Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Amiga 4000 takes eight minutes to boot (solved) sort of  (Read 7543 times)

Description:

Offline David WrightTopic starter

Re: Amiga 4000 takes eight minutes to boot
« Reply #14 from previous page: November 29, 2021, 11:43:36 PM »
Anyone here know where in US I can get diagroms?

« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2021, 11:07:35 PM »
Diagroms should be here Monday. Hopefully I can get info that others can interpret.
I have no null modem or serial cable but since video output works maybe read it directly.
Thanks for asking.

« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2021, 03:21:00 AM »
So I put the diagroms in today. Boots quick to diagnostic screen first off.
Ran all the tests  and don’t see any issues. Decided to put in old 3.1 roms just to be sure and it’s the same old thing except since I have 3.2 OS it boots twice , so 16 minutes , lol.

I don’t think diagroms are any good seeing issues with warpengine. All the ram on it work and obviously cpu is good.
Still a funny thing mouse movement is flaky in workbench but if I go into a diagnostic program like amiga test it runs smooth. If I can get back to workbench it works well again.

So thats it, without another cpu board I can’t run any more tests. May seek out tech guru and have it looked at.

« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2021, 10:10:16 PM »
Here is photo showing jumpers but I have played with all kinds of options to no avail.

As far as bad OS, doesn't matter. Tried without and using barebones install. Two button hold down takes 8 or so minutes also.

Bad caps or chips. Possible.

« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2021, 02:22:42 AM »
Do you mean the warp memory or system?
Took out all of warp memory no change. As far as checking memory amiga test kit tested all of it. Removing board memory makes me nervous, very good chance of damaging clips.

« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2021, 07:34:26 PM »
As previously stated I have no better luck on wait time if I just do basic boot up with insert disk prompt.
As of now I have the 3.1 roms installed and no different.

Removed jumper on D and no change.
Ram installed on Warp 128mb, 18mb on MB. All tested and good.
When I installed OS 3.2 I used Winuae  but again, the issue persists with out a boot from there.

Thanks all for staying with me on this.

« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2021, 10:12:22 PM »
Yes

« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2021, 01:06:17 PM »
Using another cpu board was discussed earlier in the thread. That is the next logical step . Thanks for the offer but I am in Michigan.

« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2021, 07:47:36 PM »
I show here the scsi ribbon set up, connecting on card, CD and back plate scsi connector.
I also try booting with cable completely disconnected.

Also show jumper connection on MB for Mechy.

« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2021, 10:24:57 PM »
I believe I removed them now. Are they the three pins aligned in a row next to scsi cable connection?

« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2021, 11:13:58 PM »
Yes checked manual. Thats it. No change.
I’m thinking scsi problems aren’t it.
This hobby is fun.

« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2021, 02:37:44 AM »
Sorry for your issues Scuzz, I feel it. Playing with all this old stuff requires grit and patience.

Now, coincidentally I just came here to announce it is mostly solved.
I Took all of the jumpers off the scsi settings on Warp card and now, voila, everything boots fine. No erratic mouse movement either. I know I have done this  a few times before but nothing worked. Maybe in conjunciton with another jumper removed (or added) or scsi cable removed completley, I don't know. But there it is.

Does that mean I can't use the scsi connection anymore. I do have a half assed cd rom (scsi) that is now working properly anyways . In the future a ide cd rom maybe?

A sincere thanks for all those that looked at this and gave their input and consideration. Pat the Cat comes to mind who was closest,(prob a few others). Pat did the math on time for lun check and the like and came up with a comparable time.

There still the age old issue of it now hanging on last signal for suspended booting. Always happens after I move too many things around or leave idle for months. Then at some time when powering up it just happens and stays good. That happened yesterday.
That my friends is for another day.
Thanks all and Merry Christmas.

Re: Amiga 4000 takes eight minutes to boot (solved) sort of
« Reply #26 on: December 24, 2021, 05:51:36 PM »
Yes on the warp card. I had done a total removal before but didn’t change anything then. Maybe a combination of another jumper or disconnect device, not sure.

Re: Amiga 4000 takes eight minutes to boot (solved) sort of
« Reply #27 on: December 25, 2021, 02:49:56 PM »
Well at least it works now and boots fast. Screw scsi, I will live without it. Probably will put an Ide cd-rom drive in it