Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: A-EON Technology acquires OctaMED  (Read 32786 times)

Description:

Offline XDelusion

• Alien Breeder
    • Show all replies
    • http://starwarslegacy.net/
Re: A-EON Technology acquires OctaMED
« on: February 16, 2015, 02:26:08 PM »
This is exceptional news! Alas, my Efika will be used till smoke is running out of it! Freaking awesome!

Now if ALL of the next Gen Amigas can get decent MIDI support.
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Offline XDelusion

• Alien Breeder
    • Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2015, 10:54:41 PM »
Quote from: Yasu;784496
If so, they should not tempt us with "possible MorphOS and AROS versions". If they want a bounty or a pre-order system (I prefer the latter. Then we don't have to pay double for the products) then they should just make it happen and watch the money rolling in.

Add a "preorder for MorphOS" and "preorder for AROS (x86 and x64)" on your homepage, with a counter telling how many orders left that is needed and withdraw the money once it reaches zero.

Waiting for the community to figure out how to make money for you is kinda lazy :p

I agree.
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Offline XDelusion

• Alien Breeder
    • Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2015, 02:16:55 AM »
Quote from: kolla;784518
OS3.1 compatible and clean 68k binaries work everywhere, no big deal with MorphOS and AROS versions. I'm sure they are even prepared to fix minor issues to make sure it works flawlessly on MorphOS and AROS.

That's another point, and come to think of it, I believe that all that prevents it from working under MorphOS is AHI support.

As for AROS, well perhaps a bounty could be raise to lease the source or what ever, and pay someone to write a port with the bounty, though again... us so called Next Gen Amiga users lack many media based features that we now take for granted on the classic Amiga, like MIDI support.

Offline XDelusion

• Alien Breeder
    • Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2015, 01:59:21 PM »
Quote from: danwood;784601
It shouldn't come as much of a surprise really, A-Eonkit make OS4 hardware so that is the focus of their software development too.  Other "Amiga-like" OSes are not really in their business model.

Well if they are trying to dictate which OS wins out... they won't see me buying their products as I only use MorphOS and AROS at the time being, at least till FAST FPGA solutions emerge as I believe I am officially over classic hardware and all the money it takes to keep it up, keep it stable, and expand its capabilities.

Offline XDelusion

• Alien Breeder
    • Show all replies
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2015, 09:07:33 PM »
Quote from: Terminills;784653
That would be a valid argument if there was a large amount of development required to port between our platforms.

Correct! There should in theory be minimal effort in porting, thus minimal effort in expanding the user base and therefore sales. They would be fools not to.

Offline XDelusion

• Alien Breeder
    • Show all replies
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2015, 10:41:10 PM »
Quote from: danbeaver;784664
Whose theorem is this research based on?  "Should" covers all manner of sins, doesn't it.

I'm no coder, I don't know that for a fact, and I know that some things such as ScummVM seem to compile just fine on MorphOS without any tweaks to the code, where as on AROS...

...well your guess is as good as mine.

It's their property now, they can do what they want, but I just can not imagine that porting something from one OS, to an OS that is heavily based upon the original, could be all that much drama in the end. If they want to expand their market base, they owe it to them selves to at least take a look. At least I'd hope they are thinking about the whole Amiga community, and not just users of this Amiga flavor or that.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 12:47:53 AM by XDelusion »