Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Arix  (Read 18312 times)

Description:

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
Re: Arix
« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2013, 10:50:28 AM »
Quote from: klesterjr;752946
The website is now live, but I STILL have no idea what Arix is.  The website is virtually empty.  I waited a month for nothing.

I feel duped.
I am in no way defending the ARIX project, but to be fair to them, you have not been promised anything... You can't feel "duped", yet :)

Offline CritAnimeTopic starter

• Previous Life Time Member
    • Show only replies by CritAnime
« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2013, 11:14:41 AM »
I will say what I said over on AW.Net

We will see what happens. I am interested to see what the outcome is.  Yet this needlessly cryptic rubbish we have been seeing is annoying. It  all reminds me of CUSA when they would make a announcement, which in  turn would be an announcement for a announcement yet to come. Only for  them to bugger something up and retract statements. If it had been me I  would have scrapped the timer, done the website on a locally hosted  machine (using whichever CMS) as to avoid people snooping, had  screenshots ready showing off the OS doing stuff that average users  would do then just parked the domain ready for the launch with a static  image or something. I would have even gone as far as to not put a definite launch date just to be safe. If your wanting to put on a good show to get people  interested there are better ways. Now its just comes off amateurish.

But  it's time we ignored that, time Dammy and Terminills (also whoever else  is involved in the team) actually gave us solid info about the project. I do want to see what the fuss is all about. I want a Amiga like system that will run comfortably on my new i5 system.

Preferably one that will dual boot nicely with windows 8.1 :P

Offline metalmac

• Show only replies by metalmac
« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2013, 11:15:34 AM »
Quote from: nicholas;752950
I have no idea why the site is still empty but I do know what ARIX is (I've used it for a few months) and it really is fantastic.  It's not what ferrels thinks it is, not even close either.

Nice to hear someone using it!
I am really interested in this project.
Can you give us something to still our hunger for more info? :)
Dose Arix give us SMP, memmoryprotection for example?

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2013, 11:41:07 AM »
Quote from: CritAnime;752953
I will say what I said over on AW.Net

We will see what happens. I am interested to see what the outcome is.  Yet this needlessly cryptic rubbish we have been seeing is annoying. It  all reminds me of CUSA when they would make a announcement, which in  turn would be an announcement for a announcement yet to come. Only for  them to bugger something up and retract statements. If it had been me I  would have scrapped the timer, done the website on a locally hosted  machine (using whichever CMS) as to avoid people snooping, had  screenshots ready showing off the OS doing stuff that average users  would do then just parked the domain ready for the launch with a static  image or something. I would have even gone as far as to not put a definite launch date just to be safe. If your wanting to put on a good show to get people  interested there are better ways. Now its just comes off amateurish.

But  it's time we ignored that, time Dammy and Terminills (also whoever else  is involved in the team) actually gave us solid info about the project. I do want to see what the fuss is all about. I want a Amiga like system that will run comfortably on my new i5 system.

Preferably one that will dual boot nicely with windows 8.1 :P

All valid points, but if the intention was to get people taking about the project (good or bad), then it has if nothing else been an effective tool for that.

Offline vidarh

• Show only replies by vidarh
« Reply #33 on: November 18, 2013, 11:49:49 AM »
Quote from: wawrzon;752936
you can still have your aros hosted for free, whats your problem if someone proposes commercial fork?

As long as it mostly or entirely maintains application compatibility, I'm all for it. Though I hope these guys will keep contributing to the open source AROS too.

Consider what commercial Linux distributions have done for Linux. E.g. RedHat has made a huge amount of money on Linux, but they've also invested a lot of money in Linux by hiring core developers and releasing a lot of code back to the community (not that I expect ARIX to turn into a billion dollar company like Redhat did...).

Offline yssing

• Show only replies by yssing
    • http://www.yssing.org
« Reply #34 on: November 18, 2013, 11:58:44 AM »
Well if the product is done right, and released with the right tools, I don't see why there shouldn't be a commercial market for it.

If I can use a LAMP/WAMP variant, with a good editor, office suite, webbrowser, VCS, an easy to use filesharing system, then I would be satisfied to begin with.

Offline nicholas

« Reply #35 on: November 18, 2013, 01:09:47 PM »
Quote from: metalmac;752954
Nice to hear someone using it!
I am really interested in this project.
Can you give us something to still our hunger for more info? :)
Dose Arix give us SMP, memmoryprotection for example?

I could say because I'm not under NDA but I won't yet out of respect for the ARIX developers.  I wouldn't want to steal their thunder. ;)
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline metalmac

• Show only replies by metalmac
« Reply #36 on: November 18, 2013, 01:27:40 PM »
Quote from: nicholas;752962
I could say because I'm not under NDA but I won't yet out of respect for the ARIX developers.  I wouldn't want to steal their thunder. ;)

I understand, I just have to wait then. :)

Offline klesterjr

• Show only replies by klesterjr
« Reply #37 on: November 18, 2013, 03:58:19 PM »
Quote from: bloodline;752952
I am in no way defending the ARIX project, but to be fair to them, you have not been promised anything... You can't feel "duped", yet :)

Really?  Dammy posted this at AW on Oct. 18 ...

Questions should be answered in 30 days when the corporate web site launches and we get active with our FB/TW accounts. We only have one chance to do this properly and as such, we intend to do just that.

Based on that post I waited around for a month to find out what Arix was.  The website went live on time, but contained NO answers.

Offline ferrellsl

• DavidseltyAJ
    • Show only replies by ferrellsl
« Reply #38 on: November 18, 2013, 05:04:15 PM »
Quote from: klesterjr;752967

Based on that post I waited around for a month to find out what Arix was.  The website went live on time, but contained NO answers.

Ah, so you're getting a dose of the smoke and mirrors that I talked about.  You won't be provided any answers because it's already known that you won't like the answers.  Arix will be just another Linux distro or Aros hosted on Linux.  Otherwise they would have already told you the truth.

Offline nicholas

« Reply #39 on: November 18, 2013, 06:06:24 PM »
Quote from: ferrellsl;752969
Ah, so you're getting a dose of the smoke and mirrors that I talked about.  You won't be provided any answers because it's already known that you won't like the answers.  Arix will be just another Linux distro or Aros hosted on Linux.  Otherwise they would have already told you the truth.

Just like MorphOS doesn't have 3D graphics drivers eh?
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #40 on: November 18, 2013, 07:40:26 PM »
Quote from: klesterjr;752967

oh, some member of he project made a post on forums promissing the answers will be provided, and the are not the very moment he mentioned. even if they were late by a week how does that compare to hype and no information let alone cancelling projects and telling they are live by other companies involved in "amiga" scene?

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #41 on: November 18, 2013, 08:52:01 PM »
Having heard about this project awhile ago, I'd agree with Nik, give them time to present their case.
They have some nice features planned.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline nicholas

« Reply #42 on: November 18, 2013, 10:32:56 PM »
All this talk of an Amiga userland on top of a Linux kernel got me reminiscing about the fabled Umilator. Such a shame that slimeballs in suits killed it before it was born.

http://www.amigahistory.co.uk/emulators/umilator_feature.html

Offline SysAdmin

• News posting Auto Agent
    • Show only replies by SysAdmin
    • http://www.a-eon.com
« Reply #43 on: November 19, 2013, 12:04:14 AM »
A.R.I.X. = Another Relational Incognito Xtravagance ?
Posts on this account before August 4th, 2012 don\'t belong to me.

Offline James2002

• Show only replies by James2002
« Reply #44 from previous page: November 19, 2013, 01:04:25 AM »
Quote from: ferrellsl;752458
You guys have certainly made a name for yourselves in my book. I'll be sure not to buy anything you or Dammy are associated with in the future. To say Dammy's write-up is misleading would be kind.
I say let them show us their fruit. It might be very productive of both of us.

As far as I am concern Dammy can be silent. He might not like it. He talks to much. Yes I saw a lot of what he did on here and Cusa forum site. It seemed to me. He is talking out of his butt.

Yes We can't trust Dammy or Terminalls. They need to realize they made mistakes. No offensive to them two. They need to look at what they done to this community.

At least I spent the time trying to see why the Amiga community was mad during that time. And final put all the truth and facts together. It took awhile. I wish I would never join that forum. At least I don't own any products from them. Barry said "Good or bad attention is good for business" In reality it better to live in peace and not start a fight with other groups. Produce products that people can afford.
The only reason for person to own windows. Windows is consider gaming platform. That going to change soon. Wine not the drink. It getting better. Hopefully they get it where programs run either at the same speed as windows program or better.