphzone threads. It's about lack of Planar screens on RTG, which AmigaOS4/Picasso handles, but was removed from CGX and clearly noted in the notes in ModePro mode promotion s/w. Not making a big deal of it, but still...

Offline nicholas

« Reply #107 on: November 22, 2013, 03:10:29 PM »
@vidarh

@nicholas

;)

Nope, there are programs that work on OS4 on systems that lack Amiga hardware too, OctaMED being one example.

It's OK to not be 100% compatible you know.
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline vidarh

• Show only replies by vidarh
« Reply #108 on: November 22, 2013, 04:40:51 PM »
@vidarh

Ironically, I'm busy fixing compatibility issues right now.  (Between AROS network includes and POSIX requirements...)

Offline CritAnimeTopic starter

• Previous Life Time Member
    • Show only replies by CritAnime
« Reply #109 on: April 06, 2014, 01:06:50 AM »
What is the status of this project? Seems very little has been happening or it's very quiet.

Offline persia

• Show only replies by persia
« Reply #110 on: April 06, 2014, 03:13:30 AM »
The last entry on Facebook says they'll be represented at a California Linux event on THURSDAY 20/02/14.  Unfortunately the event started on Friday the 21st....
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

Offline number6

« Reply #111 on: June 16, 2014, 03:13:12 PM »
Quote from: CritAnime;762013
What is the status of this project? Seems very little has been happening or it's very quiet.

some new posts

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #112 on: June 16, 2014, 03:22:55 PM »
i wonder what it means "arix compiled".. so an app needs to be particularly compiled for multicore usage. i somehow hoped aros api would be taken over with only the most necessary extensions not to cause another split.

Offline OlafS3

« Reply #113 on: June 16, 2014, 03:41:07 PM »
Quote from: wawrzon;766870
i wonder what it means "arix compiled".. so an app needs to be particularly compiled for multicore usage. i somehow hoped aros api would be taken over with only the most necessary extensions not to cause another split.

I do not know if that is really meant. The lowlevel stuff is changed so they certainly have their own hidden infrastructure to compile it. On top of it is Aros. As a example Jason said he would contribute all changes to the normal AROS ABI1. i can remember one screenshot showing a Magellan icon on it so I think from a application view AROS and ARIX will be the same, everything different would be a disaster.

Offline Terminills

• Grand Conspirator
    • Show only replies by Terminills
« Reply #114 on: June 16, 2014, 03:56:49 PM »
Quote from: OlafS3;766871
I think from a application view AROS and ARIX will be the same,

That is correct.
Support AROS sponsor a developer.

edited by mod: this has been addressed

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #115 on: June 16, 2014, 06:20:00 PM »
@terminills

looks like we have contradicting information in this thread:

http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic_id=38492&forum=2&start=20&viewmode=flat&order=0

looks like arix will be able to run aros binaries (v1?), that means the backward compatibility will be granted (but aros v1 has no significant application pool nevertheless except what gets compiled in the contribs, so what?). then it seems arix extensions will need to be backported to aros to grant future binary compatibility even though aros may not be able to take advantage of certain features such as multicore support.

Offline takemehomegrandma

• Show only replies by takemehomegrandma
« Reply #116 on: June 16, 2014, 07:45:21 PM »
Quote from: number6;766869
some new posts

"I would have rather have had Terminills comment on it but he's still banned for another moon or so."

Their loss! In your face, AW.net! :lol: :p ;)

Good thing he can post here at least (for the moment :nervous:)...

;)
MorphOS is Amiga done right! :)

Offline number6

« Reply #117 on: June 16, 2014, 08:18:35 PM »
Quote from: takemehomegrandma;766891
"I would have rather have had Terminills comment on it but he's still banned for another moon or so."

Their loss! In your face, AW.net! :lol: :p ;)

Good thing he can post here at least (for the moment :nervous:)...

;)

Heh. I guess social media will be the place to watch first, since that's where the bit about NDAs being active appeared a few weeks ago. But who knows?

Offline XDelusion

• Alien Breeder
    • Show only replies by XDelusion
    • http://starwarslegacy.net/
« Reply #118 on: June 16, 2014, 08:29:02 PM »
Hmm, went to the page to see if a demonstration video was up yet and the page is down.
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #119 on: June 16, 2014, 08:42:20 PM »
Quote from: XDelusion;766902
Hmm, went to the page to see if a demonstration video was up yet and the page is down.

you mean this?:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDCNZFPR1K8&feature=youtu.be
this computer really sounds like an accelerating truck..