Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Arix  (Read 18407 times)

Description:

Offline nicholas

Re: Arix
« on: November 10, 2013, 04:08:36 PM »
So a commercial fork of AROS. I wish them luck.

It's much more than that.

Or so I hear anyway. ;)
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline nicholas

« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2013, 08:16:24 AM »
Quote from: ferrellsl;752439
That's about as ridiculous as OS4 being "merged" with Linux, OSX or Windows.  This is Linux hosting AROS, nothing more, nothing less....except that they want you to pay money for it.

If that were true (and it isn't) what would be wrong with the AROS-Team selling their own work?
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline nicholas

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2013, 09:54:18 AM »
Quote from: klesterjr;752946
The website is now live, but I STILL have no idea what Arix is.  The website is virtually empty.  I waited a month for nothing.

I feel duped.

I have no idea why the site is still empty but I do know what ARIX is (I've used it for a few months) and it really is fantastic.  It's not what ferrels thinks it is, not even close either.

Offline nicholas

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2013, 01:09:47 PM »
Quote from: metalmac;752954
Nice to hear someone using it!
I am really interested in this project.
Can you give us something to still our hunger for more info? :)
Dose Arix give us SMP, memmoryprotection for example?

I could say because I'm not under NDA but I won't yet out of respect for the ARIX developers.  I wouldn't want to steal their thunder. ;)

Offline nicholas

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2013, 06:06:24 PM »
Quote from: ferrellsl;752969
Ah, so you're getting a dose of the smoke and mirrors that I talked about.  You won't be provided any answers because it's already known that you won't like the answers.  Arix will be just another Linux distro or Aros hosted on Linux.  Otherwise they would have already told you the truth.

Just like MorphOS doesn't have 3D graphics drivers eh?

Offline nicholas

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2013, 10:32:56 PM »
All this talk of an Amiga userland on top of a Linux kernel got me reminiscing about the fabled Umilator. Such a shame that slimeballs in suits killed it before it was born.

http://www.amigahistory.co.uk/emulators/umilator_feature.html

Offline nicholas

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2013, 06:41:46 PM »
Quote from: ferrellsl;753056
@AJCopland

You're not qualified to tell me what I understand or don't understand as you don't even know me. I actually have a masters degree in computer science from the Univ. of Maryland and a bachelors in the same field from the Univ. of Tampa and I see the bullsh@t that Dammy and terminills have been slinging and it's very misleading and I see lesser informed people here just eat it up like ice cream.

On the subject of "bullsh@t", upon the release of v3.3 you claimed MorphOS lacks hardware 3D support.

You've also been repeatedly told by people who know better than you that your misconceptions about ARIX are also "bullsh@t", yet you continue to argue that black is white.

Not exactly the scientific method is it?

Offline nicholas

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2013, 07:23:46 PM »
Quote from: ferrellsl;753072
I've never claimed that MorphOS lacked 3D support!  I even had a PegII and I liked it! I have claimed that it lacked the 3D functionality that was available on my PC especially in light of the fact that MOS is hobbled with decades old Radeon cards, just like OS4!

As for the bullsh@being slung here, I think the above diagram was lifted from the paper published at the link below and modified for the sake of "convenience", by dammy and terminills, to add more smoke and mirrors to their argument that they've somehow merged an Aros kernel with a Linux kernel. So to be specific, here's the link which clearly shows that this Arix/Linux merged kernel is bullsh@t!

http://tornasol.datsi.fi.upm.es/ciclope-old/doc/rtos/cache/doc/rtlpro.pdf

And as for scientific methods, a powerpoint graphic without any from of documentation and a lame countdown website announcing something new and groundbreaking doesn't constitute "scientific" in any way shape or form.  This is typical grandstanding by Dammy.  This is Anubis Part Deux!  And, BTW, the paper above has verifiable and reputable sources...pretty scientific.

I'll say it one last time, "I have used ARIX over the last few months and it is not what you believe it to be."

Don't just take my word for it, actually reply to Dr Schulz over at aw.net and ask him whatever you want.

Forget Dammy, he isn't one of the developers.

Hint: Think Amithlon/Umilator.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 07:27:11 PM by nicholas »

Offline nicholas

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2013, 08:08:38 PM »
Quote from: ferrellsl;753082
@koaftder

I really don't care if you believe my credentials or not.  Nor do I care if you believe anything I've said.  But I have given you some real sources.  I have NOT set up a grandstanding countdown web-site, made unsubstantiated claims about a dual kernel OS or a "merged" kernel OS, nor posted bogus diagrams having no attributable sources.  Dammy has a history of failed claims and "projects", Anubis being one of note.  Believe in Dammy and Arix as much as you like.

As for dual kernel operating systems, Arix would be the first one in commercial existence They've been created in labs in the past but have never been successful due to inherent design problems and flaws.  So now you'd ask me to believe that Dammy and terminills are the first to deliver a successful dual kernel OS to the world?  That these two have somehow overcome all the inherent issues with dual kernel operating systems that teams of programmers around the word haven't been able to overcome?  Sorry, but that's not going to happen based on what they've shown to date nor based on Dammy's previous track record.

Firstly you are conveniently forgetting the "dual kernel" Amithlon. Secondly Dammy and Terminills haven't created ARIX, (some) of the AROS team have created it, all of them "big name" low level system programmers.

Have you responded to Dr Schulz yet?

ps Your claims regarding MorphOS 3.3 were that it "lacks a useful or STABLE browser" and has an "unacceptable lack of 3D support".

Neither is true.

Offline nicholas

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2013, 08:30:22 PM »
Quote from: ferrellsl;753091
I've stated there have been dual kernel operating systems in the past, created mostly in labs, but for good reasons they've failed in the real world, that includes Amithlon, maybe not for the same reasons that the others failed, but alas, no one can conclude that Amithlon was/is a success. So I haven't conveniently left Amithlon off the list.  My list is all inclusive when it comes to dual kernel operating systems.

Yes, and that was based on my experience with MOS 3.0 several years ago, and my claims about browser stability in those days still stand as do my comments about the level of 3D support which was, if my memory serves me correctly, consisted of a subset of OpenGL 1.2/1.3.  Not exactly modern.  And the 3D support in MOS and OS4 is still woefully lacking today compared to modern systems.  Nothing has changed.

I've looked for Dr. Schulz on AW but I can't find him.  What's his screen name?  I WOULD like to see some documentation or maybe he would be kind enough to provide some on both AW and Amiga.org

You said ARIX would be the "first one in commercial existence", there have been many Amithlon is just one.

Dr Michal Schulz is michalsc over there, he's replied to you in the ARIX Foundation thread.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 08:33:16 PM by nicholas »

Offline nicholas

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2013, 09:15:54 PM »
I know more than most do Jim, but I certainly don't speak for ARIX.

I just wanted to correct any misinformation.

Offline nicholas

« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2013, 10:38:57 PM »

Offline nicholas

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2013, 04:35:23 PM »
Quote from: Iggy;753170
Good quote!
And since its been mentioned I don't have to keep quiet on that one.

"rather similar to AMP"

So folk, our first support for multiple cores.

And if you expect more than ASMP out of Amiga OS 4.2 you might be too optimistic.

Not strictly true Jim, the PowerUP boards could be argued to be the first ASMP implementation. ;)

Offline nicholas

« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2013, 06:28:10 PM »
Quote from: OlafS3;753176
Perhaps they are better than the Aros devs, who knows...

Stop it you're killing me! :roflmao:

Offline nicholas

« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2013, 11:08:41 AM »
any OS developer who thinks that "less than 100% compatibility/stability" is OK and actually something to *aim for*, shouldn't be taken seriously as well!

You might want to rethink that statement as MorphOS isn't 100% compatible with Amiga software. ;)