Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Wii vs. CD32  (Read 5199 times)

Description:

Offline alexh

• Show all replies
    • http://thalion.atari.org
Re: Wii vs. CD32
« on: March 30, 2008, 04:38:54 PM »

Phantom wrote:
I prefer CD32 at all costs.

You'd have to be a masochist to feel like that. Or just like telling stories to generate controversy ;-) Or you dont like games and gaming at all, you just like nostalgia?

I can sort of understand, I am an Amiga Fanboy, but I am also a gamer who owns and plays all platforms, and I say the best thing about the CD32 was its medium's capacity (CD, 700Mbytes) which can now be exploited with WHDLoad!

The CD32 was $hite. Most of the games were $hite, floppy disk games just ported over. There are one or two gems amongst the fodder but as a whole it was a complete and utter failure! Every mainstream games console which came after the CD32 was more fun. Simply because they had the time and money invested in them and lots of developers creating exciting new games that embraced the technology that just wasn't there for the CD32 :-(

Phantom wrote:
To say the truth, Nintendo, for me is crap (about games). They  have games only for children, well most of them.

The Wii is a great console, games have amazing innovative designs the ideas generated in the controllers will be with us for years.

If you say the games are only for children, that is because you have never actually looked at any games and are just jumping to a media-hyped stereotypical view of Nintendo without any sampling of Adult games at all. That's kind poor from you.

Medal of Honor: Heroes 2 is an amazing game. The gameplay offered via the WiiZapper sets it apart from any other FPS game on any console. It merges games like House of the Dead, Time Crisis, Virtua Cop with a great Medal of Honor FPS.

Super Metroid Prime 3, brilliant puzzles in a great 3D platformer which is also an FPS. Unique gameplay centered around the wireless motion sensing controllers.

Smarty-Pants combines Trivial pursuit with the Wiimote controllers. Great fun when you've got friends round and you want a more cerebral game.

Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock, amazing idea first seen on the PS2, brilliant on any platform. Hours of fun.

Some of the games for kids are great fun for adults too:

Wii Sports, Super Paper Mario, Super Mario Kart, Super Mario Galaxy, Legend of Zelda Twilight pricess, Zak and Wiki, .

They all offer better entertainment, longevity and fun never seen any CD32 title.

Offline alexh

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2008, 04:49:49 PM »

motorollin wrote:
The Wii is great for short bursts IMO, but I very quickly get bored until the next time. On the other hand, I could play on my CD32 for hours ;-)

Sounds to me like you probably only have one game for your wii, Wii sports. Get out there and buy (or download ;-)) some more games.

Start playing Super Metroid Prime 3 or Medal of Honor: Heroes 2 or Bully: Scholarship Edition and you wont be doing short bursts.

Zak and Wiki: Quest for Barbaros treasure is great too.. very much in the style of a lucas arts adventure such as Monkey Island.

If you liked Speedball II, then how come you're not playing Mario Strikers Charged Football?

Offline alexh

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2008, 02:22:50 PM »

lou_dias wrote:
So when Wii gets CD32 games on the Virtual Console, would it then be better than the CD32?

I doubt that will happen, at least not for good CD32 titles. The data files are too large.

lou_dias wrote:
What would be more interesting is that now that the Wii is hacked, if it did get CD32 games, we essentially could modify it to inject a 3.9 Workbench boot-up...and we'd have UAE on Wii for peanuts...

Should be possible.. just don't upgrade your Wii firmware as they have already released a fix for the homebrew flaw.