Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Arix  (Read 18376 times)

Description:

Offline ferrellsl

Re: Arix
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2013, 02:28:48 AM »
Quote from: haywirepc;752453
All of this thread is just speculation till we see it working. I think phoenixconsole did amazing work with AEROS... Running linux, windows amiga 68k AND amiga ng applications all pretty integrated.

Perhaps this will be just as capable. We should wait and see before we all pass judgement.

I'm not speculating about anything.  I'm referring to the smoke and mirrors marketing spin that came directly off their web site.  But they've taken it down now presumably because their smoke wasn't dense enough to obscure all the bullsh@t they're throwing around.

Offline Terminills

• Grand Conspirator
    • Show only replies by Terminills
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2013, 02:41:27 AM »
Quote from: ferrellsl;752454
I'm not speculating about anything.  I'm referring to the smoke and mirrors marketing spin that came directly off their web site.  But they've taken it down now presumably because their smoke wasn't dense enough to obscure all the bullsh@t they're throwing around.

guess I should reply to this... as you're commenting on placeholder text.  It was exactly that.   It was text Dammy wrote up for while the layout was being done.
Support AROS sponsor a developer.

edited by mod: this has been addressed

Offline ferrellsl

« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2013, 03:02:54 AM »
Quote from: Terminills;752456
guess I should reply to this... as you're commenting on placeholder text.  It was exactly that.   It was text Dammy wrote up for while the layout was being done.

You guys have certainly made a name for yourselves in my book.  I'll be sure not to buy anything you or Dammy are associated with in the future.  To say Dammy's write-up is misleading would be kind.

Offline Terminills

• Grand Conspirator
    • Show only replies by Terminills
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2013, 03:09:45 AM »
Quote from: ferrellsl;752458
You guys have certainly made a name for yourselves in my book.  I'll be sure not to buy anything you or Dammy are associated with in the future.  To say Dammy's write-up is misleading would be kind.

Well since the page isn't even live. ;D
Support AROS sponsor a developer.

edited by mod: this has been addressed

Offline fishy_fiz

• Show only replies by fishy_fiz
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2013, 03:31:49 AM »
No its not linux hosted AROS.
I personally was disinterested until I noticed who was working on it.
Between them theyve written the aros kernel, ported and enhanced it for x86-64, ppc, arm, bakported enhancements to x86, ported aros to the sam boards, written intel, ati, nvidia, vesa drivers, written aros 3d subsystem and drivers, and a shedload of other stuff that typing on a phone makes me lose enthusiasm for typing.
This is no fly-by-night/marketting operation, but real work done by developers who have helped shape aros into the usable system it is today.

As already mentioned the text on the website is nothing more than placeholder text. Given that the initial releases are soon Id expect it'll be replaced soon with something more accurate.

As a longtime AROS user and software dev. Im personally pretty excited about the potential ARIX brings for AROS, although Im also expecting it to invoke quite some misunderstanding and/or misinformation.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 03:33:51 AM by fishy_fiz »
Near as I can tell this is where I write something under the guise of being innocuous, but really its a pot shot at another persons/peoples choice of Amiga based systems. Unfortunately only I cant see how transparent and petty it makes me look.

Offline nicholas

« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2013, 08:16:24 AM »
Quote from: ferrellsl;752439
That's about as ridiculous as OS4 being "merged" with Linux, OSX or Windows.  This is Linux hosting AROS, nothing more, nothing less....except that they want you to pay money for it.

If that were true (and it isn't) what would be wrong with the AROS-Team selling their own work?
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2013, 08:50:29 AM »
Quote from: ferrellsl;752458
I'm impressed by your knowledge of this project, especially given how little information had been given.

You maybe correct in your assertions, but until they are confirmed, you would do well to state that everything you have said is entirely your speculation.

Offline klx300r

• Amiga 1000+AmigaOne X1000
    • Show only replies by klx300r
    • http://mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca/
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2013, 06:49:22 AM »
@ Terminills

good to see you back on the forums :-)

I'll gladly buy Arix OS if it will work better than AspireOS on my netbook as I really love having an Amiga netbook on the go.  I'm really enjoying AspireOS which is running natively on my netbook so I'm curious to see how ArixOS can make my Amiga netbook experience even better.

btw, any chance we can get an update on gutenprint soon ?
--- www.mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca ---
  -AspireOS.com & Amikit- Amiga for your netbook-
***X1000- I BELIEVE *** :angel:

Offline CritAnimeTopic starter

• Previous Life Time Member
    • Show only replies by CritAnime
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2013, 08:22:56 AM »
Quote from: Terminills;752456

Filler text would be something like Lorem ipsum. Just point that out to Dammy next time so he doesn't get carried away and spouts half truths on a site. ;)

I reserve judgment on this project until I can get my hand on it.

Offline B00tDisk

• VIP / Donor - Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by B00tDisk
    • http://www.thedelversdungeon.com
« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2013, 02:13:21 PM »
Quote from: ferrellsl;752454

u mad bro?
Back away from the EU-SSR!

Offline CritAnimeTopic starter

• Previous Life Time Member
    • Show only replies by CritAnime
« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2013, 12:31:52 AM »
Well this, according to my counter, was supposed to have been launched over 30 minutes ago now.

Offline Amiga_Nut

• Show only replies by Amiga_Nut
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2013, 12:41:30 AM »
I have no idea why people even pay for Windows at all when it is so easy to have it without spending a penny ever :)

They have enough money, do the digital Robin Hood and replace 'the poor' with 'me' haha

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2013, 02:16:43 AM »
@ferrellsl
some people who you are here calling clowns are still active aros core developers. why so aggressive? you can still have your aros hosted for free, whats your problem if someone proposes commercial fork? perhaps it will have some benefits. perhaps not. im still in favour of open source and have not a partiucular interest in it myself, without rnning around to spread hate in advance.

Offline klesterjr

• Show only replies by klesterjr
« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2013, 06:34:37 AM »
The website is now live, but I STILL have no idea what Arix is.  The website is virtually empty.  I waited a month for nothing.

I feel duped.

Offline nicholas

« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2013, 09:54:18 AM »
Quote from: klesterjr;752946
The website is now live, but I STILL have no idea what Arix is.  The website is virtually empty.  I waited a month for nothing.

I feel duped.

I have no idea why the site is still empty but I do know what ARIX is (I've used it for a few months) and it really is fantastic.  It's not what ferrels thinks it is, not even close either.
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #29 from previous page: November 18, 2013, 10:50:28 AM »
Quote from: klesterjr;752946

I feel duped.
I am in no way defending the ARIX project, but to be fair to them, you have not been promised anything... You can't feel "duped", yet :)