Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Total Chaos problems  (Read 4753 times)

Description:

Offline SamuraiCrow

• Show all replies
Re: Total Chaos problems
« on: December 31, 2009, 05:28:32 PM »
Check your AHI installation and preferences.  There were some experiments with trying to get retargetable audio working with Total Chaos but I don't know if any of them made it to a current release.

Also, the first time you run Total Chaos it takes a while to unpack all of the music files and sound samples except the music file it plays while it's unpacking.

Offline SamuraiCrow

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2010, 01:46:38 AM »
The Fat32 filesystem doesn't support all of the Amiga-specific flags that are used by Total Chaos.  You'll have to reformat it to be an Amiga-compatible filesystem.  If you have another hard drive I'd suggest running it on the harddrive first and then exit right away and copy the entire unpacked directory to your flash card to save wear and tear on it.

Also, be sure that you use a version of LHA that compatibly unpacks large archives successfully such as the one contained in http://aminet.net/util/arc/LhA_e138.run .

Offline SamuraiCrow

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2010, 04:15:16 AM »
I'm not familiar with wblite.  If you link me to it I can give more exact instructions.

The LhA file I linked you to was a stable version of the LhA archiver.  To dearchive a file it would be something you first drag the .run file I pointed you to to the ram disk.  Then double-click the ram disk icon, from the Windows menu go to the Show item and select All Files from the submenu.  When workbench refreshes the window with all the icons visible, double-click the .run file you just dragged there.  There should pop up a requester with the filename that you just double-clicked on.  Click on the button that tells you to execute the program.  The .run file will uncompress itself onto the Ram Disk.

The next step is to copy the lha program to your boot disk.  To do that, highlight the window for your boot disk or if it isn't open, double click on your wblite disk.  If it looks empty, do the Show All Files menu thing again.  Drag the lha program from the RAM disk to the C directory.

Now comes the part I can't really steer you through by remote control:  reformatting your flash card.  On a standard workbench install there is a utility called HDToolbox that lets you reformat and partition hard-drive like devices.  I suspect wblite doesn't have it, in which instance you may be in trouble.

Before I try to help you through the rest of your install process, you'd better post more information about your system boot disk.

Offline SamuraiCrow

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2010, 03:09:33 PM »
Quote from: ChaosLord;583386
EUAE has no JIT so its virtual 680x0 cpu is very very very very slow.

The first time u run the game, all sfx and music and speech must be audio decompressed.  This takes 6 mins on a real Amiga but it could easily take 2 hours on EUAE.

Thankfully, the decompression is only done one time ever.  The 2nd time you start the game it is reasonably quick.

I never used EUAE or UAE.  I only have used WinUAE.  When I play Total Chaos I use the following settings:
CPU 68020
FPU YES
Immediate Blits YES
64MB Fastram
8MB Chipram
Kicstart 3.1
AGA YES

One comment:  EUAE on an Intel 32-bit machine has a JIT (eg. Intel Mac).  Running on AMD64 or PPC doesn't have a JIT.  It's for that reason that I never tried running it on my OS 4 box.