Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Arix  (Read 18393 times)

Description:

Offline nicholas

Re: Arix
« Reply #14 from previous page: November 20, 2013, 06:28:10 PM »
Quote from: OlafS3;753176
Perhaps they are better than the Aros devs, who knows...

Stop it you're killing me! :roflmao:
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline nicholas

« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2013, 11:08:41 AM »
any OS developer who thinks that "less than 100% compatibility/stability" is OK and actually something to *aim for*, shouldn't be taken seriously as well!

You might want to rethink that statement as MorphOS isn't 100% compatible with Amiga software. ;)
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline nicholas

« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2013, 03:10:29 PM »
Quote from: takemehomegrandma;753272
@vidarh

Well then, this sounds like a plan! Go ahead! :)

@nicholas

Maybe you meant to say that some Amiga SW isn't 100% compatible to a system that's missing Amiga HW?

;)

Nope, there are programs that work on OS4 on systems that lack Amiga hardware too, OctaMED being one example.

It's OK to not be 100% compatible you know.

Offline nicholas

« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2014, 04:24:18 PM »
Quote from: OlafS3;767037
It depends on how you define "AROS". Most people equal AROS with X86 and that has nothing to do with Amithlon. Amithlon (as I know it) compiles 68k code in X86 before running, AROS only runs special compiled software, on X86 you can run X86, on ARM ARM, on PPC PPC software. you cannot mix between platforms and you cannot mix with 68k (like on MorphOS/AmigaOS and Amithlon). Hosted means it is started as a appliation using the resources of the main system, so it is "perhaps" comparable but not really. The only platform where you can mix Aros with 68k is Aros 68k (that way I created Aros Vision)

I'm saying nothing.......

Offline nicholas

« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2014, 07:06:06 PM »
Quote from: XDelusion;767072
On that note, they would have to write their code to specifically take advantage of the addtional CPU's/Cores wouldn't they? That is if they wanted to make use of them

That would be true of ASMP but not neccesarily of SMP where the scheduler usually takes care of it.

Offline nicholas

« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2014, 07:08:39 PM »
Quote from: OlafS3;767044
Huh?

My none-comment was/was not a none-comment regarding the last sentence of your post. Or something like that. ;)

Offline nicholas

« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2014, 09:42:03 AM »
Quote from: Calimeiro;767102
Do you really know what you're talking about?

It appears you don't.

In what way is a heterogenous system related to typical amiga hardware or typical desktop processor? A scheduler does not magically split up tasks into threads and spread them amongst the cores.
Who mentioned threads? The scheduler decides which TASKS run on which cores and moves them around when needed based on CPU load.

Software has to be written to do so (no matter if asymmetric or not).
That would be multi-threading. Do keep up.

The lack of backward compatibillity is another point. Software written for existing and available linux drivers/hardware/smp won't run on bare aros.

Yes they will, it's just slow.

This slows down developement on native aros, if it not kills.

You keep mentioning AROS when were are discussing ARIX. Please pay attention.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2014, 09:44:41 AM by nicholas »

Offline nicholas

« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2014, 06:34:34 PM »
Quote from: persia;767147
So then Linux is hidden in an inaccessible ram disk?  What if you want to run a Linux app like you do in AREOS?

You can't. Same as Amithlon.