Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Arix  (Read 18409 times)

Description:

phoenixkonsole

Re: Arix
« Reply #149 from previous page: June 18, 2014, 05:58:52 PM »
Quote from: ferrellsl;767059
@XDelsuion

Arix will also provide multi-processor support, something still lacking in AROS.

Sure but only because it has not been added in Mainstream aros doesn't mean that it can't be added.

BTW the tread is in Repeating-Mode ; )

Offline ferrellsl

« Reply #150 on: June 18, 2014, 06:05:58 PM »
@XDelusion

I don't want to speak for the Arix dev team, but if I understand what Michal Schulz has stated about Arix, Arix uses a modified Linux kernel with an AROS API translation layer or "shim" sitting on top of it.  This allows Arix and AROS applications to make full use of multi-core processors.  Michal gave a very detailed and in-depth overview of Arix some months ago where he explained much of how this worked,  I think the threads were over at AmigaWorld if you're curious about the details.

Offline ferrellsl

« Reply #151 on: June 18, 2014, 06:08:41 PM »
@phoenixkonsole

I hope that multi-processor support IS added to AROS in the future.  I believe that's one of the stated goals but I'm not sure if/when we'll see it in the native AROS releases.

Offline XDelusion

• Alien Breeder
    • Show only replies by XDelusion
    • http://starwarslegacy.net/
« Reply #152 on: June 18, 2014, 06:14:38 PM »
I wonder if this will also improve the state of the graphics card drivers that we currently have. From what I understand we are still missing a lot of features in that department compared to Linux.
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Offline ferrellsl

« Reply #153 on: June 18, 2014, 06:24:05 PM »
@XDelusion

Yes, driver support will be greatly improved under Arix but another positive side effect is that Arix will allow AROS application software developers to continue writing code independently of the AROS/Arix operating system developers.  This will allow for mature, robust application development to occur independently of the native AROS OS and driver development.  

Another unintended side effect, for good or bad depending on your viewpoint, is that some people may just opt to use Arix and lose interest in "native" AROS.

phoenixkonsole

« Reply #154 on: June 18, 2014, 06:53:11 PM »
- sorry misunderstood the last post - just ignore ; )

Offline XDelusion

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #155 on: June 18, 2014, 07:02:04 PM »
Quote from: ferrellsl;767070
@XDelusion

Yes, driver support will be greatly improved under Arix but another positive side effect is that Arix will allow AROS application software developers to continue writing code independently of the AROS/Arix operating system developers.  This will allow for mature, robust application development to occur independently of the native AROS OS and driver development.  

Another unintended side effect, for good or bad depending on your viewpoint, is that some people may just opt to use Arix and lose interest in "native" AROS.

On that note, they would have to write their code to specifically take advantage of the addtional CPU's/Cores wouldn't they? That is if they wanted to make use of them, which I believe in turn would break native AROS support, correct?
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Offline nicholas

« Reply #156 on: June 18, 2014, 07:06:06 PM »
Quote from: XDelusion;767072
On that note, they would have to write their code to specifically take advantage of the addtional CPU's/Cores wouldn't they? That is if they wanted to make use of them

That would be true of ASMP but not neccesarily of SMP where the scheduler usually takes care of it.
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline nicholas

« Reply #157 on: June 18, 2014, 07:08:39 PM »
Quote from: OlafS3;767044
Huh?

My none-comment was/was not a none-comment regarding the last sentence of your post. Or something like that. ;)
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline XDelusion

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #158 on: June 18, 2014, 07:25:04 PM »
Quote from: nicholas;767073
That would be true of ASMP but not neccesarily of SMP where the scheduler usually takes care of it.

Aghh yes, the old (ASMP) American Society of Media Photographers vs (SMP) Symmetric MultiProcessing argument.

I never quite understood that one. ;)

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #159 on: June 18, 2014, 08:29:26 PM »

that still should be confirmed by arix team. we have contradicting statements on that issue.

Offline persia

• Show only replies by persia
« Reply #160 on: June 19, 2014, 01:47:46 AM »
So on ARIX, what filesystems can you use?  Does it have a terminal, a CLI or both?  Is the whole of the Unix directory structure there (/usr, /home, /etc, /var and the rest plus the Amiga directory structure?  Is Xwindows available to run unix apps?   Is an emulator to run Android apps available?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

Offline Calimeiro

• Show only replies by Calimeiro
« Reply #161 on: June 19, 2014, 02:21:45 AM »

Do you really know what you're talking about? In what way is a heterogenous system related to typical amiga hardware or typical desktop processor? A scheduler does not magically split up tasks into threads and spread them amongst the cores. Software has to be written to do so (no matter if asymmetric or not).

The lack of backward compatibillity is another point. Software written for existing and available linux drivers/hardware/smp won't run on bare aros.
This slows down developement on native aros, if it not kills.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2014, 02:43:26 AM by Calimeiro »

Offline Terminills

• Grand Conspirator
    • Show only replies by Terminills
« Reply #162 on: June 19, 2014, 03:29:22 AM »
Quote from: persia;767099
So on ARIX, what filesystems can you use?

FFS, SFS, NTFS , FAT Currently

Does it have a terminal, a CLI or both?  

Cli

Is the whole of the Unix directory structure there (/usr, /home, /etc, /var and the rest plus the Amiga directory structure?

The only place that has the Unix directory structure is the initial Ramdisk.  From the user perspective only the Amiga directory structure is available.

Is Xwindows available to run unix apps?   Is an emulator to run Android apps available?

No and No.
Support AROS sponsor a developer.

edited by mod: this has been addressed

Offline XDelusion

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #163 on: June 19, 2014, 03:44:06 AM »
Quote from: Terminills;767108
FFS, SFS, NTFS , FAT Currently

Cli

The only place that has the Unix directory structure is the initial Ramdisk.  From the user perspective only the Amiga directory structure is available.

No and No.

Sounds a lot like paradise to me. :)

Offline KimmoK

• Show only replies by KimmoK
« Reply #164 on: June 19, 2014, 07:55:30 AM »
Quote from: XDelusion;767109
Sounds a lot like paradise to me. :)

+1

I think it sounds better than what happened with apple moving from system10(or whatever number) to OSX, from legacy lover perspective.

It will be silly if this AROS derivate accelerates from far behind and is the first to do SMP+64bit. (while maintaining a lot of AOS look & feel)

One thing... will ARIX be able to handle memory protection?
- KimmoK
// Windows will never catch us now.
// The multicolor AmigaFUTURE IS NOW !! :crazy: